In this study, a very compact, second-order, full differential bandpass filter is presented. To achieve compact circuit area and system-in-package (SiP) applications, the transformer structure is integrated using integrated passive device (IPD) technology on a glass substrate. The coupled resonator synthesis method is used to achieve the bandpass filter design and suitably adjust the tapped feed-lines to obtain good impedance match at all ports. The area (1.27 mm×1.27 mm) of the bandpass filter is effectively reduced, and the performance, as measured by insertion loss (2.5 dB) and CMRR (>30 dB), is still acceptable with such a compact area. Most importantly, this full differential bandpass filter is also suitable for SiP applications, as other studies implemented using glass IPD technology have demonstrated.
2. Razalli, M. S., A. Ismail, M. A. Mahdi, and M. N. Bin Hamidon, "Novel compact microstrip ultra-wideband filter utilizing short-circuited stubs with less vias," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 88, 91-104, 2008.
3. Yang, R.-Y., C.-M. Hung, C.-Y. Hung, and C.-C. Lin, "Design of a high band isolation diplexer for GPS and WLAN system using modified stepped-impedance resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 107, 101-114, 2010.
4. Yang, R.-Y., C.-M. Hung, C.-Y. Hung, and C.-C. Lin, "A high performance bandpass filter with a wide and deep stopband by using square stepped impedance resonators," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 11-12, 1673-1683, 2010.
5. Wu, H.-W. and R.-Y. Yang, "Design of a triple-passband microstrip bandpass filter with compact size," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 17-18, 2333-2341, 2010.
6. Chen, J., Z.-B.Weng, Y.-C. Jiao, and F.-S. Zhang, "Lowpass filter design of hilbert curve ring defected ground structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 70, 269-280, 2007.
7. NaghshvarianJahromi, M., "Novel compact meta-material tunable quasi elliptic band-pass filter using microstrip to slotline transition," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 17-18, 2371-2382, 2010.
8. Shen, W., W. Y. Yi, and X.-W. Sun, "Compact microstrip tri-section bandpass filters with mixed couplings," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 13, 1807-1816, 2010.
9. Lin, S. C., C. H. Wang, and C. H. Chen, "Novel patch-via-spiral resonators for the development of miniaturized bandpass filters with transmission zeros," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 55, 137-146, 2007.
10. Chen, C. F., T. Y. Huang, and R. B.Wu, "Novel compact net-type resonators and their applications to microstrip bandpass filters," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 54, 755-762, 2006.
11. Lim, T. B. and L. Zhu, "Differential-mode wideband bandpass filter with three transmission zeros under common-mode operation," Asia Pacific Microwave Conference, APMC 2009, 159-162, 2009.
12. Lim, T. B. and L. Zhu, "A differential-mode wideband bandpass filter on microstrip line for UWB application," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 19, 632-634, 2009.
13. Lim, T. B. and L. Zhu, "Differential-mode ultra-wideband bandpass filter on microstrip line," Electronics Letters, Vol. 45, 1124-1125, 2009.
14. Wu, C. H., C. H.Wang, and C. H. Chen, "Novel Balanced coupled-line bandpass filters with common-mode noise suppression," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 55, 287-295, 2007.
15. Wu, C. H., C. H. Wang, and C. H. Chen, "Stopband-extended balanced bandpass filter using coupled stepped-impedance resonators," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 17, 507-509, 2007.
16. Wu, C. H., C. H. Wang, and C. H. Chen, "Balanced coupled-resonator bandpass filters using multisection resonators for common-mode suppression and stopband extension," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 55, 1756-1763, 2007.
17. Jin, S. and X. Quan, "Balanced bandpass filters using center-loaded half-wavelength resonators," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 58, 970-977, 2010.
18. Shi, J., J. X. Chen, and Q. Xue, "A novel differential bandpass filter based on double-sided parallel-strip line dual-mode resonator," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 50, 1733-1735, 2008.
19. Zoschke, K., M. J. Wolf, M. Topper, O. Ehrmann, T. Fritzsch, K. Kaletta, F. J. Schmuckle, and H. Reichl, "Fabrication of application specific integrated passive devices using wafer level packaging technologies," IEEE Transactions on Advanced Packaging, Vol. 30, 359-368, 2007.
20. Clearfield, H. M., J. L. Young, S. D. Wijeyesekera, and E. A. Logan, "Wafer-level chip scale packaging: Benefits for integrated passive devices," IEEE Transactions on Advanced Packaging, Vol. 23, 247-251, 2000.
21. Wang, C.-C., H.-A. Yang, Y. C. Shyu, M.-H. Li, C.-T. Chiu, and C.-P. Hung, "Analysis of high performance RF integrated passive circuits using the glass substrate," IEEE 9th VLSI Packaging Workshop of Japan, VPWJ 2008, 135-138, 2008.
22. Ulrich, R. and L. Schaper, Integrated Passive Component Technology, 1st Edition, Wiley-IEEE Press, 2003.
23. Long, J. R., "Monolithic transformers for silicon RF IC design," IEEE Journal of Solid-state Circuits, Vol. 35, 1368-1382, 2000.
24. Huang, C. H., T.-C. Wei, T.-S. Horng, J.-Y. Li, C.-C. Chen, C.-C. Wang, C.-T. Chiu, and C.-P. Hung, "Design and modeling of planar transformer-based silicon integrated passive devices for wireless applications," IEEE Radio Frequency Integrated Circuits Symposium, RFIC 2009, 167-170, 2009.
25. Chen, C.-H., C.-H. Huang, T.-S. Horng, S.-M. Wu, C.-T. Chiu, C.-P. Hung, J.-Y. Li, and C.-C. Chen, "Very compact transformer-coupled balun-integrated bandpass filter using integrated passive device technology on glass substrate," 2010 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest (MTT), 1372-1375, 2010.
26. Hongtak, L., P. Changkun, and H. Songcheol, "A Quasi-four-pair class-E CMOS RF power amplifier with an integrated passive device transformer," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 57, 752-759, 2009.
27. Chen, H.-K., Y.-C. Hsu, T.-Y. Lin. D.-C. Chang. Y.-Z. Juang, and S.-S. Lu, "CMOS wideband LNA design using integrated passive device," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, MTT'09, 673-676, 2009.
28. Grima, M. L., S. Barth, S. Bosse, B. Jarry, P. Gamand, P. Meunier, and B. Barelaud, "A differential SiP (LNA-filter-mixer) in silicon technology for the SKA project," European Microwave Conference, 1129-1132, 2007.
29. Zampardi, P., "Performance and modeling of Si and SiGe for power amplifiers," 2007 Topical Meeting on Silicon Monolithic Integrated Circuits in RF Systems, 13-17, 2007.
30. Yu, J.-I., J.-M. Yook, J.-C. Park, C.-H. Kim, and Y.-S. Kwon, "Compact front end modules for WLAN applications with integrated passive devices using selectively anodized aluminum substrate," 2010 European Microwave Integrated Circuits Conference (EuMIC), 329-332, 2010.
31. Hong, J.-S. G. and M. J. Lancaster, Microstrip Filters for RF/Microwave Applications, Wiley, New York, 2001.
32. Bockelman, D. E. and W. R. Eisenstadt, "Combined differential and common-mode scattering parameters: Theory and simulation," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 43, 1530-1539, 1995.
33. Eisenstadt, W. R., B. Stengel, and B. M. Thompson, Microwave Differential Circuit Design Using Mixed-mode S-parameters, Artech House, Boston, 2006.