A novel selectable multiband isolation of Double Pole Double Throw (DPDT) switch with switchable transmission line stub resonators has been proposed for applications of WiMAX and LTE in 2.3 and 3.5 GHz bands. In this paper, two DPDT switch designs are proposed; the first design is a fixed DPDT switch, and the second is a selectable DPDT switch. The second design allows selecting only one band and unselecting the other or selecting both of them. However, the first design does not allow so. The transmission line stub resonator used in this design is an open stub resonator with quarter wave of the electrical length. By using a simple mathematical model, the theory of the transmission line stub resonator was discussed where it can be cascaded and resonated at center frequencies of 2.3 and 3.5 GHz. Moreover, the cascaded transmission line stub resonators can be reconfigured between allpass and bandstop responses using discrete PIN diodes. The key advantage of the proposed DPDT with switchable transmission line stub resonators is a multiband high isolation with minimum number of PIN diodes. Therefore, the simulated and measured results showed less than 3 dB of insertion loss, greater than 10 dB of return loss and higher than 30 dB of multiband isolation in 2.3 and 3.5 GHz bands.
2. Chao, S., C. Kuo, W. Lin, and W. Li, "A dual-band switchable bandpass filter using connected-coupling mechanisms," 44th European Microwave Conference, 941-944, 2014.
3. Kumari, R. and M. Kumar, "Frequency reconfigurable multi-band inverted T-slot antenna for wireless application," 2014 International Conference on Advances in Computing, Communications and Informatics (ICACCI), 696-699, 2014.
4. Chen, C., J. Wu, Y. Lin, and S. Member, "Compact single-pole-double-throw switchable bandpass filter based on multicoupled line," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Components Lett., Vol. 24, No. 2, 2013-2015, 2014.
5. Lu, J.-H. and B.-J. Huang, "Planar multi-band monopole antenna with L-shaped parasitic strip for WiMAX application," Electron. Lett., Vol. 46, No. 10, 671-672, 2010.
6. Nguyen, V.-A., R. S. Aziz, S.-O. Park, and G. Yoon, "A design of multiband, dual-polarization, beam-switchable dual-antenna for indoor base stations," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 149, 147-160, 2014.
7. Wang, X. and H. Ryu, "Design of multi-band receiver with Pre-FFT beamformer for wireless communications," 2013 15th International Conference on Advanced Communication Technology (ICACT), No. 1, 227-232, 2013.
8. Zobilah, A. M. S., N. A. Shairi, Z. Zakaria, and M. S. Jawad, "RF switches in wide-, broad-, and multi-band RF front-end of wireless communications: An overview," ARPN J. Eng. Appl. Sci., Vol. 11, No. 5, 3244-3248, 2016.
9. Liu, K., X. Wang, J. Samarabandu, and A. Akhtar, "Monostatic airborne SAR using license exempt WiMAX transceivers," 2014 IEEE 80th Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC Fall), 2014.
10. Yamane, D., H. Seita, W. Sun, S. Kawasaki, H. Fujita, and H. Toshiyoshi, "A 12-GHz DPDT RF-MEMS switch with layer-wise waveguide/actuator design technique," IEEE 22nd International Conference on Micro Electro Mechanical Systems, 2009, MEMS 2009, 888-891, 2009.
11. Cho, M., I. Song, S. Member, J. Kim, and J. D. Cressler, "An active bi-directional SiGe DPDT switch with multi-octave bandwidth," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Components Lett., Vol. 26, No. 4, 279-281, 2016.
12. Sim, S., L. Jeon, and J. Kim, "A compact x-band bi-directional phased-array T/R chipset in 0.13 m CMOS technology," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 61, No. 1, 562-569, 2013.
13. Huang, C. P., W. Vaillancourt, A. Bruce, L. Thavone, C. Masse, and S. Semiconductor, "Novel double pole double throw switchplexer that simpli¯es dual-band WLAN and MIMO front-end module designs," 2008 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, 1183-1186, 2008.
