The paper focuses on design and analysis of hexagon inspired fractal geometry and defected ground plane to evaluate the performance of patch antenna for wireless applications. It also emphasizes increasing the antenna bandwidth by incorporating novel rectangular Defected Ground Surface (DGS) structure with CPW feed. In the proposed work, antenna is simulated and fabricated for wireless applications using FR4 as the substrate, and it covers wide band with high gain. The antenna resonates at frequencies of 3.79 GHz and 5.5 GHz with measured return losses of -25.02 dB and -26.03 dB, respectively, making the proposed antenna suitable for Wi-Fi, cordless phone, wireless devices and wireless sensor networks applications.
2. Huitema, L. and T. Monediere, "Compact antennas — An overview," Progress in Compact Antennas, InTech, 2014.
13. Patel, R. H. and T. K. Upadhyaya, "Compact planar dual band antenna for WLAN application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 70, 89-97, 2017.
4. Patel, R. H., A. Desai, and T. Upadhyaya, "A discussion on electrically small antenna property," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 57, 2386-2388, 2015.
5. Howell, J., "Microstrip antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 23, No. 1, 90-93, January 1975.
6. Mandelbrot, B. B., Fractals, John Wiley & Sons, Inc, 1997.
7. Azari, A. and J. Rowhani, "Ultra wideband fractal microstrip antenna design," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 2, 7-12, 2008.
8. Abraham, J., K. K. Aju John, and T. Mathew, "Micro strip antenna based on Durer Pentagon Fractal patch for multi band wireless application," ICICES2014, S. A. Engineering College, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India ISBN No.978-1-4799-3834-6/14.
9. Dalsania, P., B. Shah, T. Upadhyaya, and V. V. Dwivedi, "Analysis of multiband behaviour on square patch fractal antenna," 2012 International Conference on Communication Systems and Network Technologies (CSNT), 76-78, IEEE, May 2012.
10. Taghadosi, M., L. Albasha, N. Qaddoumi, and M. Ali, "Miniaturized printed elliptical nested fractal multiband antenna for energy harvesting applications," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 9, No. 10, 1045-1053, 2015.
11. Varadhan, C., J. K. Pakkathillam, M. Kanagasabai, R. Sivasamy, R. Natarajan, and S. K. Palaniswamy, "Triband antenna structures for RFID systems deploying fractal geometry," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 12, 1536, IEEE, 2013.
12. Werner, D. H. and S. Gangul, "An overview of fractal antenna engineering research," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 45, No. 1, 38-57, February 2003.
13. Hu, S., Y. Wu, Y. Zhang, and H. Zhou, "Design of a CPW-fed ultra-wide band antenna," Open Journal of Antennas and Propagation, 18-22, SciRes, September 2013.
14. Pandey, A., S. Singhal, and A. K. Singh, "CPW-fed third iterative square shaped fractal antenna for UWB applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 58, No. 1, 92-99, January 2016.
15. Bhatt, S., P. Mankodi, A. Desai, and R. Patel, "Analysis of ultra-wideband fractal antenna designs and their applications for wireless communication: A Survey," International Conference on Inventive Systems and Control (ICISC 2017), January 2017.
16. Cohen, N., "Fractal antenna applications in wireless telecommunications," Professional Program Proceedings, 43-49, Electronic Industries Forum of New England, Boston, MA, 1997.
17. Yang, X., J. Chiochetti, D. Papadopolous, and L. Susman, "Fractal antenna elements and arrays," Applied Microwave and Wireless, Vol. 11, 34-46, 1999.
18. Levy, M., S. Bose, A. V. Dinh, and D. Sriram Kumar, "A novelistic fractal antenna for ultra wideband (UWB) applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 45, 369-393, 2012.
19. Hanae, E., N. Amar Touhami, M. Aghoutane, S. El Amrani, A. Tazon, and M. Boussouis, "Miniaturized microstrip patch antenna with defected ground structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 55, 25-33, 2014.
20. Sharma, R., A. Kandwal, and S. K. Khah, "Wideband DGS circular ring microstrip antenna design using fuzzy approach with suppressed cross-polar radiations," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 42, 177-190, 2013.
21. Kaushik, S., S. S. Dhillon, and A. Marwaha, "Rectangular microstrip patch antenna with Ushaped DGS structure for wireless applications," 5th International Conference on Computational Intelligence and Communication Networks, IEEE, 2013, 978-0-7695-5069-5/13.
22. Fallahi, H. and Z. Atlasbaf, "Bandwidth enhancement of a CPW-fed monopole antenna with small fractal elements," AEU-International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 69, No. 2, 590-595, 2015.