In this paper, rain statistics of 10 years record in Taiwan area was used to investigate the transmission performance of the Ka- band LMDS system with QAM modulation. Emphasis was placed to investigate the effects of rain fading under M-QAM modulation schemes. It is found that for LMDS cellular network, M-QAM modulation is difficult to provide an effective and reliable high speed transmission for the case of 6 km radius of cell coverage unless the frequency and polarization diversities are applied; otherwise, the cell coverage of service should be shrunk.
2. Davarian, F. and D. Rogers, and R. Crane Special Issue on: Ka- band propagtion effects on earth-satellite links, Proceeding of the IEEE, Vol. 85, No. 6, 805-1024, 1997.
3. Crane, R. K., Propagation phenomena affecting satellite com- munication systems operating in the centimeter and millimeter wavelength bands, Proc. IEEE, Vol. 59, No. 2, 173-188, 1997.
4. Crane, R. K., Electromagnetic Wave Propagation through Rain, Wiley.
5. Chu, C. Y. and K. S. Chen, "The effects of rain fading on the efficiency of the Ka-band LMDS system in the Taiwan area," IEEE Trans. Vehicular Technology, Vol. 54, No. 1, 9-19, 2005.
6. Bhargava, V. K, D. Haccoun, R. Matayas, and P. P. Nuspl, Digital Communications by Satel lite: Modulation, Multiple Access and Coding, Wiley, New York, 1981.
7. Freeman, R. L., Radio System Design for Telecommunications, 2nd edition, Wiley, 1997.
8. Filip, M. and E. Vilar, "Optimum utilization of the channel capacity of a satellite link in presence of amplitude scintillations and rain attenuation," IEEE Transaction on Communication, Vol. 38, No. 11, 1958-1965, 1990.
9. Chebil, J. and T. A. Rahman, "Rain rate statistical conversion for the prediction of rain attenuation in malaysia," Electronics Letters, Vol. 35, No. 12, 1019-1020, 1999.
10. ITU-R Rec., ``Propagation data, "Propagation data and prediction methods required for the design of terrestrial line-of-sight systems," 530-8., 530-8.
11. Paraboni, A., G. Masini, and A. Elia, "The effect of precipitation on microwave LMDS networks â€” performance analysis using a physical raincell model," IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, Vol. 20, No. 3, 615-619, 2002.
12. Hendrantoro, G., R. J. C. Bultitude, and D. D. Falconer, "Use of cell-site diversity in millimeter-wave fixed cellular systems to combat the effects of rain attenuation," IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, Vol. 20, No. 3, 602-614, 2002.
13. Bates, R. J., Broadband Telecommunications Handbook, 2nd edition, McGraw-Hill, New York, 2002.
14. Bose, R., G. Bauer, and R. Jacoby, "Two-dimensional line of sight interference analysis of LMDS networks for the downlink and uplink," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat, Vol. 52, No. 9, 2464-2473, 2004.
15. Arapoglou, P.-D. M., A. D. Panagopoulos, J. D. Kanellopoulos, and P. G. Cottis, "Intercell radio interference studies in CDMA- based LMDS networks," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 53, No. 8, 2471-2479, 2005.