14. Kohama, K., T. Ohgihara, and Y. Murakami, "High power DPDT antenna switch MMIC for digital cellular systems," IEEE J. Solid-State Circuits, Vol. 31, No. 10, 1406-1411, 1996.
15. Liao, W. J., S. H. Chang, J. T. Yeh, and B. R. Hsiao, "Compact dual-band WLAN diversity antennas on USB dongle platform," IEEE Trans. Antennas & Propag., Vol. 62, No. 1, 109-118, 2014.
16. Dagefu, F. T., O. Jungsuek, J. Choiand, and K. Sarabandi, "Performance analysis of a common aperture antenna diversity system," Radio Science Meeting (Joint with AP-S Symposium), 2013 USNC-URSI, 41, 2013.
17. Senega, S. and S. Lindenmeier, "Antenna module with integrated scan-phase antenna diversity system for SDARS," Proceedings of 6th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, EuCAP 2012, 2807-2810, 2012.
18. Li, Y., W. Li, C. Liu, and T. Jiang, "A printed diversity cantor set fractal antenna for ultra wideband communication applications," 2012 10th International Symposium on Antennas, Propagation & EM Theory (ISAPE), 34-38, 2012.
19. Shairi, N. A., Z. Zakaria, A. M. S. Zobilah, B. H. Ahmad, and P. W. Wong, "Design of SPDT switch with transmission line stub resonator for WiMAX and LTE in 3.5 GHz band," ARPN J. Eng. Appl. Sci., Vol. 11, No. 5, 3198-3202, 2016.
20. Yang, Z., T. Yang, Y. You, and R. Xu, "A 2 GHz high isolation DPDT switch MMIC," IEEE J. Solid-State Circuits, 8-10, 2005.
21. Lee, W. S., G. M. Lee, B. C. Choi, H. C. Kim, and H. C. Choi, "A band-rejection type RF switch based on a dual-mode microstrip ring resonator," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 52, No. 4, 947-950, 2010.
22. Hindle, P., "The state of RF and microwave switches," Microw. J., Vol. 53, No. 11, 20, 2010.
23. Perret, E., T. L. Vidal, A. Vena, and P. Gonon, "Realization of a conductive bridging RF switch integrated onto printed circuit board," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 151, 9-16, 2015.
24. Technologies, A., Understanding RF/microwave solid state switches and their applications, 2009.
25. Shairi, N. A., H. Badrul, and W. W. Peng, "Bandstop to allpass reconfigurable filter technique in Single Pole Double Throw (SPDT) switch design," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 39, 265-277, 2013.
26. Malek, F., M. S. Zulkifli, N. A. M. Affendi, N. Saudin, H. Nornikman, H. M. Mat, L. Mohamed, and A. A. Ali, "Complementary structure of quadruple p-spiral split ring resonator (QPS-SRR) on modified minkowski patch antenna design," 2012 IEEE Asia-Pacific Conference on Applied Electromagnetics (APACE), 142-147, 2012.
27. Wang, Z. and C. Park, "Novel wideband GaN HEMT power amplifier using microstrip radial stub to suppress harmonics," 2012 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, 5-7, 2012.
28. Xu, J., W. Wu, W. Kang, and C. Miao, "Compact UWB bandpass filter with a notched band using radial stub loaded resonator," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Components Lett., Vol. 22, No. 7, 351-353, 2012.
29. Nornikman, H., B. H. Ahmad, M. Z. A. Abdul Aziz, M. R. Kamarudin, and A. R. Othman, "Effect of spiral split ring resonator (S-SRR) structure on truncated pyramidal microwave absorber design," 2012 International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation (ISAP), 1188-1191, 2012.
30. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, 4th Ed., 530-540, 2012.
31. Chaturvedi, S., S. V. Bhalke, G. S. Saravanan, and S. K. Koul, "Electromagnetic simulation and characterization of a metal ceramic package for packaging of high isolation switches," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 16, 111-125, 2010.
32. Rehman, M. Z. U., Z. Baharudin, M. A. Zakariya, M. H. M. Khir, M. T. Jilani, and M. T. Khan, "Waveguide tunable bandpass filter," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 60, 21-30, 2015.