This paper presents a dual-band polarization dependent phase gradient metasurface (PGMS) lens based on phase compesation method. The proposed metasurface (MTS) consists of a multi-layered unitcell with elliptical structures encircled by a square loop. Owing to the elliptical shape, the unitcell produces an independent phase control for different polarizations of incident wave at two operating frequencies. The present work is aimed to design a dual band gain enhancement MTS lens antenna in the broadside direction at 10 GHz and 12 GHz. The proposed MTS is designed by one-to-one spatial phase mapping with major and minor axes of the elliptical unitcell at 10 and 12 GHz for x- and y-polarized incident waves, respectively. The performance of the MTS is validated by placing two linearly polarized patch antennas operating at 10 GHz and 12 GHz at the focal distance. The simulation and measured results show a gain enhancement of 10 dB in the frequency range of [9.5-10.1] GHz and [11.6-12.1] GHz for x- and y-polarized waves, respectively.
2. Hodges, R. E., N. Chahat, D. J. Hoppe, and J. D. Vacchione, "A deployable high-gain antenna bound for Mars: Developing a new folded-panel reflectarray for the first CubeSat mission to Mars," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 59, No. 2, 39-49, 2017.
3. Babuscia, A., T. Choi, J. Sauder, A. Chandra, and J. Thangavelautham, "Inflatable antenna for CubeSats: Development of the X-band prototype," 2016 IEEE Aerospace Conference, 1-11, IEEE, 2016.
4. Hodges, R. E., D. J. Hoppe, M. J. Radway, and N. E. Chahat, "Novel deployable reflectarray antennas for CubeSat communications," 2015 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium, 1-4, IEEE, 2015.
5. Sauder, J. F., M. Arya, N. Chahat, E. Thiel, S. Dunphy, M. Shi, G. Agnes, and T. Cwik, "Deployment mechanisms for high packing efficiency One-Meter Reflectarray Antenna (OMERA),", AIAA Scitech 2019 Forum, 0755, 2019.
6. Minatti, G., F. Caminita, E. Martini, M. Sabbadini, and S. Maci, "Synthesis of modulated-metasurface antennas with amplitude, phase, and polarization control," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 64, No. 9, 3907-3919, 2016.
7. Patel, A. M. and A. Grbic, "Modeling and analysis of printed-circuit tensor impedance surfaces," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 61, No. 1, 211-220, 2012.
8. Szabo, Z., G.-H. Park, R. Hedge, and E.-P. Li, "A unique extraction of metamaterial parameters based on Kramers-Kronig relationship," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 58, No. 10, 2646-2653, 2010.
9. Cai, T., G.-M. Wang, X.-F. Zhang, J.-G. Liang, Y.-Q. Zhuang, D. Liu, and H.-X. Xu, "Ultra-thin polarization beam splitter using 2-D transmissive phase gradient metasurface," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 63, No. 12, 5629-5636, 2015.
10. Lee, Y., S.-J. Kim, H. Park, and B. Lee, "Metamaterials and metasurfaces for sensor applications," Sensors, Vol. 17, No. 8, 1726, 2017.
11. Joy, V., A. Dileep, P. Abhilash, R. U. Nair, and H. Singh, "Metasurfaces for stealth applications: A comprehensive review," Journal of Electronic Materials, 1-20, 2021.
12. Afzal, M. U. and K. P. Esselle, "Steering the beam of medium-to-high gain antennas using near-field phase transformation," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 65, No. 4, 1680-1690, 2017.
13. Ding, F., A. Pors, and S. I. Bozhevolnyi, "Gradient metasurfaces: A review of fundamentals and applications," Reports on Progress in Physics, Vol. 81, No. 2, 026401, 2017.
14. Erfani, E., M. Niroo-Jazi, and S. Tatu, "A high-gain broadband gradient refractive index metasurface lens antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 64, No. 5, 1968-1973, 2016.
15. Junyao, W., F. Junpeng, S. Hao, L. Chang, and C. Yongzhi, "Efficiency-tunable terahertz focusing lens based on graphene metasurface," Opto-Electronic Engineering, Vol. 48, No. 4, 200319, 2021.
