A recently developed technique to design and model an isolated Defected Ground Structure (DGS) has been employed to successfully design and characterize a DGS to be used in between two microstrip patches to reduce their mutual coupling. This is the only technique that can handle isolated DGS and as such has been explored for microstrip antennas in this paper for the firt time. An X-band design has been examined. A prototype is used to obtain measured data which are employed to verify the technique experimentally for microstrip array.
2. Guha, D., M. Biswas, and Y. M. M. Antar, "Microstrip patch antenna with defected ground structure for cross polarization suppression," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagation Lett., Vol. 4, 455-458, 2005.
3. Guha, D., S. Biswas, M. Biswas, J. Y. Siddiqui, and Y. M. M. Antar, "Concentric ring-shaped defected ground structures for microstrip applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagation Lett., Vol. 5, 402-405, 2006.
4. Salehi, M., A. Motevasselian, A. Tavakoli, and T. Heidari, "Mutual coupling reduction of microstrip antennas using defected ground structure," 10th IEEE International Conference on Communication Systems, 1-5, 2006.
5. Moghadas, H., A. Tavakoli, and M. Salehi, "Elimination of scan blindness in microstrip scanning array antennas using defected ground structure," Int. J. Electron. Commun. (AEU), 155-158, 2008.
6. Hou, D.-B., et al., "Elimination of scan blindness with compact defected ground structures in microstrip phased array," IET Microwave Antennas Propag., Vol. 3, No. 2, 269-275, 2009.
7. Guha, D., S. Biswas, T. Joseph, and M. T. Sebastian, "Defected ground structure to reduce mutual coupling between cylindrical dielectric resonator antennas," Electronic Lett., Vol. 44, 836-837, 2005.
8. Mahmoudian, A. and J. Rashed-Mohassel, "Reduction of EMI and mutual coupling in array antennas by using DGS and AMC structures," PIERS Online, Vol. 4, No. 1, 36-40, 2008.
9. Zulkifli, i, F. Y., E. T. Rahardjo, and D. Hartanto, "Mutual coupling reduction using dumbbell defected ground structure for multiband microstrip antenna array," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 13, 29-40, 2010.
10. Vazquez, C., G. Hotopan, S. Ver Hoeye, M. Fernandez, L. F. Herran, and F. Las-Heras, "Defected ground structure for coupling reduction between probe fed microstrip antenna elements," PIERS Proceedings, 640-644, Cambridge, USA, Jul. 5-8, 2010.
11. Abdel-Rahaman, A. B., "Coupling reduction of antenna array elements using small interdigital capacitor loaded slots," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 27, 15-26, 2012.
12. Biswas, S. and D. Guha, "Stop-band characterization of an isolated DGS for reducing mutual coupling between adjacent antenna elements and experimental verification for dielectric resonator antenna array," Int. J. Electron. Commun. (AEU), 2012.
13. Guha, D., "Resonant frequency of circular microstrip antennas with and without air gaps," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propag., Vol. 49, No. 1, 55-59, 2001.
14., , High Frequency Structure Simulator (HFSS), Ansoft, v 11.1.
15. Ahn, D., J. S. Park, C. S. Kim, J. Kim, Y. Qian, and T. Itoh, "A design of the low-pass filter using the novel microstrip defected ground structure," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 49, No. 1, 86-93, Jan. 2001.
16. Chang, I. and B. Lee, "Design of defected ground structures for harmonic control of active microstrip antenna," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 2, 852-855, 2002.
17. Hong, J. S. and M. J. Lancaster, "Microstrip Filters for RF/Microwave Applications," John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2001.
18. Gupta, K. C., R. Garg, I. Bhal, and P. Bhartia, Microstrip Lines and Slotlines, Artech House, UK, 1996.
19., , Ansoft Designer, Ansoft, v 2.0.