In this paper, we examine the close relationship that exists between the phenomenon of electromagnetic (EM) wave tunneling through stacks of single-negative metamaterial slabs and classical microwave filter theory. In particular, we examine the propagation of EM waves through a generalized multi-layer structure composed of N ϵ-negative layers separated from each other by N-1 μ-negative layers, where N≥2 is a positive integer. We demonstrate that, if certain conditions are met, this multi-layer structure can act as a capacitively-coupled, coupled-resonator filter with an Nth-order bandpass response. Exploiting this relationship, we develop a generalized, analytical synthesis method that can be used to determine the physical parameters of this structure from its a priori known frequency response. We present several design examples in conjunction with numerical EM simulation results to demonstrate the validity of this analogy and examine the accuracy of the proposed synthesis procedure.
2. Dragila, B., B. Luther-Davies, and S. Vukovic, "High transparency of classically opaque metallic films," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 55, 1117-1120, 1985.
3. Alu, A. and N. Engtheta, "Pairing an epsilon-negative slab with a mu-negative slab: resonance, tunneling and transparency," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 51, 2558-2571, 2003.
4. Alu, A. and N. Engtheta, "Guided modes in a waveguide filled with a pair of single-negative (SNG), double-negative (DNG), and/or double-positive (DPS) layers ," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Techn., Vol. 52, 199-210, 2004.
5. Jiang, H., H. Chen, H. Li, Y. Zhang, J. Zi, and S. Zhu, "Properties of one-dimensional photonic crystals containing single-negative materials," IEEE Trans. on Phys. Rev. E, Vol. 69, 066607, 2004.
6. Kim, K. Y., "Photon tunneling in composite layers of negative-and positive-index media," Phys. Rev. E, Vol. 70, 047603, 2004.
7. Kim, K. Y., "Properties of photon tunneling through single-negative materials," Opt. Lett., Vol. 30, 430-432, 2005.
8. Alu, A. and N. Engtheta, "Evanescent growth and tunneling through stacks of frequency-selective surfaces," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 4, 417-420, 2005.
9. Zhou, L., W. Wen, C. T. Chen, and P. Sheng, "Electromagnetic wave tunneling through negative-permittivity media with high magnetic fields," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 94, 243905, 2005.
10. Hooper, I. R., T. W. Preist, and J. R. Sambles, "Making tunnel barriers (including metals) transparent," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 97, 053902, 2006.
11. Alu, A., N. Engtheta, and R. W. Ziolkowski, "Transmission-line analysis of epsilon-near-zero (ENZ)-filled narrow channels," Phys. Rev. E, Vol. 74, 016604, 2006.
12. Guan, G., H. Jiang, H. Li, H. Zhang, H. Chen, and S. Zhu, "Tunneling modes of photonic heterostructures consisting of single-negative materials," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 88, 211112, 2006.
13. Kim, K. Y. and B. Lee, "Complete tunneling of light through impedance-mismatched barrier layers," Phys. Rev. A, Vol. 77, 023822, 2008.
14. Feng, T., Y. Li, H. Jiang, Y. Sun, H. Li, Y. Zhang, Y. Shi, and H. Chen, "Electromagnetic tunneling in a sandwich structure containing single negative media ," Phys. Rev. E, Vol. 79, 026601, 2009.
15. Ding, Y., Y. Li, H. Jiang, and H. Chen, "Electromagnetic tunneling in nonconjugated epsilon-negative and mu-negative metamaterial pair," PIERS Online, Vol. 6, 109-112, 2010.
16. Butler, C. A. M., I. R. Hooper, A. P. Hibbins, J. R. Sambles, and P. A. Hobson, "Metamaterial tunnel barrier gives broadband microwave transmission," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 109, 013104, 2011.
17. Al-Joumayly, M. and N. Behdad, "A generalized method for synthesizing low-profile, band-pass frequency selective surfaces with non-resonant constituting elements," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 58, 4033-4041, 2010.
18. Castaldi, G., I. Gallina, V. Galdi, A. Alu, and N. Engheta, "Electromagnetic tunneling through a single-negative slab paired with a double-positive bilayer," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 83, 081105, 2011.
19. Castaldi, G., I. Gallina, V. Galdi, A. Alu, and N. Engheta, "Transformation-optics generalization of tunneling effects in bilayers made of paired epsilon-negative/mu-negative media," J. Opt., Vol. 13, 024011, 2011.
20. Zverev, A. I., Hankbook of Filter Synthesis, Wiley-Interscience, New York, 1967.
21. Cameron, R. J., Microwave Magazine, Vol. 12, 42, 2011.