In this paper, an asymmetric thrust magnetic bearing (MB) design principle and method are introduced. Different from the general design method of magnetic bearing, the asymmetric magnetic bearing design method focuses on the effect of asymmetric factor. A permanent magnet biased asymmetric hybrid thrust magnetic bearing (AHTMB) with secondary air-gap is designed in detail. A multi-objective optimization is conducted with genetic algorithm (GA) to get smaller mass and less loss. According to optimized model parameters, magnetic field distribution, stiffness and effect of asymmetry factor on stiffness are also analyzed. For stability of the system, equivalent stiffness and equivalent damping and current characteristics are deduced. Based on the analysis results and design methods, appropriate asymmetry factor asymmetric can be chosen to satisfy the different bias force requirement. With small number of coils and current, AHTMB with secondary air-gap is beneficial for decreasing the copper loss and enhancing dynamic performance of control system.
2. Eaton, D., J. Rama, and S. Singhal, "Magnetic bearing applications & economics," Proc. PCIC, 1-9, September 2010.
3. Ren, X. J., Y. Le, and B. C. Han, "System electromagnetic loss analysis and temperature field estimate of a magnetically suspended motor," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 55, 51-61, 2017.
4. Eaton, D., J. Rama, and S. Singhal, "Magnetic bearing applications & economics," Proc. PCIC, 1-9, September 2010.
5. Betschon, F., Design Principles of Integrated Magnetic Bearings, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Zurich, 2000.
6. Han, B. C., et al., "Modeling and analysis of coupling performance between passive magnetic bearing and hybrid magnetic radial bearing for magnetically suspended flywheel," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 49, No. 10, 5356-5370, 2013.
7. Le, Y., J. Fang, and J. Sun, "An integrated passive magnetic damping system for high-speed compressor with flexible rotor," Proc. ImechE, Part C: J. Mechanical Engineering Science, Vol. 229, No. 6, 1150-1161, 2015.
8. Fang, J., C. Wang, and J. Tang, "Modeling and analysis of a novel conical magnetic bearing for vernier-gimballing magnetically suspended flywheel," Proc. ImechE, Part C: J Mechanical Engineering Science, Vol. 228, No. 13, 2416-2425, 2014.
9. Fang, J. C., et al., "AMB vibration control for structural resonance of double-gimbal control moment gyro with high-speed magnetically suspended rotor," IEEE Transactions on Mechatronics, Vol. 18, No. 1, 32-43, 2013.
10. Zheng, S. Q., et al., "Composite hierarchical antidisturbance control for magnetic bearing system subject to multiple external disturbances," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 61, No. 12, 7004-7012, 2014.
11. Fang, J. C., Y. Le, J. J. Sun, and K. Wang, "Analysis and design of passive magnetic bearing and damping system for high-speed compressor," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 48, No. 9, 2528-2537, 2012.
12. Noh, M. D., S. Cho, J. Kyung, S. Ro, and J. Park, "Design and implementation of a fault-tolerant magnetic bearing system for turbo-molecular vacuum pump," IEEE/ASME Trans. Mech., Vol. 10, No. 6, 626-631, 2005.
13. Selmy, M., M. Fanni, and A. M. Mohamed, "Design and control of a novel contactless active robotic joint using AMB," 2015 IEEE International Conference on Autonomous Robot Systems and Competitions (ICARSC), 144-149, December 2015.
14. Ren, X. J., et al., "Magnetic flux leakage modeling and optimization of a combined radial-axial hybrid magnetic bearing for DC motor," IET Electric Power Applications, Vol. 17, No. 2, 212-221, 2017.
15. Liu, X. X., et al., "Design and static performance analysis of a novel axial hybrid magnetic bearing," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 50, No. 11, 8300404, 2014.
16. Zhang, W. and H. Zhu, "Improved model and experiment for AC-DC three-degree-of-freedom hybrid magnetic bearing," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 49, No. 11, 5554-5565, 2013.
17. Bachovchin, K. D., J. F. Hoburg, and R. F. Post, "Magnetic fields and forces in permanent magnet levitated bearings," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 48, No. 7, 2112-2120, 2012.
18. Fang, J. C., et al., "Homopolar 2-pole radial permanent-magnet biased magnetic bearing with low rotating loss," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 48, No. 8, 2293-2303, 2012.
19. Eryong, H. and L. Kun, "Investigation of axial carrying capacity of radial hybrid magnetic bearing," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 48, No. 1, 38-46, 2012.
20. Eryong, H. and L. Kun, "A novel structure for low-loss radial hybrid magnetic bearing," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 47, No. 12, 4725-4733, 2011.
21. Zhu, H. and J. Ju, "Design and optimisation of three-pole radial-axial HMB with independent radial and axial carrying capacity," 2015 IEEE Magnetics Conference (INTERMAG), Beijing, May 11–15, 2015.
22. Garcia, P., et al., "Sensorless control of three-pole active magnetic bearings using saliency-trackingbased methods," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 46, No. 4, 1476-1484, 2010.
23. Ji, L., L. X. Xu, and C. W. Jin, "Research on a low power consumption six-pole heteropolar hybrid magnetic bearing," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 49, No. 8, 4918-4926, 2013.
24. Le, Y., J. C. Fang, and J. J. Sun, "Design of a halbach array permanent magnet damping system for high speed compressor with large thrust load," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 51, No. 1, 8300109, 2015.
25. Tomczuk, B., J. Zimon, and D. Wajnert, "Eddy current influence on the parameters of the active magnetic bearing," Proceedings of the 12th International Symposium on Magnetic Bearings, 267-272, Wuhan, China, August 22–25, 2010.
26. Zimon, J., B. Tomczuk, and D. Wajnert, "Field-circuit modeling of AMB system for various speeds of the rotor," Journal of Vibroengineering, Vol. 14, 165-170, March 2012.
27. Tomczuk, B., D. Wajnert, and J. Zimon, "Influence of bias current value on properties of active magnetic bearing," Solid State Phenomena, Vol. 198, 513-518, 2013.
28. Tomczuk, B., J. Zimon, and D. Wajnert, "Field-circuit modeling of the 12-pole magnetic bearing characteristics," Proceedings of Compumag. 2013, Budapest, Hungary, June 30--July 4, 2013.
29. Wajnert, D. and B. Tomczuk, "Simulation for the determination of the hybrid magnetic bearing's electromagnetic parameters," Electrical Review, 157-160, Poland, (Przegl¸ad Elektrotechniczny), ISSN 0033-2097, R. 93 NR 2/2017.
30. Gieras, J. F., Z. J. Piech, and B. Z. Tomczuk, Linear Synchronous Motors, Taylor & Francis, USA, 2012.
31. Datta, R., S. Pradhan, and B. Bhattacharya, "Analysis and design optimization of a robotic gripper using multiobjective genetic algorithm," IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics: Systems, Vol. 46, No. 1, 16-26, 2016.
32. Lin, C. T., M. Prasad, and A. Saxena, "An improved polynomial neural network classifier using real-coded genetic algorithm," IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics: Systems, Vol. 45, No. 11, 1389-1401, 2015.
33. Zhang, S. G., et al., "Optimal selection of imperfect tests for fault detection and isolation," IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics: Systems, Vol. 43, No. 6, 1370-1384, 2013.