The backward wave oscillator is a promising and powerful source at THz frequencies. The rectangular corrugated waveguide is an effective solution as slow wave structure to design backward-wave oscillators (BWOs), suitable to be fabricated by photolithographic high-aspect ratio processes. However, assembling and vacuum pumping are a critical issue. In this paper, a corrugated waveguide with the width of the corrugation narrower than the waveguide width will be investigated as slow wave structure for BWOs. A relevant improvement from the point of view of the assembling, together with even better performance will be demonstrated. Two backward wave oscillators, at 1 THz central frequency, designed with conventional and narrow corrugated waveguide will be compared in terms of output power and frequency band of tuning.
2. Siegel, P. H., "Terahertz technology," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory Techniques, Vol. 50, 910-928, Mar. 2002.
3. Sirtori, C., "Applied physics: Bridge for the terahertz gap," Nature, Vol. 417, 132-133, May 2002.
4. Booske, J., R. Dobbs, C. Joye, C. Kory, G. Neil, G.-S. Park, J. Park, and R. Temkin, "Vacuum electronic high power terahertz sources," IEEE Transactions on Terahertz Science and Technology, Vol. 1, No. 1, 54-75, Sep. 2011.
5. Korolev, A. N., S. A. Zaitsev, I. I. Golenitskij, Y. V. Zhary, A. D. Zakurdayev, M. I. Lopin, P. M. Meleshkevich, E. A. Gelvich, A. A. Negirev, A. S. Pobedonostsev, V. I. Poognin, V. B. Homich, and A. N. Kargin, "Traditional and novel vacuum electron devices," IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, Vol. 48, 2929-2937, Dec. 2001.
6. Gewartowski, J. and H.Watson, Principles of Electron Tubes, Van Nostrand, NJ, 1965.
7. Johnson, H., "Backward-wave oscillators," Proceedings of the IRE, Vol. 43, No. 6, 684-697, Jun. 1955.
8. Borisov, A., U. Budzinsky, S. Bykovsky, A. Galdetskiy, A. Korolev, M. Lopin, A. Negirev, V. Pugnin, G. Ruvinsky, and B. Sazonov, "The development of vacuum microwave devices in Istok," IEEE International Vacuum Electronics Conference (IVEC), 437-438, Feb. 2011.
9. Shin, Y.-M., D. Gamzina, L. Barnett, F. Yaghmaie, A. Baig, and N. Luhmann, "UV lithography and molding fabrication of ultrathick micrometallic structures using a KMPR photoresist," Journal of Microelectromechanical Systems, Vol. 19, No. 3, 683-689, Jun. 2010.
10. Shin, Y.-M., J.-K. So, S.-T. Han, K.-H. Jang, G.-S. Park, J.-H. Kim, and S.-S. Chang, "Microfabrication of millimeter wave vacuum electron devices by two-step deep-etch x-ray lithography," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 88, No. 9, 091916, 2006.
11. Guidee, P. and L. Teyssier, A 850--1000 GHz backward-wave oscillator for advanced applications, Society of Photo-optical Instrumentation Engineers (SPIE) Conference Series, Vol. 598, 93-98, ser. Society of Photo-Optical Instrumentation Engineers (SPIE) Conference Series, E. Kollberg, Ed., 1986.
12. Tucek, J., D. Gallagher, K. Kreischer, and R. Mihailovich, "A compact, high power, 0.65 THz source," IEEE International Vacuum Electronics Conference (IVEC), 16-17, Apr. 2008.
13. Mineo, M. and C. Paoloni, "Corrugated rectangular waveguide tunable backward wave oscillator for terahertz applications," IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, Vol. 57, No. 6, 1481-1484, Jun. 2010.
14. Mineo, M. and C. Paoloni, "Backward wave oscillators for THz applications based on corrugated waveguide," IEEE International Vacuum Electronics Conference (IVEC), 265-266, Feb. 2011.
15. Mineo, M. and C. Paoloni, "Narrow corrugation rectangular waveguide for terahertz TWTs," Electronics Letters, Vol. 46, No. 13, 927-928, 2010.
16. Field, M., R. Borwick, V. Mehrotra, B. Brar, J. Zhao, Y.-M. Shin, D. Gamzina, A. Spear, A. Baig, L. Barnett, N. Luhmann, T. Kimura, J. Atkinson, T. Grant, Y. Goren, and D. E. Pershing, 1.3 : 220 GHz 50W sheet beam travelling wave tube amplifier, IEEE International Vacuum Electronics Conference (IVEC), 21-22, IEEE, May 2010.
17. Shin, Y.-M., L. R. Barnett, and N. C. Luhmann, "Phase-shifted traveling-wave-tube circuit for ultrawideband high-power submillimeter-wave generation," IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, Vol. 56, No. 5, 706-712, May 2009.
18., CST User Manual, [Online]. Available: http://www.cst.com.
19. Mineo, M., A. Di Carlo, and C. Paoloni, "Analytical design method for corrugated rectangular waveguide SWS THz vacuum tubes," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 17--18, 2479-2494, 2010.
20. Goplen, B., L. Ludeking, D. Smith, and G. Warren, "User-configurable MAGIC for electromagnetic PIC calculations," Computer Physics Communications, Vol. 87, No. 1--2, 54-86, 1995.