This paper presents a novel design of a triangle slot antenna fed by a coplanar waveguide. The antenna consists of a symmetric triangle slot tuned by a metal stub and slot hat. The antenna exhibits a wide bandwidth of 57% for X-band frequencies with an average gain of 4.5 dB and cross polarization level of âˆ’10 dB. In addition to being small in size, the coupling between the two elements of this type antenna is in the order of âˆ’15 dB or less, which makes it a good candidate for a phased array system. A linear array of 8- elements is simulated and results indicated that a steering angle of 50â—¦ is attainable without grating lobes.
2. Lin, Y.-D. and S.-N. Tsai, "Coplanar waveguide-fed uniplanar bow-tie antenna," IEEE Trans. On Ant. Prop., Vol. AP-45, No. 2, 305-306, 2000.
3. Eldek, A. A., A. Z. Elsherbeni, C. E. Smith, and K.-F. Lee, Wideband slot antennas for radar applications, Proc. IEEE Radar Conf., No. 5, 79-84, 2003.
4. Soliman, E. A., S. Berbels, P. Delmotte, G. A. E. Vandenbosch, and E. Beyne, "Bow-tie slot antenna fed by CPW," Electron Lett., Vol. 35, 514-515, 1999.
5. Huang, J.-F. and C.-W. Kuo, "CPW-fed bow-tie slot antenna," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 19, No. 5, 358-360, 1998.
6. Miao, M., B. L. Ooi, and P. S. Kooi, "Broadband CPW-fed wide slot antenna," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 25, No. 3, 206-211, 2000.
7. Eldek, A. A., A. Z. Elsherbeni, and C. E. Smith, Wideband bow-tie slot antennas for radar applications, 2003 IEEE Topical Conference on Wireless Communication Technology, No. 10, 2003.
8. Advance Design Systems 1.5 Momentum, Appendix A, Agilent Technologies, 2000.
9. Roden, J. A. and S. D. Gedney, "Convolutional PML (CPML): An efficient FDTD implementation of the CFS-PML for arbitrary media," Microwave Opt. Tech. Lett., Vol. 27, No. 5, 334-339, 2000.