Electrical cables of all types are subject to aggressive operational environments that can be source of defects or accelerated aging. Reflectometry-based methods are among the best ones for the detection and location of hard defects, but cannot easily provide efficient unambiguous diagnosis for complex topology networks, such as bus or star-shaped wired networks. This paper introduces the use of a new method, called transferometry, as an additional tool for the diagnosis of complex topology networks and shows that it presents many advantages compared to reflectometry, both in terms of implementation and data processing. Based on the fusion of the analysis results of several transmitted signals, it can provide a better diagnosis with fewer sensors than distributed reflectometry, with a simpler electronic architecture.
2. Li, H., A. Bose, and V. M. Venkatasubramanian, "Wide-area voltage monitoring and optimization," IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, Vol. 7, No. 2, 785-793, 2016.
3. Tudor, J., D. Stevens, G. Ott, and W. Pomeroy, "Frequency modulated fault locator for power lines," IEEE Transactions on Power Apparatus and Systems, Vol. 95, 1760-1768, 1972.
4. Lelong, A., M. Olivas Carrion, V. Degardin, and M. Lienard, "On line wire diagnosis by modified spread spectrum time domain reflectometry," PIERS Proceeding, 182-186, Cambridge, USA, July 2–6, 2008.
5. Lelong, A. and M. Olivas Carrion, "On line wire diagnosis using multcarrier time domain reflectometry for fault location," IEEE Sensors Conference, 751-754, Christchurch, New Zealand, August 2009.
6. Ben Hassen, W., F. Auzanneau, F. Peres, and A. Tchangani, "OMTDR using BER estimation for ambiguities cancellation in ramified networks diagnosis," IEEE ISSNIP Conference, Melbourne, Australia, April 2013.
7. Furse, C., R. Dangol, and R. Nielsen, "Frequency-domain reflectometry for on-board testing of aging aircraft wiring," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 45, No. 2, 306-315, 2003.
8. Sallem, S. and N. Ravot, "Self-adaptive correlation method for soft defect detection in cable by reflectometry," Proceeding of 2014 IEEE Sensors Conference, 2114-2117, Valencia, Spain, November 2014.
9. Sommervogel, L., L. El Sahmarany, and L. Incarbone, "Method to compensate dispersion effect applied to time domain reflectometry," Electronics Letters, Vol. 49, No. 18, 1154-1155, August 2013.
10. Ravot, N., F. Auzanneau, Y. Bonhomme, M. Olivas Carrion, and F. Bouillault, "Distributed reflectometry-based diagnosis for complex wired networks," EMC: Safety, Reliability and Security of Communication and Transportation Systems, EMC Workshop, Paris, June 2007.
11. Ben Hassen, W., F. Auzanneau, F. Peres, and A. Tchangani, "A distributed diagnosis strategy using bayesian network for complex wiring networks," IFAC A-MEST Workshop, Sevilla, Spain, November 2012.
12. Auzanneau, F., "Chaos time-domain reflectometry for distributed diagnosis of complex topology wired networks," Electronics Letters, Vol. 52, No. 4, 280-281, February 2016.
13. Fink, M., "Time reversal of ultrasonic fields — Part 1: Basic principles," IEEE Trans. Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics, and Frequency Control, Vol. 39, No. 5, 555-566, September 1992.
14. Abboud, L., A. Cozza, and L. Pichon, "A noniterative method for locating soft faults in complex wire networks," IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, Vol. 62, No. 3, 1010-1019, March 2013.
15. Kafal, M., A. Cozza, and L. Pichon, "Locating multiple soft faults in wire networks using an alternative DORT implementation," IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, Vol. 65, No. 2, 399-406, Februry 2016.
16. Miao, G., J. Zander, K.-W. Sung, and B. Slimane, Fundamentals of Mobile Data Networks, Cambridge University Press, 2016.
17. Auzanneau, F., M. Olivas Carrion, and N. Ravot, "A simple and accurate model for wire diagnosis using reflectometry," PIERS Proceedings, 232-236, Prague, Czech Republic, August 27–30, 2007.
18. Beck, G., S. Imperiale, and P. Joly, "Mathematical modelling of multi conductor cables," Discrete and Continuous Dynamical Systems --- Series S (DCDS-S), Vol. 8, No. 3, 521-546, 2015.
19. Ulrich, M. and B. Yang, "Inference of wired network topology using multipoint reflectometry," Proc. of 23rd European Signal Processing Conf. EUSIPCO, Nice, France, August 2015.
20. Ben Hassen, W., F. Peres, and A. Tchangani, "Diagnosis sensor fusion for wire fault location in CAN bus systems," IEEE Sensors Conference, Baltimore, USA, November 2013.
21. Visco Comandini, F., M. Sorine, and M. Mirrahimi, "On the inverse scattering of star-shape LC-networks," Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, 2075-2080, Cancun, Mexico, December 2008.