We present here a new pattern with compact size of Ultra Wideband (UWB) microwave filter. The filter is based on quarter-wave length short-circuited stubs model. We introduced here a new schematic model by extracting all parasitic elements such as T-junction and discontinuity in our new pattern of UWB filter. This new filter has minimal number of vias and improved frequency bandwidth, insertion loss and return loss. It is fabricated on RT Duroid 5880 with 0.508mm of substrate thickness. The final dimension is measured as 21mm×14 mm. It is not only compact, but also delivers excellent scattering parameters with magnitude of insertion loss, |S21| lower than 0.85 dB and return loss better than -11.6 dB. The fractional bandwidth is 109% from 3.06 GHz to 10.43 GHz. In the pass band, the measured group delay varies in between 0.47 ns to 0.32 ns, showing stability with minimum variation of only 0.15 ns.
2. Tsai, L. C. and C. W. Hsue, "Dual-band bandpass filters using equal-length coupled-serial-shunted lines and Z-transform technique," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 52, No. 4, 1111-1117, 2004.
3. Tanaka, A. and Y. Horii, "A compact multilayered bandpass filter with transmission zeroes for UWB applications," IEEE Proceeding of Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference, Vol. 1, 3-5, 2005.
4. Zhu, L., S. Sun, and W. Menzel, "Ultra-wideband (UWB) bandpass filters using multiple-mode resonator," IEEE Microwave Wireless Component Letters, Vol. 15, No. 11, 796-798, 2005.
5. Wong, S. W. and L. Zhu, "Implementation of compact UWB bandpass filter with a notch-band," IEEE Microwave Wireless Component Letters, Vol. 18, No. 1, 10-12, 2008.
6. Chen, C. P., Z. Ma, N. Nagaoka, and T. Anada, "Novel compact Ultra-Wideband bandpass filter employing short-circuited stubs with coupled stepped impedance resonator," IEEE Proceeding of Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference, Vol. 1, No. 4, 2007.
7. Singh, P. K., S. Basu, and Y. H. Wang, "Planar ultra-wideband bandpass filter using edge couple microstrip lines and stepped impedance open stub," Microwave Wireless Component Letters, Vol. 17, No. 9, 649-651, 2007.
8. Chu, Q. X. and S. T. Li, "Compact UWB bandpass filter with improved upper-stopband performance," Electronic Letters, Vol. 44, No. 12, 742-743, 2008.
9. Gao, J., W. Menzel, and F. Begelsack, "Short-circuited CPW multiple-mode resonator for ultra-wideband (UWB) bandpass filter," Microwave Wireless Component Letters, Vol. 16, No. 3, 104-106, 2006.
10. Hu, H. L., X. D. Huang, and C. H. Cheng, "Ultra-wideband bandpass filter using CPW-to-microstrip coupling structure," Electronic Letters, Vol. 42, No. 10, 586-587, 2006.
11. Weng, M. H., C. Y. Hung, and Y. K. Su, "A hairpin line diplexer for direct sequence ultra-wideband wireless communications," Microwave Wireless Component Letters, Vol. 17, No. 7, 519-521, 2007.
12. Rambabu, K., M. Y. W. Chia, K. M. Chan, and J. Bornemann, "Design of multiple-stopband filters for interference supression in UWB applications," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 54, No. 8, 3333-3338, 2006.
13. Ismail, A., M. S. Razalli, M. A. Mahdi, R. S. A. R. Abdullah, N. K. Nordin, and M. F. A. Rasid, "X-band trisection substrate-integrated waveguide quadsi-elliptic filter," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 85, 133-145, 2008.
14. Gan, H. L., D. X. Yang, and D. W. Lou, "Optimized design method of microstrip parallel-coupled bandpass filters with compensation for center frequency deviation," PIERS Online, Vol. 1, No. 3, 2005.
15. Chen, H. and Y.-X. Zhang, "A novel and compact UWB bandpass filter using microstrip fork-form resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 77, 273-280, 2007.
16. Zhao, L.-P., X. Zhai, B. Wu, T. Su, W. Xue, and C.-H. Liang, "Novel design of dua-mode bandpass filter using rectangular structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 3, 131-141, 2008.
17. Ghorbaninejad, H. and M. Khalaj-Amirhosseini, "Compact bandpass filters utilizing dielectric filled waveguides," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 7, 105-115, 2008.
18. Naghshvarian-Jahromi, M. and M. Tayarani, "Miniature planar UWB bandpass filters with circular slots in ground," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 3, 87-93, 2008.
19. Razalli, M. S., A. Ismail, M. A. Mahdi, and M. N. Hamidon, "Ultra-wide band microwave filter utilizing quarter-wavelength short-circuited stubs," Microwave Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 50, No. 11, 2981-2983, 2008.
20. Fooks, E. H. and R. A. Zakarevicius, Microwave Engineering Using Microstrip Circuit, Prentice Hall, Sydney, 1990.
21. Hong, J. S. and M. J. Lancaster, Microstrip Filters for RF/Microwave Applications, John Wiley & Sons Inc., New York, 2001.
22. Kirschning, R., H. Jansen, and N. H. L. Koster, "Measurement and computer-aided modeling of microstrip discontinuities by an improved resonator method," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microwave Symposium Digest, 495-497, 1983.
23. James, D. S. and R. J. P. Douville, "Compensation of microstrip bends by using square cutouts," Electronic Letters, Vol. 12, No. 22, 577-579, 1976.
24. Hsieh, L. H. and K. Chang, "Compact, low insertion-loss, sharp-rejection, and wide-band microstrip bandpass filters," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 51, No. 4, 1241-1246, 2003.
25. Chunfei, Y. and L. Erping, "Distributed capacitance and inductance of transmission lines by considering the effects from ends and bends," International Symposium Electromagnetic Component, 10-102, 2002.
26., "CST Microwave Studio 2006B.,".