This paper presents a novel modified Printed Tapered Monopole Antenna (PTMA)for ultra wideband (UWB)wireless communication applications. The proposed antenna consists of a truncated ground plane and two-tapered radiating patch separated by a slot (air gap)of different slopes, which provides a wideband behavior and relatively good matching. Moreover, the effects of a modified T-shaped slot inserted in the first tapered patch, on the impedance matching is investigated. The antenna has a small area of 23 × 26.5mm2 and offers an impedance bandwidth as high as 100% at a centre frequency of 7.2 GHz for S11 < −10 dB, which has an area reduction of 15% and a frequency bandwidth increment of 72% with respect to the previous similar antenna. The presented antenna covers the 5.2/5.8 GHz WLAN and 5.5 GHz WIMAX operating bands. Numerical analysis using Ansoft HFSS and measurement results is also presented in the paper.
2. Zhao, G., F. S. Zhang, Y. Song, Z. B. Weng, and Y. C. Jiao, "Compact ring monopole antenna with double meander lines for 2.4/5 GHz dual-band operation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 72, 187-194, 2007.
3. Eldek, A. A., A. Z. Elsherbeni, and C. E. Smith, "Dual-wideband square slot antenna with a U-shaped printed tuning stub for wireless communication systems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 53, 319-333, 2005.
4. Liu, W. C., "Optimal design of dualband CPW-fed Gshaped monopole antenna for wlan application," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 74, 21-38, 2007.
5. Verbiest, J. R. and G. A. E. Vandenbosch, "A novel smallsize printed tapered monopole antenna for UWB wban," IEEE Antennas Letters, Vol. 5, 377-379, 2006.
6. Jung, J., W. Choi, and J. Choi, "A small wideband microstripfed monopole antenna," IEEE Microwave Letters, Vol. 15, No. 10, 703-705, 2005.
7. Jung, J., W. Choi, and J. Choi, "A compact broadband antenna with an L-shaped notch," IEICE Trans. Commun., Vol. E89-B, No. 6, 1968-1971, 2006.
8. Ammann, M. J. and Z. N. Chen, "A wideband shorted planar monopole with bevel," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 4, 901-903, 2003.
9. Ansoft High Frequency Structure Simulation (HFSS), Ver. 10, Ansoft Corporation, 2005., 2005.
10. FCC, ``First report, "First report and order on ultra-wideband technology," Tech. Rep., 2002.
11. Eldek, A. A., A. Z. Elsherbeni, and C. E. Smith, "Square slot antenna for dual wideband wireless communication systems,", Vol. 19, No. 12, 1571-1581, 2005.
12. Shams, K. M. Z., M. Ali, and H. S. Hwang, "A planar inductively coupled bow-tie slot antenna for WLAN application," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, 861-871, 2006.
13. Liu, W. C. and C. F. Hsu, "CPW-fed notched monopole antenna for UMTS/IMT-2000/WLAN applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, 841-851, 2007.