Investigations on radiation characteristics of multilayer antenna having embedment of left-handed material are presented. The proposed engineered comb-shaped structure exhibits both negative permittivity and permeability. The inset-fed patch antenna matched at 50 Ω incorporates a homogeneous array of multilayer comb-shaped resonators. The array demonstrates a major impact on antenna parameters such as resonance, gain, radiation pattern, voltage standing wave ratio, and bandwidth. The novelty in the presented design is that by merely modifying the physical parameters of the negative refractive index resonator, the antenna radiation property can be altered. An artificially realized left-handed stacked material possesses strong inductive and capacitive mutual-coupling. The variations in stacked conductive inclusion illustrate the considerable change in antenna resonance. The antenna resonates at 1.57 GHz, 2.48 GHz, and 3.4 GHz with a bandwidth of around 20.64%, 7.35%, and 4.40% respectively. The proposed antenna electrical size is 0.48λ x 0.56λ at a lower frequency. The antenna exhibits the gain of 3.8 dBi, 6.15 dBi, 4.54 dBi at 1.57 GHz, 2.48 GHz, and 3.4 GHz respectively. The proposed planar stacked negative refractive index-inspired patch antenna model can be utilized for L1 and S-band satellite and maritime operations.
2. Pendry, J. B. and D. R. Smith, "Reversing light with negative refraction," Physics Today, Vol. 57, 37-43, 2004.
3. Ramakrishna, S. A., "Physics of negative refractive index materials," Reports on Progress in Physics, Vol. 68, No. 2, 449, 2005.
4. Krowne, C. M. and Y. Zhang, Physics of Negative Refraction and Negative Index Materials, Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg, 2007.
5. Rajkumar, R. and U. K. Kommuri, "A triangular complementary split ring resonator based compact metamaterial antenna for multiband operation," Wireless Personal Communications, Vol. 101, No. 2, 1075-1089, 2018.
6. Daniel, R. S., R. Pandeeswari, and S. Raghavan, "A compact metamaterial loaded monopole antenna with offset-fed microstrip line for wireless applications," AEU - International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 83, 88-94, 2018.
7. Chaturvedi, D. and S. Raghavan, "A compact metamaterial-inspired antenna for WBAN application," Wireless Personal Communications, Vol. 105, No. 4, 1449-1460, 2019.
8. Sahoo, R. and D. Vakula, "Compact metamaterial inspired conformal dual-band antenna loaded with meander lines and fractal shaped inductor for Wi-Fi and WiMAX applications," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 13, No. 13, 2349-2359, 2019.
9. Zhao, M., S. Zhu, J. Chen, X. Chen, and A. Zhang, "Broadband metamaterial aperture antenna for coincidence imaging in terahertz band," IEEE Access, Vol. 8, 121311-121318, 2020.
10. Ma, Q., C. B. Shi, T. Y. Chen, M. Q. Qi, Y. B. Li, and T. J. Cui, "Broadband metamaterial lens antennas with special properties by controlling both refractive-index distribution and feed directivity," Journal of Optics, Vol. 20, No. 4, 045101, 2018.
11. Ren, J., W. Jiang, and S. Gong, "Low RCS and broadband metamaterial-based low-profile antenna using PCM," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 12, No. 11, 1793-1798, 2018.
12. Upadhyaya, T. K., S. P. Kosta, R. Jyoti, and M. Palandoken, "Negative refractive index material-inspired 90-deg electrically tilted ultra wideband resonator," Optical Engineering, Vol. 53, No. 10, 107104, 2014.
13. Barati, H., M. H. Fakheri, and A. Abdolali, "Experimental demonstration of metamaterial-assisted antenna beam deflection through folded transformation optics," Journal of Optics, Vol. 20, No. 8, 085101, 2018.
14. Sehrai, D. A., M. Asif, W. A. Shah, J. Khan, I. Ullah, M. Ibrar, S. Jan, M. Alibakhshikenari, F. Falcone, and E. Limiti, "Metasurface-based wideband MIMO antenna for 5G millimeter-wave systems," IEEE Access, 2021.
15. Mark, R., N. Rajak, K. Mandal, and S. Das, "Metamaterial based superstrate towards the isolation and gain enhancement of MIMO antenna for WLAN application," AEU - International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 100, 144-152, 2019.
