The subject of this article is to optimize the design of synchronous reluctance machines with massive rotor and multi-flux barrier rotor. The optimization procedure, which aims to improve simultaneously the machines' torque and the power factor, uses the cyclic coordinate method coupled with the magnetostatic finite-element (FE) field solutions. The optimization results regarding these two types of machines, which provide the optimized rotor geometrical dimensions and the influence of the current angle, are discussed.
2. Boglietti, A., A. Cavagnino, M. Pastorelli, and A. Vagati, "Experimental comparison of induction and synchronous reluctance motors performance," Conference Record of the 2005 Industry Applications Conference, Fortieth IAS Annual Meeting, Vol. 1, 474-479, 2005.
3. Park, J. D., C. Khalizadeh, and H. Hofmann, "Design and control of high-speed solid-rotor synchronous reluctance drive with three-phase LC filter," Conference Record of the 2005 Industry Applications Conference, Fortieth IAS Annual Meeting, Vol. 1, 715-722, 2005.
4. Hofmann, H. and S. R. Sanders, "High-speed synchronous reluctance machine with minimized rotor loss," IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, Vol. 36, No. 2, 531-539, 2000.
5. Matsuo, T. and T. A. Lipo, "Rotor design optimization of synchronous reluctance machine," IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, Vol. 9, No. 2, 359-365, 1994.
6. Kim, K.-C., J. S. Ahn, S. H. Won, J.-P. Hong, and J. Lee, "A study on the optimal design of SynRM for the high torque and power factor," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 43, No. 6, 2543-2545, 2007.
7. Hudák, P., V. Hrabovcová, and P. Rafajdus, "Geometrical dimension influence of multi-barrier rotor on reluctance synchronous motor performances," International Symposium on Power Electronics, Electrical Drives, Automation and Motion SPEEDAM, 346-351, 2006.
8. Chalmers, B. J. and L. Musaba, "Design and field-weakening performance of a synchronous reluctance motor with axially laminated rotor," IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, Vol. 34, No. 5, 1035-1041, 1998.
9. Raminosoa, T., I. Rasoanarivo, and F. M. Sargos, "Reluctance network analysis of high power synchronous reluctance motor with saturation and iron losses considerations," 12th International Power Electronics and Motion Control Conference, 1052-1057, 2006.
10. Lipo, T. A., A. Vagati, L. Malesani, and T. Fukao, "Synchronous reluctance motors and drives --- A new alternative," Proc. IEEE IAS Annual Meeting, Tutorial Course, Electric Machines Committee, 1992.
11. Kolehmainen, J., "Synchronous reluctance motor with form blocked rotor," IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, Vol. 25, No. 2, 450-457, 2010.
12. Meeker, D. C., Finite element method magnetics, version 4.0.1, (03 December 2006 build), available at: http://femm.foster-miller.net.
13. Popescu, M., "Prediction of the electromagnetic torque in synchronous machines through Maxwell stress harmonic filter (HFT) method," Electrical Engineering, Vol. 89, No. 2, 117-125, 2006.
14. Zarko, D., A systematic approach to optimized design of permanent magnet motors with reduced torque pulsations, Ph.D. Dissertation, University of Wisconsin, Madison, 2004.
15. Kamper, M. J., F. S. van der Merwe, and S. Williamson, "Direct finite element design optimisation of the cageless reluctance synchronous machine," IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, Vol. 11, No. 3, 547-555, 1996.
16. Moghaddam, R. R., Synchronous reluctance machine (SynRM) design, M.S. Thesis in Power Electrical Engineering, Royal Institute of Technology (KTH), Stockholm, Sweden, 2007.
17. Bazaraa, M. S., H. D. Sherall, and C. M. Shetty, Nonlinear Programming Theory and Algorithms, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 1993.
18. Zaïm, M. E., K. Dakhouche, and M. Bounekhla, "Design for torque ripple reduction of a three-phase switched reluctance machine," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 38, No. 2, 1189-1192, 2002.
19. Haataja, J., A comparative performance study of four-pole induction motors and synchronous reluctance motor in variable speed drives, Ph.D. Thesis, Lappeenranta University of Technology, 2003.