This paper presents two circuits for a high power GaN/AlGaN HEMT based self oscillating Active Integrated Antenna (AIA) using feedback topology. The first circuit, a fixed frequency high power source, is designed using a two-port T-coupled patch antenna in parallel feedback of a device. This circuit radiates 41 dBm power at 2.34 GHz frequency when being biased at Vgs = -2.1 V and Vds = 25 V. The second circuit, a frequency reconfigurable high power source, is designed using a frequency reconfigurable T-coupled two-port patch antenna in parallel feedback of a device. Frequency reconfigurability is achieved in the second circuit by adding one more strip and two pin diodes at both sides of centre patch of the two-port patch antenna. Change of biasing voltage of pin diodes changes the frequency of oscillation of the circuit. This circuit radiates 32.4 dBm power at 2.1 GHz when pin diodes are off and radiates 32 dBm power at 2.7 GHz when pin diode is on. To the best of our knowledge, the first circuit implemented radiates the highest power using single device whereas the second circuit is the first implementation of reconfigurable oscillating AIA in GaN and also delivers the same power in both states. Each circuit measures 80 mm x 80 mm.
2. Chang, K., R. A. York and P. S. Hall T. Itoh, "Active integrated antennas," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 50, No. 3, 937-944, Mar. 2002.
3. Qian, Y. and T. Itoh, "Progress in active integrated antennas and their applications," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 46, No. 11, 1891-1900, Nov. 1998.
4. Choi, D.-H. and S.-O. Park, "Active integrated antenna using a T-shaped microstrip coupled-patch antenna," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, 434-436, Mar. 2005.
5. Qin, Y., S. Gao, and A. Sambell, "Broadband high-efficiency circularly polarized active antenna and array for RF front-end application," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 54, No. 7, 2910-2916, Jul. 2006.
6. Lee, J., C. T. M. Wu, and T. Itoh, "A power efficient active integrated antenna," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 55, No. 6, 1240-1243, 2013.
7. Ooi, S. F., S. K. Lee, A. Sambell, E. Korolkiewicz, and S. Scott, "A new approach to the design of a compact high efficiency active integrated antenna," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 50, No. 3, 585-589, Mar. 2008.
8. Mishra, U. K., P. Parikh, and Y.-F. Wu, "AlGaN/GaN HEMTs — An overview of device operation and applications," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 90, No. 6, 1022-1031, Jun. 2002.
9. Van Leeuwen, J. (ed.), Computer Science Today. Recent Trends and Developments. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol. 1000, Springer-Verlag, Berlin Heidelberg, New York, 1995.
10. Kaper, V. S., et al., "High-power monolithic AlGaN/GaN HEMT oscillator," IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits, Vol. 38, No. 9, 1457-1461, Sept. 2003.
11. Micovic, M., et al., "GaN MMIC technology for microwave and millimeter-wave applications," IEEE Compound Semiconductor Integrated Circuit Symposium, 2005, CSIC '05, 173–176, Palm Springs, CA, USA, 2005.
12. Pengelly, R. S., S. M. Wood, J. W. Milligan, S. T. Sheppard, and W. L. Pribble, "A review of GaN on SiC high electron-mobility power transistors and MMICs," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 60, No. 6, 1764-1783, Jun. 2012.
13. Kumari, R., A. Basu, and S. K. Koul, "Development of GaN HEMT based high power active integrated antenna," 2018 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave and RF Conference (IMaRC), 1-4, Kolkata, India, 2018.
14. Wandinger, L. and V. Nalbandian, "Millimeter-wave power combiner using quasi-optical techniques," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 31, 189-193, Feb. 1983.
15. Choi, D. H. and S. O. Park, "Active integrated antenna using a T-shaped microstrip coupled patch antenna," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 44, No. 5, 434-436, Mar. 2005.
16. Ma, T., Y. Chang, H. N. Chu, and W. Liao, "Frequency reconfigurable self-oscillating active integrated antenna using metamaterial resonators and slotted ground radiator," 2019 13th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), 1-5, Krakow, Poland, 2019.
17. Cai, M., X. Li, and G. Yang, "C-band self-oscillating active integrated antenna," 2017 IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation & USNC/URSI National Radio Science Meeting, 1209-1210, San Diego, CA, 2017.
18. Wu, C. and T. Ma, "Self-oscillating semi-ring active integrated antenna with frequency reconfigurability and voltage-controllability," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 61, No. 7, 3880-3885, Jul. 2013.
19. Liu, Y. and H. Chang, "Design of a V-band Active Integrated Antenna (AIA) with voltage controlled oscillator," Proceedings of the 2012 IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation, 1-2, Chicago, IL, 2012.
20. Kumari, R., A. Basu, and S. K. Koul, "An oscillator type active integrated antenna using GaN/AlGaN HEMT with maximum power at second harmonic," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 93, 21-26, 2020.