There are various techniques for the deposition of SiO2 films on silicon. Flame Hydrolysis Deposition (FHD) techniques is the most economical technique for the deposition of SiO2 films. In this technique the SiO2 films are deposited by hydrolysis of SiCl4 in a high temperature H2-O2 flame. In the present study we present the growth of SiO2 films by indigenously developed FHD system and organic compound Tetraethoxyorthosiliate/Tetraethoxysilane TEOS as source of silicon. The films deposited by the FHD system are porous and need annealing at higher temperatures for the densification. We present here for the first time direct dense glassy transparent SiO2 films deposited by our FHD system. The optical properties of the deposited films were studied by ellipsometery. FTIR spectroscopy was carried out to study the various characteristic peaks of SiO2 bonds. The peaks corresponding to Si-O-Si stretching, bending and rocking modes are observed at 1090 cm-1, 812 cm-1 and 463 cm-1 respectively. The absence of peaks corresponding to the OH bond in the deposited film reveals that the deposited films are most suitable for the photonic devices application. The surface analysis was carried out using SEM. The EDAX of the deposited film confirms the composition of the Si and O in the deposited film.
2. Yang, T., S. Song, H. Dong, and R. Ba, "Waveguide structures for generation of terahertz radiation by electro-optical process in GaAs and ZnGeP2 using 1.55 m fiber laser pulses," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 2, 95-102, 2008.
3. Wen, F. and B.-J. Wu, "Diffraction efficiency enhancement of guided optical waves by magnetostatic forward volume waves in the Yttrium-Iron-Garnet waveguide coated with perfect mental layers," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 1, 209-218, 2008.
4. Sotoodeh, Z., B. Biglarbegian, F. H. Kashani, and H. Ameri, "A novel bandpass waveguide filter structure on SIW technology," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 2, 141-148, 2008.
5. Amjadi, S. M. and M. Soleimani, "Design of band-pass waveguide filter using frequency selective surfaces loaded with surface mount capacitors based on split-field update fdtd method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 3, 271-281, 2008.
6. Mondal, M. and A. Chakrabarty, "Resonant length calculation and radiation pattern synthesis of longitudinal slot antenna in rectangular waveguide," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 3, 187-195, 2008.
7. Park, J. K., J. N. Lee, D. H. Shinan, and H. J. Eom, "A full-wave analysis of a coaxial waveguide slot bridge using the fourier transform technique," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 2, 143-158, 2006.
8. Li, Y. Y., P. F. Gu, M. Y. Li, H. Yan, and X. Liu, "Research on the wide-angle and broadband 2D photonic crystal polarization splitter," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 2, 265-273, 2006.
9. El Sabbagh, M. A. and M. H. Bakr, "Analytical dielectric constant sensitivity of ridge waveguide filters," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 3, 363-374, 2006.
10. Maurya, S. N., V. Singh, B. Prasad, and S. P. Ojha, "Modal analysis and waveguide dispersion of an optical waveguide having a cross-section of the shape of a cardioid," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 8, 1021-1035, 2006.
11. Chang, H.-W. and W.-C. Cheng, "Analysis of dielectric waveguide termination with tilted facets by analytic continuity method," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 12, 1653-1662, 2007.
12. Kawachi, M., "Silica waveguides on silicon and their application to integrated optic components," Optical and Quantum Elec., Vol. 22, 391, 1990.
13. Valette, S., S. Renard, H. Denis, J. P. Jadot, A. Founier, P. Philippe, P. Gidon, and E. Desgranges, "Si-based integrated optics technologies," Solid State Technol., Vol. 32, No. 2, 69, 1989.
14. Henry, C. H., G. E. Blonder, and R. F. Kazarinov, "Glass waveguides on silicon for hybrid optical packaging," J. Lightwave Technol., Vol. 7, 1530, 1989.
15. Izawa, T., H. Mori, Y. Murakami, and N. Shimizu, "Deposited silica waveguide for integrated optical circuits," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 38, 483, 1981.
16. Kawachi, M., M. Yasu, and T. Edahiro, "Fabrication of SiO2-TiO2 glass planar optical waveguides by Flame Hydrolysis Deposition," Electro. Lett., Vol. 19, No. 5, 583, 1983.
