We describe the implementations of Drude-critical point model for describing dispersive media into finite difference time domain algorithm using piecewise-linear recursive-convolution and auxiliary differential equation methods. The advantages, accuracy and stability of both implementations are analyzed in detail. Both implementations were applied in studying the transmittance and reflectance of thin metal films, and excellent agreement is observed between analytical and numerical results.
2. Liaw, , J.-W., C.-S. Chen, and J.-H. Chen, "Plasmonic effect of gold nanospheroid on spontaneous emission," Progress In Electromagnetic Research B, Vol. 31, 283-296, 2011.
3. Smajic, J., , C. Hafner, L. Raguin, K. Tavzarashvili, and M. Mishrikey, "Comparison of numerical methods for the analysis of plasmonic structures," J. Comput. Theor. Nanos., Vol. 6, No. 3, 763-774, 2009..
4. Taflove, , A. , S. C. Hagness, and , Computational Electrodynamics: The Finite-difference Time-domain Method, 3rd Ed., Artech House Publishers, 685 Canton Street, , Norwood, MA 02062, USA, 2005.
5. Lee, , K. H., , I. Ahmed, R. S. M. Goh, E. H. Khoo, E. P. Li, and T. G. G. Hung, "Implementation of the FDTD method based on lorentz-drude dispersive model on GPU for plasmonics applications ," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 116, 441-456, 2011.
6. Shahmansouri, , A. a and B. Rashidian, "GPU implementation of split-field definite-difference time-domain method for drude-lorentz dispersive media," Progress In Electromagnetic Research,, Vol. 125, 55-77, 2012.
7. Etchegoin, , P. G., , E. C. Le Ru, and M. Meyer, "An analytic model for the optical properties of gold," J. Chem. Phys., Vol. 125, No. 16, 164705-3, 2006.
8. Young, , J. L., R. O. Nelson, and , "A summary and systematic analysis of FDTD algorithms for linearly dispersive media," IEEE Antennas Propag. Mag., Vol. 43, No. 1, 61-126, 2001.
9. Etchegoin, , P. G., , E. C. Le Ru, and M. Meyer, , "Erratum: `An analytic model for the optical properties of gold' ," [J. Chem. Phys., 125, 164705, 2006], Vol. 127, No. 18, 189901-1, 2007.
10. Vial, , A. , T. Laroche, and , "Comparison of gold and silver dispersion laws suitable for FDTD simulations," Appl. Phys. B, Vol. 93, No. 1, 139-143, , 2008.
11. Kelley, , D. F., R. J. Luebbers, and , "Piecewise linear recursive convolution for dispersive media using FDTD," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 44, No. 6, 792-797, 1996.
12. Luebbers, , R., , D. Steich, and K. Kunz, , "FDTD calculation of scattering from frequency-dependent materials," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 41, No. 9, 1249-1257, 1993..
13. Vial, A., , "Implementation of the critical points model in the recursive convolution method for modelling dispersive media with the ¯nite-di®erence time domain method," J. Opt. A: Pure Appl. Opt., Vol. 9, No. 7, 745-748, 2007..
14. Sullivan, , D. M., , Electromagnetic Simulation Using the FDTD Method, IEEE Press, , 2000..
15. Weedon, , W. H., C. M. Rappaport, and , "A general method for FDTD modeling of wave propagation in arbitrary frequency-dispersive media," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 45, No. 3, 401-410, , 1997..
16. Joseph, , R. M., , S. C. Hagness, and A. Taflove, "Direct time integration of Maxwell's equations in linear dispersive media with absorption for scattering and propagation of femtosecond electromagnetic pulses," Opt. Lett., Vol. 16, No. 18, 412-1414, 1991.
17. Okoniewski, , M., , M. Mrozowski, and M. A. Stuchly, , "Simple treatment of multi-term dispersion in FDTD," IEEE Microw. Guided Wave Lett., Vol. 7, No. 5, Vol. 7, No. 5, 121-123, 1997..
18. Vial, , A., T. Laroche, and , "\Description of dispersion properties of metals by means of the critical points model and application to the study of resonant structures using the FDTD method," J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys., Vol. 40, , No. 22, 7152-7158, 2007..
19. Okoniewski, , M. , E. Okoniewska, and , "Drude dispersion in ADE FDTD revisited," Electron. Lett., Vol. 504, No. 9, 503-504, 2006..
20. Hulse, C. , A. Knoesen, and , "Dispersive models for the ¯nite-di®erence time-domain method: Design, analysis, and implementation," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A,, Vol. 11, No. 6, 1802-1811, 1994.
21. Lin, , Z. , L. Thyln, and , "On the accuracy and stability of several widely used FDTD approaches for modeling lorentz dielectrics," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 57, No. 10, 3378-3381, 2009..
22. Pereda, , A., , L. A. Vielva, A. Vegas, and A. Prieto, "Analyzing the stability of the FDTD technique by combining the von Neumann method with the Routh-Hurwitz criterion," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 49, No. 2, 377-381, 2001..
23. Johnson, , P. B. , R. W. Christy, and , "Optical constants of the noble metals," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 6, No. 12, 4370, , 1972. .
24. Born, , M. , E. Wolf, and , Principles of Optics: Electromagnetic Theory of Propagation,, 7th Ed., Interference and Diffraction of Light Cambridge University Press, 1999..