A compact substrate integrated folded waveguide (SIFW) H-plane horn antenna array with simultaneous omnidirectional and directional radiation characteristics for potential utilization to high-speed wireless communication is presented in this article. The realization of the proposed design has been accomplished by placing the apertures of nine exponentially tapered SIFW H-plane horns towards the circumference of a cylindrical substrate with an angular separation of 40˚ between the horns. Every horn flaring includes a column of three slots. Centre probe feed technique has been used to excite the antenna. The radiation of the field by the horn apertures and through the slots of the horns flaring, respectively, results in an omnidirectional and a directional radiation pattern at 13.8 GHz and 18.42 GHz, with the gain of 7 dBi and 10.92 dBi. The proposed antenna has performed well and is in good agreement between simulation and measurement. The dimension of the antenna is 37.3 mm (diameter) × 1 mm (height) (1.710×0.0460 at 13.8 GHz and 2.29λ0×0.061λ0 at 18.42 GHz). SIFW technology makes low profile antenna. The proposed design can be a promising option to be used as a low-profile antenna for high-speed wireless communication.
2. Rappaport, T. S., Wireless Communications: Principles and Practice, Prentice-Hall, New Jersey, NJ, 2007.
3. Jung, J., W. Choi, and J. Choi, "A small wideband microstrip-fed monopole antenna," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Component Letters, Vol. 15, 703-705, 2005.
4. Tseng, C.-F., C.-L. Huang, and C.-H. Hsu, "Microstrip fed monopole antenna with a shorted parasitic element for wideband application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 7, 115-125, 2009.
5. Luk, K. M. and S. H. Wong, "A printed high-gain monopole antenna for indoor wireless LANs," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 41, 177-180, 2004.
6. Xu, H. X., G. M. Wang, M. Q. Qi, and Z. M. Xu, "A metamaterial antenna with frequency-scanning omnidirectional radiation patterns," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 101, 173501-1-5, 2012.
7. Xu, H.-X., G.-M. Wang, Y.-Y. Lv, M.-Q. Qi, X. Gao, and S. Ge, "Multifrequency monopole antennas by loading metamaterial transmission lines with dual-shunt branch circuit," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 137, 703-725, 2013.
8. Xu, H.-X., G.-M. Wang, and M.-Q. Qi, "A miniaturized triple-band metamaterial antenna with radiation pattern selectivity and polarization diversity," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 137, 275-292, 2013.
9. Quan, X. L., R. L. Li, Y. H. Cui, and M. M. Tentzeris, "Analysis and design of a compact dual band directional antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 547-550, 2012.
10. Nasimuddin and Z. N. Chen, "Wideband directional microstrip antennas fed by CPW loop combination," IEEE International Conferenceon Ultra-Wideband, 700-702, Singapore, 2007.
11. Majid, H. A., M. K. A. Rahim, M. R. Hamid, and M. F. Ismail, "Frequency reconfigurable microstrip patch-slot antenna with directional radiation pattern," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 144, 319-328, 2014.
12. Xiong, H. and J. S. Hong, "A Wideband endfire directional microstrip antenna with metamaterials," IETE Journal of Research, Vol. 59, 150-155, 2014.
13. Balani, C. A., Antenna Theory: Analysis & Design, Wiley, New York, NY, 2005.
14. Xu, F. and K. Wu, "Guided-wave and leakage characteristics of substrate integrated waveguide," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 53, 66-73, 2005.
15. Wang, H., D. G. Fang, B. Zhang, and W. Q. Che, "Dielectric loaded substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) H-plane horn antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, 640-647, 2010.
16. Che, W., B. Fu, P. Yao, and Y. L. Chao, "Substrate integrated waveguide horn antenna with dielectric lens," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 49, 168-170, 2007.
17. Gong, L., K. Y. Chan, and R. Ramer, "Substrate integrated waveguide H-plane horn antenna with improved front-to-back ratio and reduced side lobe level," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 15, 1835-1838, 2016.
18. Tang, Y., Z. Wang, L. Xia, and P. Chen, "A novel high gain K-band H-plane SIW horn antenna using dielectric loading," Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference, 372-374, Sendai, Japan, 2014.
19. Luo, Y. and J. Bornemann, "Substrate integrated waveguide horn antenna on thin substrate with back-lobe suppression and its application to arrays," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 2622-2625, 2017.
20. Agrawal, T. and S. Srivastava, "Ku band pattern reconfigurable substrate integrated waveguide leaky wave horn antenna," Int. J. of Electron. and Commun. (AEÜ), Vol. 87, 70-75, 2018.
21. Park, W. B., J. M. Lee, Y. M. Park, and K. C. Hwang, "A 18-40 GHz substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) H-plane horn antenna," IEEE Transactionson Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 66, 6322-6327, 2018.
22. Choudhury, S., A. Mohan, P. K. Mishra, and D. Guha, "Reconfigurable dual-fed horn with pattern switchability realized by SIW technology," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 68, 4072-4076, 2020.
23. Sun, L., B. Sun, J. Yuan, W. Tang, and H. Wu, "Low profile, quasi omnidirectional, substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) multi-horn antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 15, 818-821, 2015.
24. Guo, J. L., C. Li, Y. H. Yang, and B. H. Sun, "Low-profile omnidirectional circularly polarized antenna based on substrate integrated waveguide technology," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 28, 1-8, 2018.
25. Bhowmik, W. and S. Srivastava, "Design of compact omnidirectional substrate integrated waveguide exponentially tapered multiple H-plane horn antenna," Int. J. of Electron. and Commun. (AEÜ), Vol. 108, 29-35, 2019.
26. Khalichi, B., S. Nikmehr, and A. Pourziad, "Development of novel wideband H-plane horn antennas by employing asymmetrical slots based on SIW technology," Int. J. of Electron. and Commun. (AEÜ), Vol. 69, 1374-1380, 2015.
27. Bhowmik, W., S. Srivastava, and L. Prasad, "Design of multiple beam forming antenna system using substrate integrated folded waveguide (SIFW) technology," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 60, 15-34, 2014.
28. Grigoropoulos, N., B. S. Izquierdo, and P. R. Young, "Substrate integrated folded waveguides (SIFW) and filters," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Component Letters, Vol. 15, 829-831, 2005.
29. Zhai, G. H., W. Hong, K. Wu, J. X. Chen, P. Chen, J. Wei, and H. J. Tang, "Folded half mode substrate integrated waveguide 3 dB coupler," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Component Letters, Vol. 18, 512-514, 2008.
30. Grigoropoulos, N. and P. R. Young, "Compact folded waveguides," 34th European Microwave Conference, 973-9176, Amsterdam, Netherlands, 2004.
31. Kumari, S., V. R. Gupta, and S. Srivastava, "A novel feeding technique for folded substrate integrated waveguide," Int. J. of Electron. and Commun. (AEÜ), Vol. 138, 1-6, 2021.
32. Bhowmik, W., S. Srivastava, and L. Prasad, "Design of a low cost 4 × 4 butler matrix fed antenna array partially loaded with substrate integrated waveguide (SIW)," International Journal of Microwave and Optical Technology, Vol. 9, 227-236, 2014.
33. Djerafi, T., A. Doghri, and K. Wu, Handbook of Antenna Technologies, Springer, Singapore, 2015.