This paper presents a 3D printed extended hemispherical lens antenna for Body Centric Communications in 60 GHz band. The prototype consists of a 3D printed lens made of Polylactic Acid with three planar broadside patch antenna elements used as a source for the lens. The direction of the main beam antenna is switched by changing the excitation of source elements. The measured overlapping impedance bandwidth of the fabricated antenna is from 57.27 GHz to 60 GHz with reflection coefficient better than -10 dB. The main beam direction switches in broadside direction with 3 dB angular coverage from -29.2° to +30° by changing the radiating elements at 60 GHz. The measured gain is 15.28 dBi at 60 GHz. The beam switching capabilities and high gain with broadside radiation characteristics make the proposed antenna a suitable candidate for off-body links at 60 GHz. The effect of placing the antenna structure over the body is also studied in this paper. The body to off-body link measurement is successfully demonstrated with extended lens over the body and an open-ended waveguide as an external node.
2. Pellegrini, A., et al., "Antennas and propagation for body-centric wireless communications at millimeter-wave frequencies: A review [Wireless Corner]," IEEE Antennas Propag. Mag., Vol. 55, No. 4, 262-287, Aug. 2013.
3. Park, C. and T. S. Rappaport, "Short-range wireless communications for next-generation networks: UWB, 60 GHz millimeter-wave WPAN, and ZigBee," IEEE Wirel. Commun., Vol. 14, No. 4, 70-78, Aug. 2007.
4. Cotton, S. L., W. G. Scanlon, and P. S. Hall, "A simulated study of co-channel inter-BAN interference at 2.45 GHz and 60 GHz," The 3rd European Wireless Technology Conference, 61-64, 2010.
5. Wu, X. Y. and P. S. Hall, "Substrate integrated waveguide Yagi-Uda antenna," Electron. Lett., Vol. 46, No. 23, 1541-1542, Nov. 2010.
6. Wu, X. Y., Y. Nechayev, and P. S. Hall, "Antenna design and channel measurements for on-body communications at 60 GHz," 2011 XXX URSI General Assembly and Scientific Symposium, 1-4, 2011, doi: 10.1109/URSIGASS.2011.6123717.
7. Wu, X. Y., L. Akhoondzadeh-Asl, and P. S. Hall, "Printed Yagi-Uda array for on-body communication channels at 60 GHz," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 53, No. 12, 2728-2730, 2011.
8. Chahat, N., M. Zhadobov, L. L. Coq, and R. Sauleau, "Wearable endfire textile antenna for on-body communications at 60 GHz," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 11, 799-802, 2012.
9. Recioui, A., "Application of a hybrid taguchi-genetic algorithm to the multiobjective design optimization of Yagi-Uda antennas," Wireless Pers. Commun., Vol. 71, No. 2, 1403-1420, Jul. 2013, doi: 10.1007/s11277-012-0882-1.
10. Recioui, A. and Y. Grainat, "3D antenna array design using firefly optimization algorithm," Algerian Journal of Signals and Systems, Vol. 4, No. 2, 61-70, Dec. 2019.
11. Puskely, J., M. Pokorny, J. Lacik, and Z. Raida, "Wearable disc-like antenna for body-centric communications at 61 GHz," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 14, 1490-1493, 2015.
12. Razafimahatratra, S., et al., "On-body propagation characterization with an H-plane Substrate Integrated Waveguide (SIW) horn antenna at 60 GHz," 2015 European Microwave Conference (EuMC), 211-214, 2015.
13. Brizzi, A., A. Pellegrini, L. Zhang, and Y. Hao, "Woodpile EBG-based antennas for body area networks at 60 GHz," 2012 4th International High Speed Intelligent Communication Forum, 1-4, 2012.
14. Chahat, N., M. Zhadobov, L. L. Coq, S. I. Alekseev, and R. Sauleau, "Characterization of the interactions between a 60-GHz antenna and the human body in an off-body scenario," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 12, 5958-5965, Dec. 2012.
15. Chahat, N., M. Zhadobov, and R. Sauleau, "Wearable textile patch antenna for BAN At 60 GHz," 2013 7th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), 217-219, 2013.
16. Ur-Rehman, M., N. A. Malik, X. Yang, Q. H. Abbasi, Z. Zhang, and N. Zhao, "A low profile antenna for millimeter-wave body-centric applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 65, No. 12, 6329-6337, Dec. 2017.
17. Bisognin, A., et al., "3D printed plastic 60 GHz lens: Enabling innovative millimeter wave antenna solution and system," 2014 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium (IMS2014), 1-4, 2014.
18. Costa, J. R., E. B. Lima, and C. A. Fernandes, "Compact beam-steerable lens antenna for 60-GHz wireless communications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, No. 10, 2926-2933, Oct. 2009.
19. Artemenko, A., A. Maltsev, R. Maslennikov, A. Sevastyanov, and V. Ssorin, "Beam steerable quartz integrated lens antenna for 60 GHz frequency band," Proceedings of the 5th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EUCAP), 758-762, 2011.
20. Saleem, M. K., M. A. S. Alkanhal, A. F. Sheta, M. Abdel-Rahman, and M. Himdi, "Integrated lens antenna array with full azimuth plane beam scanning capability at 60 GHz," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 59, No. 1, 116-120, Jan. 2017.
21. Karttunen, A., J. Ala-Laurinaho, R. Sauleau, and A. V. Räisänen, "A study of extended hemispherical lenses for a high-gain beam-steering antenna," Proceedings of the Fourth European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, 1-5, 2010.
22. Filipovic, D. F., G. P. Gauthier, S. Raman, and G. M. Rebeiz, "Off-axis properties of silicon and quartz dielectric lens antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 45, No. 5, 760-766, May 1997.
23. Osman, M. A. R., M. K. A. Rahim, N. A. Samsuri, H. A. M. Salim, and M. F. Ali, "Embroidered fully textile wearable antenna for medical monitoring applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 117, 321-337, 2011.
24. Soh, P. J., S. J. Boyes, G. Vandenbosch, Y. Huang, and S. L. Ooi, "On-body characterization of dual-band all-textile PIFA," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 129, 517-539, 2012.
25. Jais, M. I., M. F. B. Jamlos, M. Jusoh, T. Sabapathy, M. R. Kamarudin, R. B. Ahmad, A. A. Al-Hadi, E. I. B. Azmi, P. J. Soh, G. Vandenbosch, and N. L. Ishak, "A novel 2.45 GHz switchable beam textile antenna (Sbta) for outdoor wireless body area network (WBAN) applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 138, 613-627, 2013.
26. Godi, G., R. Sauleau, and D. Thouroude, "Performance of reduced size substrate lens antennas for Millimeter-wave communications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 53, No. 4, 1278-1286, Apr. 2005.
27. Filipovic, D. F., S. S. Gearhart, and G. M. Rebeiz, "Double-slot antennas on extended hemispherical and elliptical silicon dielectric lenses," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 41, No. 10, 1738-1749, Oct. 1993.
28. Felício, J. M., C. A. Fernandes, and J. R. Costa, "Complex permittivity and anisotropy measurement of 3D-printed PLA at microwaves and millimeter-waves," 2016 22nd International Conference on Applied Electromagnetics and Communications (ICECOM), 1-6, 2016.