In this paper, a rectangular embedded dual band Electromagnetic Band Gap (EBG) structure at frequencies 2.45/5.8 GHz useful in industrial, scientific, and medical (ISM) band for various wearable applications is proposed. The main intent of this work is to design a dual band EBG to reduce specific absorption rate (SAR). The unit cell which is a part of the EBG structure is formed using a rectangular patch. It has a U shaped rectangular slot and a stretched strip with a rectangular patch at end. EBG unit cell simulation is accomplished by solving eigen mode problem in High Frequency Structure Simulator (HFSS). EBG structure has to be suitably designed and fine tuned for specified band stop property to reduce surface waves. It must improve front to back ratio (FBR). With placing antenna on human body, frequency detuning occurs which is undesirable thus emphasizing the need of improvement in impedance bandwidth. This improvement can be achieved by a suitable design of EBG structure. In this work, the proposed EBG structure is integrated with a dual-band monopole antenna at frequencies 2.45/5.8 GHz for wearable application. The evaluation of antenna performance on a four layer body model is carried out. Simulations are used to demonstrate EBG array structure effectiveness for the reduction of Specific Absorption Rate (SAR) on the four layer body model. Computed SAR values for tissue in 1 g and 10 g are within standard prescribed limits. It is concluded that the proposed dual band antenna is appropriate for wearable applications. Proposed EBG array is fabricated and integrated with a twin E-shaped monopole antenna. The measurement of reflection coefficient, radiation pattern, and transmission coefficient of fabricated EBG array is carried out. The measured and simulated results show good agreement. Antenna performance in the event of bending condition and on-body condition is assessed.
2. Bhattacharjee, S., S. Maity, S. R. B. Chaudhuri, and M. Mitra, "A compact dual-band dual-polarized omnidirectional antenna for on-body applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 67, No. 8, 5044-5053, Aug. 2019, doi: 10.1109/TAP.2019.2891633.
3. Joshi, R., E. F. N. Mohd Hussin, P. J. Soh, Mohd F. Jamlos, H. Lago, A. A. Al-Hadi, and S. K. Podilchak, "Dual-band, dual-sense textile antenna with AMC backing for localization using GPS and WBAN/WLAN," IEEE Access, Vol. 8, 89468-89478, 2020, doi: 10.1109/ACCESS.2020.2993371.
4. El Atrash, M., M. A. Abdalla, and H. M. Elhennawy, "A wearable dual-band low profile high gain low SAR antenna AMC-backed for WBAN applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 67, No. 10, 6378-6388, Oct. 2019, doi: 10.1109/TAP.2019.2923058.
5. Velan, S., S. E. Florence, K. Malathi, S. Aswathy, R. Chinnambeti, S. Ramprabhu, and P. J. Kizhekke, "Dual-band EBG integrated monopole antenna deploying fractal geometry for wearable applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 14, 249-252, 2015.
6. Ashyap, A. Y. I., Z. Z. Abidin, S. H. Dahlan, H. Majid, S. M. Shah, M. R. Kamarudin, and A. Alomainy, "Compact and low-profile textile EBG-based antenna for wearable medical applications," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 16, No. 1, 2550-2553, 2017.
7. Guido, K. and A. Kiourti, "Wireless wearables and implants: A dosimetry review," Bioelectromagnetics, Vol. 41, 3-20, 2020.
8. Ashyap, A. Y. I., S. H. B. Dahlan, Z. Z. Abidin, M. I. Abbasi, K. R. Kamarudin, H. A. Majid, M. H. Dahri, M. H. Jamaluddin, and A. Alomainy, "An overview of electromagnetic band-gap integrated wearable antennas," IEEE Access, Vol. 8, 7641-7658, Jan. 2020, doi: 10.1109/ACCESS.2020.2963997.
9. Zhu, S. and R. Langley, "Dual-band wearable textile antenna on an EBG substrate," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 4, 926-935, Apr. 2009.
10. Yan, S., P. J. Soh, and G. A. E. Vandenbosch, "Low profile dual band textile antenna with artificial magnetic conductor plane," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 61, No. 12, 6487-6490, Dec. 2014.
11. Yan, S., P. J. Soh, and G. A. E. Vandenbosch, "Compact all-textile dualband antenna loaded with metamaterial inspired structure," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 14, 1486-1489, 2014.
12. Qiang, B. and R. J. Langley, "Crumpled integrated AMC antenna," Electronics Letters, Vol. 45, 662-663, 2009, doi: 10.1049/el.2009.0864.
13. Gao, G.-P., B. Hu, S.-F. Wang, and C. Yang, "Wearable circular ring slot antenna with EBG structure for wireless body area network," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 17, No. 3, 434-437, Mar. 2018.
14. Gao, G., B. Hu, S. Wang, and C. Yang, "Wearable planar inverted-F antenna with stable characteristic and low specific absorption rate," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 60, No. 4, 876-882, Apr. 2018.
15. El May, W., I. Sfar, J. M. Ribero, and L. Osman, "Design of low-profile and safe low SAR tri-band textile EBG-based antenna for IoT applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 98, 85-94, 2021.
16. Mantash, M., A. C. Tarot, S. Collardey, and K. Mahdjoubi, "Design methodology for wearable antenna on artificial magnetic conductor using stretch conductive fabric," Electronics Letters, Vol. 52, 95-96, 2016.
17. Afridi, A., S. Ullah, S. Khan, A. Ahmed, A. H. Khalil, and M. A. Tarar, "Design of dual band wearable antenna using metamaterials," Journal of Microwave Power and Electromagnetic Energy, Vol. 47, 126-137, 2013.
18. Mersani, A., O. Lotfi, and J.-M. Ribero, "Design of a textile antenna with artificial magnetic conductor for wearable applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 60, 1343-1349, 2018, 10.1002/mop.31158.
19. Dalal, P. and S. K. Dhull, "Eight-shaped polarization-dependent electromagnetic bandgap structure and its application as polarization reflector," International Journal of Microwave and Wireless Technologies, 1-9, 2021, doi: 10.1017/S1759078721000271.
20. Yang, F. and Y. Rahmat Samii, Electromagnetic Band Gap Structures in Antenna Engineering (The Cambridge RF and Microwave Engineering Series), Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 2008, doi: 10.1017/CBO9780511754531.
21. Keshwani, V. R., P. P. Bhavarthe, and S. S. Rathod, "Eight shape electromagnetic band gap structure for bandwidth improvement of wearable antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 116, 37-49, 2021.
22. Keshwani, V. R. and S. S. Rathod, "Assessment of SAR reduction in wearable textile antenna," 2021 International Conference on Communication Information and Computing Technology (ICCICT), 1-5, 2021, doi: 10.1109/ICCICT50803.2021.9510174.
23. Gabriel, C., "Compilation of the dielectric properties of body tissues at RF and microwave fre-quencies," Report N.AL/OE-TR-1996-0037, Occupational and Environmental Health Directorate, Radiofrequency Radiation Division, Brooks Air Force Base, Texas, USA, 1996.