17. Kawachi, M., M. Yasu, and M. Kobayashi, "Flame Hydrolysis Deposition of SiO2-TiO2 glass planar optical waveguide on silicon," Jpn. J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 22, 1932, 1983.
18. Nourshargh, N. A., E. M. Starr, and T. M. Ong, "Integrated optic 1 × 4 splitter in SiO/GeO2," Electron. Lett., Vol. 25, 981, 1989.
19. Kashyap, R., B. J. Ainslie, and G. D. Maxwell, "Second harmonic generation in GeO2 rigid waveguide," Electron. Lett., Vol. 25, 206, 1989.
20. Hickernell, F. S., "Optical waveguides on silicon," Solid State Technol., Vol. 31, No. 11, 83, 1988.
21. Kim, Y. J. and D. W. Shin, "Compositional analysis of SiO2 optical film fabricated by Flame Hydrolysis Deposition," Journal of Ceramic Processing Research, Vol. 3, No. 3, 186-191, 2002.
22. Lucovsky, G., M. J. Manitini, J. K. Srivastava, and E. A. Irene, "Low temperature growth of silicon dioxide films: A study of chemical bonding by ellipsometry and infrared spectroscopy," J. Vac. Sci. Technol. B, Vol. 5, No. 2, 530, 1987.
23. Rojas, S., et al., "Properties of silicon dioxide films prepared by low-pressure chemical vapor deposition from tetraethylorthosilicate," J. Vac. Sci. Technol. B, Vol. 8, No. 6, 1177-1184, Nov/Dec. 1990.
24. Becker, F. S., D. Pawlik, H. Anzinger, and A. Spitzer, "Low-pressure deposition of highquality SiO2 films by pyrolisis of tetraethylorthosilicate," J. Vac. Sci. Technol. B, Vol. 5, 1555, 1987.
25. Sassela, A., "Tetrahedron model for the optical dielectric function of H-rich silicon oxynitride," Phy. Rev. B, Vol. 48, 14208, 1993.
26. Gallener, F. L., "Band limits and the vibrational spectra of tetrahedral glasses," Phy. Rev. B, Vol. 19, 4292, 1979.
27. Sen, P. N. and M. F. Thorpe, "Phonons in AX2 glasses: From molecular to band like modes," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 15, 4030, 1977.
28. Boyd, I. W., "Deconvolution of the infrared absorption peak of the vibrational stretching mode of silicon dioxide: Evidence for structural order?," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 51, 418, 1987.
29. Tolstoy, V. P., I. V. Chernysnova, and V. A. Skryshevsky, Handbook of Infrared Spectroscopy of Ultrathin Films, John Wile & Sons Inc., NJ, 2003.
30. Kim, Y. T., S. M. Cho, Y. G. Seo, H. D. Yoon, Y. M. Im, and D. H. Yoon, "Influence of hydrogen on SiO2 thick film deposited by PECVD and FHD for silica optical waveguide," Cryst. Res. Technol., Vol. 37, No. 12, 1257-1263, 2002.
31. Edahiro, T., M. Kawachi, S. Sudo, and S. Tomaru, "Deposition properties of high silica particles in the flame hydrolysis reaction for optical fiber fabrication," Jap. J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 19, No. 11, 2047-2054, 1980.
32. Shin, H., J.-H. Yi, J.-G. Baek, and M. Choi, "Preperation and characterization of SiO2-B2O3-P2O5 particles and films generated by flame hydrolysis deposition for planar lightwave circuits," J. Material Res., Vol. 17, No. 2, 315-322, 2002.
33. Pliskin, W. A. and H. S. Lehman, "Structural evaluation of silicon oxide films," J. Electrochem Soc., Vol. 112, 1013, 1965.
34. Shirai, H. and R. Takeda, "Determination of thickness of thin thermal oxide layers on Czochralski grown silicon wafers from their longitudinal optical vibrational mode," Jpn. J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 35, 3876, 1996.
35. Devine, R. A. B., "Structural nature of the Si/SiO2 interface through infrared spectroscopy," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 68, 3108, 1996.
36. Bjorkman, C. H., T. Yamazaki, S. Miyazaki, and M. Hirose, "Analysis of infrared attenuated total reflection spectra from thin SiO2 films on Si," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 77, 313, 1995.