A low cost technology based on FR4 and thin flexible Pyralux substrate to develop membrane antennas/array with high efficiency and wide bandwidth for high speed V-band communication systems is proposed in this paper. A new low cost thin Pyralux substrate with a thickness of 75 μm, relative permittivity of εr = 2.4 and tanδ = 0.002 is used. First we developed the known classical aperture coupled antennas based on FR4 and pyralux substrate to validate this technology. The simulated and measured antenna radiation parameters for a single patch, 1x4 array of patches using aperture coupled technology give good results in terms of S11 bandwidth, gain and radiation pattern. But the back radiation is found to be high due to some radiation from the slot and the feeding microstrip line. Measurements of the antennas show approximately 9.7% and 10.8% impedance bandwidth (S11= -10 dB) with a maximum gain of 7.6 dBi and 12.4 dBi around 60 GHz, respectively. In order to reduce the back radiation, we developed slot coupled antennas with substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) technology. Measurements show a 10 % and 7.5 % impedance bandwidth with a maximum antenna gain of 7.9 dBi and 12.7 dBi around 60 GHz for SIW single patch and 1 x 4 array antenna, respectively. The efficiency in this case is found to be very good due to very low back radiation. The measured results are in good agreement with the numerical simulations. The new thin substrate used for making the antenna helps easy integration with millimeter wave components and circuits.
2. Nesic, A., D. Nesic, V. Brankovic, K. Sasaki, and K. Kawasaki, "Antenna solution for future communication devices in mm-wave range," Microwave Review, 9-17, Dec. 2001.
3. Smulders, P. F. M., "60 GHz radio: Prospects and future directions," Proceedings Symposium IEEE Benelux Chapter on Communications and Vehicular Technology, 1-8, Eindhoven, 2003.
4. Guo, N., R. C. Qiu, S. S. Mo, and K. Takahashi, "60-GHz millimeter-wave radio: Principle, technology and new results," EURASIP Journal on Wireless Communications and Networking, 1-8, 2007.
5. Richardson, A. J. and P. A.Watson, "Use of the 55-65 GHz oxygen absorption band fort short-range broadband radio networks with minimal regulatory control," Proc. Inst. Elect. Eng., Vol. 137, 233-241, Aug. 1990.
6. Montusclat, S., F. Gianesello, and D. Gloria, "Silicon full integrated LNA, filter and antenna system beyond 40 GHz for MMW wireless communication links in advanced CMOS technologies," Proc. IEEE Radio Frequency Integrated Circuits Symp., 77-80, 2006.
7. Nakano, H., R. Suga, Y. Hirachi, J. Hirokawa, and M. Ando, "Dipole antenna on a thick resin layer on the back side of a silicon chip at 60 GHz ," Proc. European Microwave Conf., 528-531, Sep. 2009.
8. Tsutsumi, Y., M. Nishio, S. Sekine, H. Shoki, and T. Morooka, "A triangular loop antenna mounted adjacent to a lossy Si substrate for millimeter-wave wireless PAN," Proc. IEEE Antenna Propagat. Symp., 1008-1011, Jun. 2007.
9. Willmot, R., D. Kim, and D. Peroulis, "A Yagi-Uda array of high-efficiency wire-bond antennas for on-chip radio applications," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 57, No. 2, 3315-3321, 2009.
10. Adane, A., F. Gallee, C. Person, V. Puyal, C. Villeneuve, and D. Dragomirescu, "Implementation of broadband microstrip-u coupled patch array on Si/BCB membrane for beamforming applications at 60 GHz ," Proceedings of the 5th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EUCAP), 2011.
11. Sarrazin, T., O. Lafond, M. Himdi, N. Rolland, and L. Roy, "Antenne microstrip alimentée par fente inversée pour l'intégration hétérogène 3D (System-in-Package) en gamme millimhhétique [60 GHz]," JNM, 2011.
12. Neculoiu, D., G. Konstantinidis, L. Bary, A.Muller, D. Vasilache, A. Stavinidris, P. Pons, and R. Plana, "Membrane-supported Yagi-Uda millimeter-wave ntennas," Proc. `EuCAP', Nice, France, Nov. 6-10, 2006; ESA SP-626, Oct. 2006.
13. Neculoiu, D., P. Pons, R. Plana, P. Blondy, A. Muller, and D. Vasilache, "MEMs antennas for millimeterwave applications," MEMS Components and Applications for Industry, Automobiles, Aerospace, and Communication, Proceedings of SPIE, Vol. 4559, Henry Helvajian, Siegfried W. Janson, Franz Lärmer, Ed., 2011.
14. Digby, J. W., C. E. McIntosh, G. M. Parkhurst, J. W. Hadjiloucas, J. M. Chamberlain, R. D. Pollard, R. E. Miles, D. P. Steenson, N. J. Cronin, and S. R. Davies , "Fabrication and characterization of micromachined rectangular waveguide components for use at millimeter-wave and terahertz frequencies," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 48, No. 8, 1293-1302, Aug. 2000.
15. McGrath, W., R. C. Walker, M. Yap, and Y. Tai, "Silicon micro-machined waveguides for millimeter-wave and submillimeter-wave frequencies," IEEE Microw. Guided Wave Lett., Vol. 3, No. 3, 61-63, Mar. 1993.
16. Deslandes, D. and K. Wu, "Integrated microstrip and rectangular waveguide in planar form," IEEE Microw Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 11, 68-70, Feb. 2001.
17. Yan, L., W. Hong, G. Hua, J. Chen, K. Wu, and T. J. Cui, "Simulation and experiment on SIW slot array antennas," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 14, No. 9, 446-448, Sep. 2004.
18. Hong, W., B. Liu, G. Q. Luo, Q. H. Lai, J. F. Xu, Z. C. Hao, F. F. He, and X. X. Yin, "Integrated microwave and millimeter wave antennas based on SIW and HMSIW technology," Proc. IEEE Int. Workshop Antenna Tech. Small Smart Antennas Metamater. and Applicat., (iWAT), 69-72, Mar. 2007.
19. Nakano, H., R. Suga, Y. Hirachi, J. Hirokawa, and M. Ando, "60-GHz post-wall waveguide aperture antenna with directors made by multilayer PCB process," Proc. EuCAP, Italy, Apr. 11-15, 2011.
20. Stephens, D., P. R. Young, and I. D. Robertson, "W-band substrate integrated waveguide slot antenna," Electron. Lett., Vol. 41, No. 4, 165-167, Feb. 2005.
21. Cheng, S., H. Yousef, and H. Kratz, "79 GHz slot antennas based on substrate integrated waveguides (SIW) in a flexible printed circuit board," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 1, 64-71, Jan. 2009.
22. , , , http://www2.dupont.com/Pyralux/en US/assets/downloads/pdf/Pyralux TK DataSheet.pdf .
23. Abdel-Wahab, W. M. and S. Safavi-Naeini, "Wide-bandwidth 60-GHz aperture-coupled microstrip patch antennas (MPAs) fed by substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) ," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 1003-1005, 2011.
24. Yan, L., W. Hong, K. Wu, and T. J. Cui, "Investigations on the propagation characteristics of the substrate integrated waveguide based on the method of lines," Inst. Elect. Eng. Proc., Microwaves, Antennas Propag., Vol. 152, 35-42, 2005.