A pattern reconfigurable microstrip patch antenna with two parallel parasitic patches placed close to both sides of a rectangular driven patch is investigated and presented in this article. Four switchable shorting posts are used to enable the parasitic elements to act either as a reflector or director for beam reconfiguration, based on the operating state of four associated PIN diode switches. To avoid large change in the dimension of both parasitic patch and ground plane, and minimize its effect on beam steerability and return loss, two PIN diodes are placed on the top face and the other two on the slots etched on the ground plane. Radiation pattern of the proposed antenna can be reconfigured into four distinct directions in the H-plane with radiation maximum at +40˚, 0˚, -40˚ and ±45˚. With overall compact dimension of (35×55) mm2 and acceptable return loss for all reconfigurable modes around 6.2 GHz frequency, the proposed antenna is a potential candidate for Wi-Fi 6E application. The measured peak gain varies between 3.9 dBi and 5.2 dBi with an average of 4.6 dBi for all beam tilt angles. Consistency between the simulated and experimental results validates the design theory and its promising application.
2. Kang, W. S., J. A. Park, and Y. J. Yoon, "Simple reconfigurable antenna with radiation pattern," Electronics Letters, Vol. 44, 182-183, 2008.
3. Besoli, A. G. and F. D. Flaviis, "A multifunctional reconfigurable pixeled antenna using MEMS technology on printed circuit board," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, 4413-4424, 2011.
4. Ben Trad, I., J. M. Floc'h, H. Rmili, and F. Choubani, "A planar reconfigurable radiation pattern dipole antenna with reflectors and directors for wireless communication applications," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2014, 1-10, 2014.
5. Sanyal, S., Q. Alfred, and T. Chakravarty, "A novel beam-switching algorithm for programmable phased array antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 60, 187-196, 2006.
6. Exposito-Dominguez, G., J.-M. F. Gonzalez, P. P. de La Torre, and M. Sierra-Castaner, "Dual circular polarized steering antenna for satellite communications in X band," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 122, 61-76, 2012.
7. Yuan, T., N. Yuan, J. L.-W. Li, and M.-S. Leong, "Design and analysis of phased antenna array with low sidelobe by fast algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 87, 131-147, 2008.
8. Mubasher, F., S. H. Wang, X. D. Chen, and Z. Ying, "Study of reconfigurable antennas for MIMO systems," Proceedings of the 2010 International Workshop on Antenna Technology (iWAT'10), 1-4, IEEE, 2010.
9. Won Jung, C., M. J. Lee, G. P. Li, and F. D. Flaviis, "Reconfigurable scan-beam single-arm spiral antenna integrated with RF-MEMS switches," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, 455-463, 2006.
10. Sarrazin, J., Y. Mahé, S. Avrillon, and S. Toutain, "Pattern reconfigurable cubic antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, 310-317, 2009.
11. Nikolaou, S., R. Bairavasubramanian, C. Lugo, I. Carrasquillo, D. C. Thompson, G. E. Ponchak, J. Papapolymerou, and M. M. Tentzeris, "Pattern and frequency reconfigurable annular slot antenna using PIN diodes," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, 439-448, 2006.
12. Huang, J. and A. C. Densmore, "Microstrip Yagi array antenna for mobile satellite vehicle application," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 39, 1024-1030, 1991.
13. Yang, X., B. Wang, S. Yeung, Q. Xue, and K. Man, "Circularly polarized reconfigurable crossed-Yagi patch antenna," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 53, 65-80, 2011.
14. Zhang, S., G. Huff, J. Feng, and J. Bernhard, "A pattern reconfigurable microstrip parasitic array," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, 2773-2776, 2004.
15. Shi, Z., R. Zheng, J. Ding, and C. Guo, "A novel pattern-reconfigurable antenna using switched printed elements," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 1100-1103, 2012.
16. Yang, X. S., B. Z. Wang, W. Wu, and S. Xiao, "Yagi patch antenna with dual-band and pattern reconfigurable characteristics," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 6, 168-171, 2007.
17. Deng, Z., J. Gan, H.Wei, H. Gong, and X. Guo, "Ka-band radiation pattern reconfigurable antenna based on microstrip MEMS switches," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 59, 93-99, 2016.
18. Koley, S., L. Murmu, and B. Pal, "A pattern reconfigurable antenna for WLAN and WiMAX systems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 66, 183-190, 2016.
19. Khan, M. S., A. Iftikhar, A. D. Capobianco, R. M. Shubair, and B. Ijaz, "Pattern and frequency reconfiguration of patch antenna using PIN diodes," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 59, 2180-2185, 2017.
20. Li, Z., H. Mopidevi, O. Kaynar, and B. A. Cetiner, "Beam-steering antenna based on parasitic layer," Electronics Letters, Vol. 48, 59-60, 2012.
21. Sabapathy, T., M. F. B. Jamlos, R. B. Ahmad, M. Jusoh, M. I. Jais, and M. R. Kamarudin, "Electronically reconfigurable beam steering antenna using embedded RF PIN based parasitic arrays (ERPPA)," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 140, 241-261, 2013.
22. Preston, S. L., D. V. Thiel, J. W. Lu, S. G. O'Keefe, and T. S. Bird, "Electronic beam steering using switched parasitic patch elements," Electronics Letters, Vol. 33, 7-8, 1997.
23. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, John Wiley & Sons, 2015.
24. Allayioti, M., J. R. Kelly, and R. Mittra, "Beam and polarization reconfigurable microstrip antenna based on parasitics," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 60, No. 6, 1460-1464, 2018.