Two novel structures for high-Q MEMS tumble capacitors are presented. The proposed designs include full plate as well as the comb structured capacitors. They can be fabricated employing surface micromachining technology which is CMOS-compatible. The structures do not require the cantilever beams which introduce considerable series resistance to the capacitor and decrease the quality factor. Therefore, our proposed structures achieve better Q in a smaller die area. The simulated results for 1 pF full plate capacitor shows a tuning range of 42% and a Q of 47 at 1 GHz. However, with the same initial capacitance, but the comb structure, the tuning range is increased to 43% but the Q is decreased to 45 at 1 GHz. The simulated Pull-in voltage with no residual stress is 3.5 V for both capacitors. The S11 responses are reported for a frequency range from 1 up to 4 GHz.
2. Alexander, D. and K. Suyama, "Miromachined capacitors and their pplication to RF IC's," IEEE Transactions on Microwav Theory and Techniques, Vol. 46, No. 12, 2587-2596, 1998.
3. Alexander, D. and K. Suyama, 2.4 GHz CMOS LC VCO using micromachined variable capacitors for frequency tuning, Microwave Symposium Digest, Vol. 1, 79-82, 1999.
4. Feng, Z., W. Zhang, B. Su, Gupta, Bright, and Lee, Design and modeling of RF MEMS tunable capacitors using electro-thermal actuators, Microwave Symposium Digest, Vol. 4, 1507-1510, 1999.
5. Harsh, K., F. Zhang, Bright, and Lee, Flip-chip assembly for Si-based RF MEMS, MEMS'99 Twelfth IEEE International Conference on Micro Eelctro Mechanical Systems, 273-278, 1999.
6. Bakri-Kassem, M. and R. R. Mansour, "Two movable-plate nitride-loaded MEMS variable capacitor," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Applications, Vol. 52, No. 3, 2004.
7. Moaveni, S., Finite Element Analysis Theory and Applications with ANSYS, Prentice Hall, 1999.
8. Edwareds, T. C. and M. B. Steer, Foundations of Interconnect and Microstrip Design, 3rd edition, Chapter 6, John Wiley & Sons Ltd., 2000.
9. Young, D. J. and B. E. Boser, "A micromachined variable capacitor for monolithic low-noise VCOs," Solid-state Sensor and Actuator Workshop, No. 6, 86-89, 1996.
10. Kassem, M. B. and R. R. Mansour, "Two movable-plate nitride-loaded MEMS variable capacitor," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 52, No. 3, 2004.
11. Dec, A. and K. Suyama, "Micromachined varactor with wide tuning range," Electronics Letters, Vol. 33, No. 5, 922-924, 1997.
12. Dec, A. and K. Suyama, "Miromachined capacitors and their application to RF IC's," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 46, No. 12, 2587-2596, 1998.