This letter proposes a novel single-layer fourth-order balanced bandpass filter based on two coupled dual-mode loop resonators. Two pairs of balanced input/output (IO) feeding lines with unequal arms are employed to excite the outside dual-mode loop resonator, and the inside dual-mode loop resonator with meander lines is coupled to the outside one. Under differential-mode (DM) operation, three finite transmission zeros (FTZs) can be produced and controlled. Under common mode (CM) operation, the rejection level can be controlled by the length of IO feeding arms. For the demonstration, a balanced dual-mode loop filter with the center frequency of 5.2 GHz is designed, fabricated, and measured. The proposed balanced filter has the advantages of compact size, high selectivity, wide stopband of DM response, and good CM suppression.
2. Wu, C., C. Wang, and C. H. Chen, "Novel balanced coupled-line bandpass filters with common-mode noise suppression," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 55, No. 2, 287-295, Feb. 2007.
3. Wu, C., C. Wang, and C. H. Chen, "Stopband-extended balanced bandpass filter using coupled stepped-impedance resonators," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 17, No. 7, 507-509, Jul. 2007.
4. Yan, T., D. Lu, J. Wang, and X. Tang, "High-selectivity balanced bandpass filter with mixed electric and magnetic coupling," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 26, No. 6, 398-400, Jun. 2016.
5. Feng, W. and W. Che, "Novel wideband differential bandpass filters based on T-shaped structure," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 60, No. 6, 1560-1568, Jun. 2012.
6. Shi, J. and Q. Xue, "Balanced bandpass filters using center-loaded half-wavelength resonators," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 58, No. 4, 970-977, Apr. 2010.
7. Gu, H., L. Ge, and L. Xu, "Simple dual-mode balanced bandpass filter with high selectivity and extended common-mode noise suppression," Electronics Letters, Vol. 54, No. 13, 833-835, Jun. 28, 2018.
8. Guo, X., L. Zhu, and W. Wu, "A new concept of partial electric/magnetic walls for application in design of balanced bandpass filters," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 67, No. 4, 1308-1315, 2019.
9. Qiu, L. and Q. Chu, "Balanced bandpass filter using stub-loaded ring resonator and loaded coupled feed-line," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 25, No. 10, 654-656, 2015.
10. Feng, W., W. Che, and Q. Xue, "Balanced filters with wideband common mode suppression using dual-mode ring resonators," IEEE Trans. Circuits Syst. I, Reg. Papers, Vol. 62, No. 6, 1499-1507, 2015.
11. Hong, J. S. and M. J. Lancaster, Microstrip Filters for RF/Microwave Applications, Wiley, New York, 2001.