The design and development of synthetic aperture radar (SAR) system for a particular application often requires redesign of software and hardware to optimize the system performance. In addition, evaluations of the performance of existing autofocus and image formation algorithms are required for the SAR system designers to select a most suitable algorithm for a given image quality requirements. This is a time-consuming taskwithout a reconfigurable and comprehensive software package. Thus, a comprehensive SAR integrated simulator and processor software is needed to aid the system designers in optimizing all the system parameters and performance. This paper presents an integrated SAR simulator and processor (iSARSIMP) software package and the performance of three selected SAR autofocus algorithms has been evaluated as examples to demonstrate the usefulness of the iSARSIMP for SAR system designers. In the performance evaluation, simulated and actual SAR raw data were used for further analysis and comparison of the three selected autofocus algorithms.
2. Holtzman, J. C., V. S. Frost, J. L. Abott, and V. H. Kaupp, "Radar image simulation," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sensing, Vol. 16, No. 4, 296-303, 1978.
3. CEOS Working Group on Data, Synthetic aperture radar data product format standards, CEOS-SAR-CCT, Issue/Rev: 2/0, 1989.
4. Cumming, I. G. and F. H. Wong, Digital Processing of Synthetic Aperture Radar Data, Artech House Inc., 2005.
5. Lim, T. S., V. C. Koo, H. T. Ewe, and H. T. Chuah, "A SAR autofocus algorithm based on particle swarm optimization," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 1, 159-176, 2008.
6. Lim, T. S., V. C. Koo, H. T. Ewe, and H. T. Chuah, "High-frequency phase error reduction in SAR using particle swarm optimization," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 6, 795-810, 2007.
7. Eichel, P. H. and C. V. Jakowatz, "Phase gradient algorithm as an optimal estimator of the phase derivative," Optics Letters, Vol. 14, No. 20, 1101-1103, 1989.
8. Eichel, P. H., D. C. Ghiglia, and C. V. Jr. Jakowatz, "Speckle processing method for synthetic aperture radar phase correction," Optics Letters, Vol. 14, 1101-1103, 1989.
9. Koo, V. C., Y. K. Chan, and H. T. Chuah, "A new autofocus based on sub-aperture approach," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 19, No. 11, 1547-1561, 2005.
10. Kennedy, J. and R. C. Eberhart, "Particle swarm optimization," Proc. IEEE International Conference on Neural Networks, Vol. 4, 1942-1948, 1995.
10. Nikhil, P. R. and P. K. Sankar, "Entropy: A new definition and its applications," IEEE Trans. on System, Man and Cybernetics, Vol. 21, No. 5, 1260-1270, 1991.