16. Shabbir, T., R. Saleem, S. S. Al-Bawri, M. F. Shafique, and M. T. Islam, "Eight-port metamaterial loaded UWB-MIMO antenna system for 3D system-in-package applications," IEEE Access, Vol. 8, 106982-106992, 2020.
17. Zhu, X., X. Yang, Q. Song, and B. Lui, "Compact UWB-MIMO antenna with metamaterial FSS decoupling structure," EURASIP Journal on Wireless Communications and Networking, Vol. 2017, No. 1, 1-6, 2017.
18. Desai, A. and T. Upadhyaya, "Transparent dual band antenna with μ-negative material loading for smart devices," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 60, No. 11, 2805-2811, 2018.
19. Liu, D., J. Niu, H. Zhu, and J. Zhang, "Ultra-high-frequency microwave response from flexible transparent Au electromagnetic metamaterial nanopatterned antenna," Nanotechnology, Vol. 29, No. 6, 06LT01, 2018.
20. Upadhyaya, T. K., S. P. Kosta, R. Jyoti, and M. Palandöken, "Novel stacked μ-negative material-loaded antenna for satellite applications," International Journal of Microwave and Wireless Technologies, Vol. 8, No. 2, 229-235, 2016.
21. Borazjani, O., M. Naser-Moghadasi, J. Rashed-Mohassel, and R. Sadeghzadeh, "Design and fabrication of a new high gain multilayer negative refractive index metamaterial antenna for X-band applications," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 30, No. 9, e22284, 2020.
22. Patel, U. and T. K. Upadhyaya, "Design and analysis of compact μ-negative material loaded wideband electrically compact antenna for WLAN/WiMAX applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 79, 11-22, 2019.
23. Xavier, G. V. R., A. J. R. Serres, E. G. da Costa, A. C. de Oliveira, L. A. M. M. Nobrega, and V. C. de Souza, "Design and application of a metamaterial superstrate on a bio-inspired antenna for partial discharge detection through dielectric windows," Sensors, Vol. 19, No. 19, 4255, 2019.
24. Ojo, R., M. F. Jamlos, P. J. Soh, M. A. Jamlos, N. Bahari, Y. S. Lee, S. S. Al-Bawri, M. S. Abdul Karim, and K. A. Khairi, "A triangular MIMO array antenna with a double negative metamaterial superstrate to enhance bandwidth and gain," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 30, No. 8, e22320, 2020.
25. Cheng, C., W. Chen, Y. Lu, F. Ruan, and G. Li, "Large near-field enhancement in terahertz antennas by using hyperbolic Metamaterials with hole arrays," Applied Sciences, Vol. 9, No. 12, 2524, 2019.
26. Tang, M. C., Y. Chen, T. Shi, and R. W. Ziolkowski, "Bandwidth-enhanced, compact, near-field resonant parasitic filtennas with sharp out-of-band suppression," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 17, No. 8, 1483-1487, 2018.
27. Wan, J., O. Rybin, and S. Shulga, "Far field focusing for a microwave patch antenna with composite substrate," Results in Physics, Vol. 8, 971-976, 2018.
28. Baghel, A. K., S. S. Kulkarni, and S. K. Nayak, "Far-field wireless power transfer using GRIN lens metamaterial at GHz frequency," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 29, No. 6, 424-426, 2019.
29. Lum, K. M., C. Laohapensaeng, and C. Free, "A novel traveling-wave feed technique for circularly polarized planar antennas," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 15, No. 3, 180-182, 2005.
30. Dorsey, W. M. and A. I. Zaghloul, "Dual-band, dual-circularly polarised antenna element," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 7, No. 4, 283-290, 2013.
31. Liu, D. and B. Gaucher, "A new multiband antenna for WLAN/cellular applications," IEEE 60th Vehicular Technology Conference, 2004, VTC2004-Fall, Vol. 1, 243-246, IEEE, September 2004.
32. Long, J. and D. F. Sievenpiper, "A compact broadband dual-polarized patch antenna for satellite communication/navigation applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 14, 273-276, 2014.