A new composite power plane using spiral electromagnetic bandgap (EBG) and external magnetic material is proposed for simultaneous switching noise (SSN) suppression in mixed-signal systems. The proposed power plane has an external magnetic material partially placed on the top of perforated spiral-bridged EBG plane. The EBG bandgap is shifted to lower frequencies by the real part of the permeability (μr') and the power plane Q-factor is decreased by the imaginary part of the permeability (μr") associated with the magnetic loss. 30 dB suppression of the SSN propagation has been measured from 190 MHz to 1 GHz by virtue of the complex permeability. The proposed EBG power plane is expected to reduce the circuit size and to improve the power integrity of the mixed-signal systems.
2. Abhari, R. and G. V. Eleftheriades, "Metallo-dielectric electromagnetic bandgap structures for suppression and isolation of the parallel-plate noise in high speed circuits," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 51, No. 6, 1629-1639, Jun. 2003.
3. Ricchiuti, V., "Power-supply decoupling on fully populated highspeed digital PCBs," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 43, No. 4, 671-676, Nov. 2001.
4. Xu, M., T. H. Hubing, J. Chen, T. P. Van Doren, J. L. Drewniak, and R. E. DuBroff, "Power-bus decoupling with embedded capacitance in printed circuit board design," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 45, No. 1, 22-30, Feb. 2003.
5. Wu, T. L., C. C. Wang, Y. H. Lin, T. K. Wang, and G. Chang, "A novel power planes with low radiation and broadband suppression of ground bounce noise using photonic bandgap structures," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 14, No. 7, 337-339, Jul. 2004.
6. Wu, T. L., C. C. Wang, Y. H. Lin, T. K. Wang, and G. Chang, "A novel power plane with super wideband elimination of ground bounce noise on high speed circuits," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 15, No. 3, 174-176, Mar. 2005.
7. Kim, D.-Y., S.-H. Joo, and H.-Y. Lee, "A hybrid-cell EBG power plane for ultra-wideband suppression of ground bounce noise," Microwave & Opt. Tech. Lett., Vol. 49, No. 11, Nov. 2007.
8. Joo, S.-H., D.-Y. Kim, and H.-Y. Lee, "A S-bridged inductive electromagnetic bandgap power plane for suppression of ground bounce noise," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 17, No. 10, 709-711, Oct. 2007.
9. Kim, Y., F. Yang, and A. Z. Elsherbeni, "Compact artificial magnetic conductor designs using planar square spiral geometries," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 77, 43-54, 2007.
10. Eom, D-.S., D.-Y. Kim, J. Byun, and H.-Y. Lee, "Composite EBG power plane using magnetic materials for SSN suppression in high-speed digital circuits," The Journal of Korea Electromagnetic Engineering Society, Vol. 19, No. 8, 933-939, Aug. 2008.
11. Toyota, Y., K. Iokibe, R. Koga, A. E. Engin, T. H. Kim, and M. Swaminathan, "Miniaturization of electromagnetic bandgap structures with high-permeability magnetic metal sheet," IEEE International Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Jul. 2007.