In this paper, a novel dual-frequency circularly polarized (CP) antenna applied to BDS system is presented. CP radiation is achieved by etching slotted circular patches of complementary open-loop resonators, which are excited by a feeding network consisting of a double-layer power divider. The circular patch is miniaturized by a complementary split-ring resonator (CSRR) etched on the patch. The overall dimension of the antenna is only 0.32λ0×0.32λ0×0.0104λ0, where λ0 is the corresponding free space wavelength at 1.268 GHz. The proposed antenna has 50 MHz (1.25-1.30 GHz) and 60 MHz (1.53-1.59 GHz) impedance bandwidth and 20 MHz (1.25-1.27 GHz) and 20 MHz (1.55-1.57 GHz) axial ratio bandwidth, respectively. The antenna profile is low, which is easy to install. Because of these performance indexes, the antenna has superior practicability in BDS system.
2. Chang, T.-N., J.-M. Lin, and Y. G. Chen, "A circularly polarized ring-antenna fed by a serially coupled square slot-ring," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 2, 1132-1135, Feb. 2012.
3. Cai, Y. M., S. F. Zheng, Y. Z. Yin, J. J. Xie, and K. Li, "Single-feed circularly polarized annular slot antenna for dual-broadband operation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 39, 91-101, 2013.
4. Li, W.-M., B. Liu, and H.-W. Zhao, "The U-shaped structure in dual-band circularly polarized slot antenna design," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 13, 447-450, 2014.
5. Ta, S. X., I. Park, and R. W. Ziolkowski, "Dual-band wide-beam crossed asymmetric dipole antenna for GPS applications," Eletronics Letters, Vol. 48, No. 25, 1580-1581, 2012.
6. Lin, Y. F., et al., "Circularly polarized crossed dipole antenna with phase delay lines for RFID handheld reader," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 3, 1221-1227, 2012.
7. Su, C. M. and K. L. Wong, "A dual-band GPS microstrip antenna," Microw. Opt. Technol. Let, Vol. 33, No. 4, 238-240, 2002.
8. Ramírez, M. and J. Parrόn, "Dual-band circularly polarized microstrip antenna," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 26, No. 5-6, 737-743, 2012, DOI: 10.1080/09205071.2012.710802.
9. Long, J. and D. F. Sievenpiper, "A compact broadband dual-polarized patch antenna for satellite communication/navigation applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 14, 273-276, 2015.
10. Chen, M. and C.-C. Chen, "A compact dual-band GPS antenna design," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 12, 245-248, 2013.
11. Gupta, S. and G. Mumcu, "Dual-band miniature coupled double loop GPS antenna loaded with lumped capacitors and inductive pins," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 61, No. 6, 2904-2910, 2013.
12. Nasimuddin, X. Qing and Z. N. Chen, "A compact circularly polarized slotted patch antenna for GNSS applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 62, No. 12, 6506-6509, 2014.
13. Sun, C., H. Zheng, and Y. Liu, "Compact dual-band circularly polarised GNSS antenna," Electronics Letters, Vol. 51, No. 20, 1559-1560, 2015.
14. Chang, T. N. and J. M. Lin, "Corner-fed dual-band circularly polarised antenna," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 8, No. 15, 1423-1431, 2014.
15. Zhang, K., C. Liu, X. Liu, H. Guo, and X. Yang, "Miniaturized circularly polarized implantable antenna for ISM-band biomedical devices," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2017, Article ID 9750257, 9 pages, 2017.
16. Li, Y., S. Sun, and F. Yang, "A miniaturized Yagi-Uda-oriented double-ring antenna with circular polarization and directional pattern," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 12, 945-948, 2013.
17. Ramirez, M., J. Parron, J. M. Gonzalez-Arbesu, and J. Gemio, "Concentric annular-ring microstrip antenna with circular polarization," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, 517-519, 2011.
18. Li, Y., B. Tian, J. Xue, and G. Ge, "Compact dual-band circularly polarized antenna design for navigation terminals," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 15, 802-805, 2016.
19. Chen, K., J. Yuan, and X. Luo, "Compact dual-band dual circularly polarised annular-ring patch antenna for BeiDou Navigation Satellite System application," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 11, No. 8, 1079-1085, 2017.
20. Ta, S. X., I. Park, and R. W. Ziolkowski, "Dual-band wide-beam crossed asymmetric dipole antenna for GPS applications," Electronics Letters, Vol. 48, No. 25, 1580-1581, 2012.
21. Saurav, K., D. Sarkar, and K. V. Srivastava, "Dual-band circularly polarized cavity-backed crossed-dipole antennas," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 14, 52-55, 2015.
22. Ta, S. X. and I. Park, "Dual-band operation of a circularly polarized four-arm curl antenna with asymmetric arm length," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2016, Article ID 3531089, 10 pages, 2016.
23. Yue, T., et al., "A compact dual-band antenna enabled by a complementary split-ring resonator-loaded metasurface," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 65, No. 12, 6878-6888, 2017.
24. Li, C., F. Zhang, F. Zhang, and K. Yang, "A dual-band circularly polarized antenna with wide HPBWs for CNSS applications," IEICE Electronics Express, 1-10, 2018.
25. Garg, R., Microstrip Antenna Design HandBook, Artechhouse, USA, 2001.
26. Tanabe, M., "A circular HIS reflector with a symmetric fan-shape patch array applied to a spiral antenna," 2021 IEEE-APS Topical Conference on Antennas and Propagation in Wireless Communications (APWC), 1-3, 2021.