In this paper, a technique to identify/synthesize an equivalent circuit of nonreciprocal lossy N-port device is presented. The technique joins the classical procedure discussed in the '60s to the polygon network recently proposed in the literature, which permits to draw an equivalent circuit for reciprocal lossless N-port device in a very simple way. The identication is applied to two microwave devices, a reciprocal lossy iris in WR90 waveguide and a 3-port nonreciprocal lossy circulator. The proposed equivalent circuit could give some information about the agreement of the manufactured device and its design, which usually is developed in the hypothesis of ideal lossless components.
2. Montgomery, C. G., R. H. Dicke, and E. M. Purcell, Principles of Microwave Circuits, 1st Ed., McGraw-Hill, 1948; Peter Peregrinus on Behalf of the Institution of Electrical Engineers, 2nd Edition, London, U.K., 1987.
3. Carlin, H., "On the physical realizability of linear non-reciprocal networks," Proceedings of the IRE, Vol. 43, No. 5, 608-616, May 1955.
4. Carlin, H., "The scattering matrix in network theory," IRE Transactions on Circuit Theory, Vol. 3, No. 2, 88-97, Jun. 1956.
5. Carlin, H. and D. Youla, "Network synthesis with negative resistors," Proceedings of the IRE, Vol. 49, No. 5, 907-920, May 1961.
6. Carlin, H., "On the existence of a scattering representation for passive networks," IEEE Transactions on Circuit Theory, Vol. 14, No. 4, 418-419, Dec. 1967.
7. Cederbaum, I., "On the physical realizability of linear nonreciprocal networks," IRE Transactions on Circuit Theory, Vol. 3, No. 2, 155-155, Jun. 1956.
8. Oono, Y., "Application of scattering matrices to the synthesis of n ports," IRE Transactions on Circuit Theory, Vol. 3, No. 2, 111-120, Jun. 1956.
9. Youla, D., L. Castriota, and H. Carlin, "Bounded real scattering matrices and the foundations of linear passive network theory," IRE Transactions on Circuit Theory, Vol. 6, No. 1, 102-124, Mar. 1959.
10. Youla, D., "Direct single frequency synthesis from a prescribed scattering matrix," IRE Transactions on Circuit Theory, Vol. 6, No. 4, 340-344, Dec. 1959.
11. Carlin, H. and D. Youla, "The realizability of the complex ideal transformer," IRE Transactions on Circuit Theory, Vol. 9, No. 4, 412-412, Dec. 1962.
12. Zappelli, L., "Simple, fast, and effective identification of an equivalent circuit of a waveguide junction with N ports," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 63, No. 1, 48-55, Jan. 2015.
13. Zappelli, L., "An equivalent circuit for discontinuities exciting evanescent accessible modes," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 60, No. 5, 1197-1209, May 2012.
14. Zappelli, L., "Circuit approach to the analysis of microwave discontinuities," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 53, 373-397, 2013.
15. Zappelli, L., "An equivalent circuit for thick centered irises in rectangular waveguide," Proceedings of Numerical Electromagnetic Modelling and Optimization (NEMO), Pavia, 2014.
16. Zappelli, L., "Reconstruction of the S-matrix of N-port waveguide reciprocal devices from 2-port VNA measurements," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 72, 129-148, 2017.
17. Gantmacher, F., The Theory of Matrices, Chelsea Publishing Company, New York, 1959.
18. Brookes, M., The Matrix Reference Manual, [Online], Available: http://www.ee.imperial.ac.uk/hp/staff/dmb/matrix/intro.html.