Proper design of efficient microwave energy compressors requires precise understanding of the physics pertinent to energy accumulation and exhaust processes in resonant waveguide cavities. In this paper, practically for the first time these highly non-monotonic transient processes are studied in detail using a rigorous time-domain approach. Additionally, influence of the geometrical design and excitation parameters on the compressor's performance is quantified in detail.
2. Vikharev, A. L., O. A. Ivanov, A. M. Gorbachev, S. V. Kuzikov, V. A. Isaev, V. A. Koldanov, M. A. Lobaev, J. L. Hirshfield, M. A. LaPointe, O. A. Nezhevenko, S. H. Gold, and A. K. Kinkead, "Active compression of RF pulses," Quasi-optical Control of Intense Microwave Transmission, J. L. Hirshfield and M. I. Petelin (eds.), 199-218, Springer, Netherlands, 2005.
3. Yushkov, Y. G., N. N. Badulin, A. P. Batsula, A. I. Mel'nikov, S. A. Novikov, S. V. Razin, and E. L. Shoshin, "A nanosecond pulse-compression microwave radar," Telecommunications and Radio Engineering, Vol. 54, No. 2, 92-98, 2000.
4. Schamiloglu, E., "High power microwave sources and applications," 2004 IEEE MTT-S Digest, 1001-1004, 2004.
5. Benford, J., "Space applications of high-power microwaves," IEEE Trans. Plasma Sci., Vol. 36, No. 3, 569-581, 2008.
6. Gaponov-Grekhov, A. V. and V. L. Granatstein, Applications of High-power Microwaves, Artech House, Boston, 1994.
7. Bluhm, H., Pulsed Power Systems. Principles and Applications, Springer, Berlin, 2006.
8. Andreev, A. D., E. G. Farr, and E. Schamiloglu, "A simplified theory of microwave pulse compression," Circuit and Electromagnetic System Design Notes, No. 57, 2008.
9. Baum, C. E., "Options in microwave pulse compression," Circuit and Electromagnetic System Design Notes, No. 68, 2010.
10. Vikharev, A. L., A. M. Gorbachev, O. A. Ivanov, V. A. Isaev, S. V. Kuzikov, B. Z. Movshevich, J. L. Hirshfield, and S. H. Gold, "Active Bragg compressor of 3-cm wavelength microwave pulses," Radiophys. Quantum Electron., Vol. 51, No. 7, 539-555, 2008.
11. Artemenko, S. N., V. A. Avgustinovich, V. L. Kaminskii, P. Y. Chumerin, and Y. G. Yushkov, "Experimental investigation of a 25-MW microwave (3-cm range) compressor prototype," Technical Physics, Vol. 45, No. 12, 1608-1611, 2000.
12. Tantawi, S. G., R. D. Ruth, A. E. Vlieks, and M. Zolotorev, "Active high-power RF pulse compression using optically switched resonant delay lines," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 45, No. 8, 1486-1492, 1997.
13. Vikharev, A. L., A. M. Gorbachev, O. A. Ivanov, V. A. Isaev, S. V. Kuzikov, A. L. Kolysko, and M. I. Petelin, "Active microwave pulse compressor utilizing an axisymmetric mode of a circular waveguide," Technical Physics Letters, Vol. 24, No. 10, 791-792, 1998.
14. Farr, E. G., L. H. Bowen, W. D. Prather, and C. E. Baum, "Microwave pulse compression experiments at low and high power," Circuit and Electromagnetic System Design Notes, No. 63, 2010.
15. Tamura, F. and S. G. Tantawi, "Development of high power X-band semiconductor microwave switch for pulse compression systems of future linear colliders ," Phys. Rev. Spec. Top. Accel. Beams, Vol. 5, 062001, 2002.
16. Ivanov, O. A., A. A. Vikharev, A. M. Gorbachev, V. A. Isaev, M. A. Lobaev, A. L. Vikharev, S. V. Kuzikov, J. L. Hirshfield, and M. A. LaPointe, "Active quasioptical Ka-band rf pulse compressor switched by a di®raction grating ," Phys. Rev. Spec. Top. Accel. Beams, Vol. 12, 093501, 2009.
