An investigation on the possibility of obtaining a negative refractive index behavior in split ring resonators (SRRs) through magneto-electric coupling is presented. We have performed rigorous electromagnetic simulations using a full-wave 3D simulator, and the obtained results have been verified by our experimental realizations and measurements. The results confirm that the increase of magnetoelectric gyrotropic activity inside a bi-anistropic medium can lead to the establishment of backward-wave propagation.
2. Grbic, A. and G. V. Eleftheriades, "Periodic analysis of a 2-D negative refractive indextransmission line structure," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 10, 2604-2611, October 2003.
3. Srivastava, R., S. Srivastava, and S. P. Ojha, "Negative refraction by photonic crystal," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 2, 15-26, 2008.
4. Hrabar, S., "Backward-wave meta-materials --- A brief review," 17'International Conference on Applied Electromagnetics and Communications, Dubrovnik, Croatia, October 1-3, 2003.
5. Simovski, C. A. and B. Sauviac, "Role of wave interaction of wire and split-ring resonators for the losses in a left-handed composite," Phys. Review E, Vol. 70, 046607, 2004.
6. Mackay, T. G. and A. Lakhtakia, "Plane waves with negative phase velocity in Faraday chiral mediums," Phys. Review E, Vol. 69, 026602, 2004.
7. Mackay, T. G. and A. Lakhtakia, "Negative reflection in a Faraday chiral medium," Micro. Opt. Tech. Lett., Vol. 50, No. 5, 1368-1371, May 2008.
8. Qiu, C. W., H. Y. Yao, L. W. Li, S. Zouhdi, and T. S. Yeo, "Routes to left-handed materials by magnetoelectric couplings," Phys. Review B, Vol. 75, 245214, 2007.
9. Qiu, C. W., H. Y. Yao, L. W. Li, S. Zouhdi, and T. S. Yeo, "Backward waves in magnetoelectrically chiral media: Propagtion, impedance, and negative refraction," Phys. Review B, Vol. 75, 155120, 2007.
10. Qiu, C. W., H. Y. Yao, S. Zouhdi, L. W. Li, and M. S. Leong, "On the constitutive relations of G-chiral media and the possibility to realize negative-index media," Micro. Opt. Tech. Lett., Vol. 48, No. 12, 2534-2538, December 2006.
11. Taouk, H., "Optical wave propagation in active media: Gyrotropic-gyrochiral media," J. Opt. Soc. Am., Vol. 14, No. 8, 2006-2012, August 1997.
12. Marques, R., F. Medina, and R. Rafii-El-Idrissi, "Role of bian-isotropy in negative permeability and left-handed metamaterials," Phys. Review B, Vol. 65, 144440, 2002.
13. Chen, X., B. Wu, J. A. Kong, and T. M. Grzegorczyk, "Retrieval of the effective constitutive parameters of bianisotropic metamaterials," Phys. Review E, Vol. 71, 046610, 2005.
14. Tretyakov, S. A. and A. A. Sochava, "Novel uniaxial bianisotropic materials: Reflection and transmission in planar structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 9, 157-179, 1994.
15. Tretyakov, S. A., C. R. Simovski, and M. Hudlicka, "Bianisotropic route to the realization and matching of backward-wave metamaterial slabs," Phys. Review B, Vol. 75, 153104, 2007.
16. Kong, J. A, Electromagnetic Wave Theory, 1986.
17. Yang, J., J. Hwang, and T. Timusk, "Left-handed behavior of split-ring resonators: Optical measurements and numerical analysis," Phys. Review B, Vol. 77, 205114, 2008.
18. Born, M. and E. Wolf, Principle of Optics, 7th edition, 1999.
19. Shelby, R. A., D. R. Smith, and S. Schultz, "Experimental verification of a negative index of refraction," Science, Vol. 292, 77-79, April 2001.