16. He, B., J. Fan, Y. Cheng, F. Chen, H. Luo, and R. Gong, "Thermally tunable terahertz vortex beam generator based on an InSb metasurface," JOSA B, Vol. 38, No. 5, 1518-1524, 2021.
17. Li, H., G. Wang, H.-X. Xu, T. Cai, and J. Liang, "X-band phase-gradient metasurface for high-gain lens antenna application," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 63, No. 11, 5144-5149, 2015.
18. Pang, Y., Y. Li, B. Qu, M. Yan, J.Wang, S. Qu, and Z. Xu, "Wideband RCS reduction metasurface with a transmission window," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 68, No. 10, 7079-7087, 2020.
19. Chen, H.-T., A. J. Taylor, and N. Yu, "A review of metasurfaces: physics and applications," Reports on Progress in Physics, Vol. 79, No. 7, 076401, 2016.
20. Liang, J.-J., G.-L. Huang, J.-N. Zhao, Z.-J. Gao, and T. Yuan, "Wideband phase-gradient metasurface antenna with focused beams," IEEE Access, Vol. 7, 20 767-20 772, 2019.
21. Pfeiffer, C. and A. Grbic, "Cascaded metasurfaces for complete phase and polarization control," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 102, No. 23, 231116, 2013.
22. Nayeri, P., F. Yang, and A. Z. Elsherbeni, Reflectarray Antennas: Theory, Designs, and Applications, 2018.
23. Yang, F., Y. Kim, J. Huang, and A. Elsherbeni, "A single-layer tri-band reflectarray antenna design," 2007 IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 5307-5310, IEEE, 2007.
24. Ren, Y., Y. Lu, T. Zang, Y. Wang, Y. Dai, and P. Wang, "Multi-mode resonance properties of two-dimensional metal-dielectric-metal fishnet metasurface at visible wavelengths," Optics Express, Vol. 25, No. 23, 28 417-28 426, 2017.
25. Ghaderi, B., V. Nayyeri, M. Soleimani, and O. M. Ramahi, "Pixelated metasurface for dual-band and multi-polarization electromagnetic energy harvesting," Scientific Reports, Vol. 8, No. 1, 1-12, 2018.
26. Ma, H. F., G. Z. Wang, G. S. Kong, and T. J. Cui, "Independent controls of differently-polarized reflcted waves by anisotropic metasurfaces," Scientific Reports, Vol. 5, 9605, 2015.
27. Jia, S. L., X. Wan, D. Bao, Y. J. Zhao, and T. J. Cui, "Independent controls of orthogonally polarized transmitted waves using a Huygens metasurface," Laser & Photonics Reviews, Vol. 9, No. 5, 545-553, 2015.
28. Fan, J. and Y. Cheng, "Broadband high-efficiency cross-polarization conversion and multifunctional wavefront manipulation based on chiral structure metasurface for terahertz wave," Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics, Vol. 53, No. 2, 025109, 2019.
29. Fan, J., Y. Cheng, and B. He, "High-efficiency ultrathin terahertz geometric metasurface for full-space wavefront manipulation at two frequencies," Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics, Vol. 54, No. 11, 115101, 2021.
30. Zainud-Deen, S., S. Gaber, H. Malhat, and K. Awadalla, "Single feed dual-polarization dual-band transmitarray for satellite applications," 2013 30th National Radio Science Conference (NRSC), 27-34, IEEE, 2013.
31. Li, H.-P., G.-M. Wang, X.-J. Gao, J.-G. Liang, and H.-S. Hou, "An X/Ku-band focusing anisotropic metasurface for low cross-polarization lens antenna application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 159, 79-91, 2017.
32. Cai, T., G.-M. Wang, J.-G. Liang, Y.-Q. Zhuang, and T.-J. Li, "High-performance transmissive meta-surface for C-/X-band lens antenna application," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 65, No. 7, 3598-3606, 2017.
33. Kumar, P. V. and B. Ghosh, "A dual-band multi-layer metasurface lens," 2018 IEEE Indian Conference on Antennas and Propogation (InCAP), 1-4, IEEE, 2018.
34. Abdelrahman, A. H., F. Yang, A. Z. Elsherbeni, and P. Nayeri, "Analysis and design of transmitarray antennas," Synthesis Lectures on Antennas, Vol. 6, No. 1, 1-175, 2017.