17. Kuzmitchev, I. K., P. M. Melezhyk, V. L. Pazynin, K. Y. Sirenko, Y. K. Sirenko, O. S. Shafalyuk, and L. G. Velychko, "Model synthesis of energy compressors," Radiophysics and Electronics: Sci. Works Collection, Vol. 13, No. 2, 166-172, 2008.
18. Chernobrovkin, R. E., I. V. Ivanchenko, A. M. Korolev, N. A. Popenko, and K. Y. Sirenko, "The novel microwave stop-band filter," Active and Passive Electronic Components, Vol. 2008, 2008.
19. Sirenko, K., V. Pazynin, Y. Sirenko, and H. Bagci, "An FFT-accelerated FDTD scheme with exact absorbing conditions for characterizing axially symmetric resonant structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 111, 331-364, 2011.
20. Sirenko, K. Y. and Y. K. Sirenko, "Exact absorbing conditions in the initial boundary-value problems of the theory of open waveguide resonators ," Comput. Math. Math. Phys., Vol. 45, No. 3, 490-506, 2005.
21. Sirenko, Y. K., S. Strom, and N. P. Yashina, "Modeling and Analysis of Transient Processes in Open Resonant Structures. New Methods and Techniques," Springer, Berlin, 2007.
22. Hairer, E., C. H. Lubich, and M. Schlichte, "Fast numerical solution of nonlinear Volterra convolution equations," SIAM J. Sci. Stat. Comput., Vol. 6, No. 3, 532-541, 1985.
23. Yilmaz, A. E., D. S. Weile, B. Shanker, J.-M. Jin, and E. Michielssen, "Fast analysis of transient scattering in lossy media," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagat. Lett., Vol. 1, No. 1, 14-17, 2002.
24. Bagci, H., A. E. Yilmaz, and E. Michielssen, A fast hybrid TDIE-FDTD-MNA scheme for analyzing cable-induced transient coupling into shielding enclosures, Proc. IEEE Int. Symp. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 3, 828-833, 2005.
25. Bagci, H., A. E. Yilmaz, V. Lomakin, and E. Michielssen, "Fast solution of mixed-potential time-domain integral equations for half-space environments," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sensing, Vol. 43, No. 2, 269-279, 2005.
26. Bagci, H., A. E. Yilmaz, and E. Michielssen, "FFT-accelerated MOT-based solution of time-domain BLT equations," Proc. IEEE Int. Antennas Propagat. Symp., 1175-1178, 2006.
27. Bagci, H., A. E. Yilmaz, J.-M. Jin, and E. Michielssen, "Fast and rigorous analysis of EMC/EMI phenomena on electrically large and complex structures loaded with coaxial cables ," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 49, No. 2, 361-381, 2007.
28. Bagci, H., A. E. Yilmaz, and E. Michielssen, "An FFT-accelerated time-domain multiconductor transmission line simulator," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 52, No. 1, 199-214, 2010.
29. Sirenko, Y. K., L. G. Velychko, and F. Erden, "Time-domain and frequency-domain methods combined in the study of open resonance structures of complex geometry," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 44, 57-79, 2004.
30. Velychko, L. G., Y. K. Sirenko, and O. S. Shafalyuk, "Time-domain analysis of open resonators. Analytical grounds," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 61, 1-26, 2006.
31. Velychko, L. G. and Y. K. Sirenko, "Controlled changes in spectra of open quasi-optical resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 16, 85-105, 2009.
32. Karmel, P. R., G. D. Colef, and R. L. Camisa, Introduction to Electromagnetic and Microwave Engineering, John Wiley, New York, 1998.
33. Shestopalov, V. P., A. A. Kirilenko, and L. A. Rud', Resonance Wave Scattering. Vol. 2. Waveguide Discontinuities, Naukova Dumka, Kiev, 1986 (in Russian).
34. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, Wiley, New York, 1998.
35. Belous, O. I., A. A. Kirilenko, V. I. Tkachenko, A. I. Fisun, and A. M. Fursov, "Excitation of an open stripline resonator by a plane waveguide," Radiophys. Quantum Electron., Vol. 37, No. 3, 181-189, 1994.
36. Sirenko, Y. K. and S. Strom, Modern Theory of Gratings. Resonant Scattering: Analysis Techniques and Phenomena, Springer, Berlin, 2010.
37. Taflove, A. and S. C. Hagness, Computational Electrodynamics: The Finite-difference Time-domain Method, Artech House, Boston, 2005.