Analytic expressions for the nonlinear absorption coefficient (nonlinear absorption coefficient=NAC) of a strong electromagnetic wave (laser radiation) caused by confined electrons for the case of electron-optical phonon scattering in doping superlattices (doping superlattices=DSLs) are calculated by using the quantum kinetic equation for electrons. The problem is also considered for both the absence and the presence of an external magnetic field. The dependence of the NAC on the intensity E0 and the energy hΩ of the external strong electromagnetic wave (electromagnetic wave=EMW), the temperature T of the system, the doping concentration nD and the cyclotron frequency ΩB for case of an external magnetic field is obtained. Two cases for the absorption: Close to the absorption threshold ∣khΩ-hω0∣≤ε and far away from the absorption threshold ∣khΩ-hω0∣≥ε (k=0, ±1, ±2..., hω0 and ε are the frequency of optical phonon and the average energy of electrons, respectively) are considered. The analytic expressions are numerically evaluated, plotted, and discussed for a specific DSLs n-GaAs/p-GaAs. The computations show that the NAC in DSLs in case presence of an external magnetic field is much more greater than to it is absence of an external magnetic field. The appearance of an external magnetic field causes surprising changes in the nonlinear absorption. All the results for the presence of an external magnetic field are compared with those for the absence of an external magnetic field to show the difference.
2. Jellison, Jr. and G. E. F. A. Modine, "Erratum: Parameterization of the optical functions of amorphous materials in the interband region," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 69, 371, 1996.
3. Khokhlov, A. F., I. A. Chuchmaǐ, and A. V. Ershov, "Absorption features in a-Si/ZrOx Nanostructures," Semiconductors, Vol. 34, No. 3, 344, 2000.
4. Keimann, F., R. Brazis, H. Barkley, W. Kasparek, M. Thumm, and V. Erckmann, "Millimeter-wave frequency tripling in bulk semiconductors," Europhys. Lett., Vol. 11, 337, 1990.
5. Lyubin, V. M. and M. L. Klebanov, "Laser-induced anisotropic absorbtion, reflection, and scattering of light in chalcogenide glassy semiconductors," Semiconductors, Vol. 32, No. 8, 817, 1998.
6. Malevich, V. L. and I. A. Utkin, "Nonlinear optical absorption in a heavily doped degenerate n-GaAs," Semiconductors, Vol. 34, No. 8, 924, 2000.
7. Malevich, V. L. and E. M. Epstein, "Nonlinear optical properties of conduction electrons in semiconductors," Sov. Quantum Electronic, Vol. 1, 1468, 1974.
8. Pavlovich, V. V. and E. M. Epshtein, "Quantum theory of absorption of electronmagnetic wave by free carries in simiconductors," Sov. Phys. Stat., Vol. 19, 1760, 1977.
9. Schmittrink, S., D. S. Chemla, and D. A. B. Miller, "Linear and nonlinear optical properties of semiconductor quantum wells," Adv. Phys., Vol. 38, 89, 1989.
10. Zegrya, G. G. and V. E. Perlin, "Intraband absorption of light in quantum wells induced by electron-electron collisions," Semiconductors, Vol. 32, No. 4, 417, 1998.
11. Shmelev, G. M., I. A. Chaikovskii, and N. Q. Bau, "HF conduction in semiconductors superlattices," Sov. Phys. Tech. Semicond., Vol. 12, 1932, 1978.
12. Schmit-Rink, S., D. S. Chemla, and D. A. B. Miler, "Linear and nonlinear optical properties in semiconductor quantum wells," Adv. Phys., Vol. 38, 89, 1989.
13. Bau, Q. N., D. M. Hung, and B. N. Ngoc, "The nonlinear absorption coeffcient of a strong electromagnetic wave caused by confined electrons in quantum wells," J. Korean Phys. Soc., Vol. 54, No. 2, 765, 2009.
14. Vasilopoulos, P., M. Charbonneau, and C. M. Van Vliet, "Linear and nonlinear electrical conduction in quasi-two-dimensional quantum wells," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 35, 1334, 1987.
15. Abouelaoualim, D., "Electron-confined LO-phonon scattering in GaAs-Al0.45Ga0.55 As superlattice ," Pramana Journal of Physics, Vol. 66, 455-465, 2006.
16. Gaggero-Sager, M. L., N. Moreno-Martinez, I. Rodriguez-Vargas, R. Perez-Alvarez, V. V. Grimalsky, and M. E. Mora-Ramos, "Electronic structure as a function of temperature for Si doped quantum wells in GaAs," PIERS Online, Vol. 3, No. 6, 851-854, 2007.
17. Butscher, S. and A. Knorr, "Occurrence of intersubband polaronic repellons in a two-dimesional electron gas," Phys. Rev. L, Vol. 97, 197401, 2006.
18. Bau, N. Q. and T. C. Phong, "Calculations of the absorption coefficient of a weak EMW by free carriers in quantum wells by the Kubo-Mori method," J. Phys. Soc. Jpn., Vol. 67, 3875, 1998.
19. Bau, N. Q., N. V. Nhan, and T. C. Phong, "Calculations of the absorption coefficient of a weak electromagnetic wave by free carriers in doped superlattices by using the Kubo-Mori method," J. Korean. Phys. Soc., Vol. 41, 149, 2002.
20. Samuel, E. P. and D. S. Patil, "Analysis of wavefunction distribution in quantum well biased laser diode using transfer matrix method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 1, 119, 2008.
21. Bau, N. Q., L. Dinh, and T. C. Phong, "Absorption coefficient of weak electromagnetic wave caused by confined electrons in quantum wires," J. Korean. Phys. Soc., Vol. 51, 1325-1330, 2007.
22. Karabulut, I. and S. Baskoutas, "Linear and nonlinear optical absorption coefficients and refractive index changes in spherical quantum dots: Effects of impurities, electric field, size, and optical intensity," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 103, 073512, 2008.