Unconditionally stable approximate Crank-Nicolson (CN) perfectly matched layer (PML) implementation is proposed to treat open region problems for a bandpass rotational symmetric structure. To be more specific, this implementation is based upon the CN Douglas-Gunn (DG) procedure and the complex envelope (CE) method in body of revolution (BOR) finite-difference time-domain (FDTD) lattice. The proposed scheme inherits the advantages of the CNDG procedure, CE method, and BOR-FDTD algorithm which can improve the efficiency, enhance the absorption, and maintain the calculation accuracy. The effectiveness which includes accuracy, efficiency, occupied resources, and absorption is illustrated through a numerical example. The numerical results reveal that the proposed scheme provides considerable accuracy, creditable absorption and outstanding efficiency. Meanwhile, it can also verify that the proposed scheme is stable without the limitation of Courant-Friedrich- Levy (CFL) condition.
2. Chen, Y., R. Mittra, and P. Harms, "Finite-difference time-domain algorithm for solving Maxwell’s equations in rotationally symmetric geometries," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 44, No. 6, 832-839, 1996.
3. Ramadan, O., "Complex envelope Crank Nicolson PML algorithm for band-limited electromagnetic applications," Electron. Lett., Vol. 42, No. 23, 2006.
4. Pursel, J. D. and P. M. Goggans, "A finite-difference time-domain method for solving electromagnetic problems with bandpass-limited sources," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 47, No. 1, 9-15, 1999.
5. Taflove, A. and S. C. Hagness, Computational Electrodynamics: The Finite-Difference Time Domain Method, 3rd Ed., Artech House, Norwood, MA, 2005.
6. Namiki, T., "3-D ADI-FDTD method unconditionally stable time-domain algorithm for solving full vector Maxwell’s equations," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 48, No. 10, 1743-1748, 2000.
7. Shibayama, J., M. Muraki, J. Yamauchi, and H. Nakano, "Efficient implicit FDTD algorithm based on locally one-dimensional scheme," Electron. Lett., Vol. 41, No. 19, 1046-1047, 2005.
8. Fu, W. and E. L. Tan, "Development of split-step FDTD method with higher order spatial accuracy," Electron. Lett., Vol. 40, No. 20, 1252-1254, 2004.
9. Ogurtsov, S. and G. Pan, "An updated review of general dispersion relation for conditionally and unconditionally stable FDTD algorithms," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 8, 2572-2583, 2008.
10. Ju, S., K.-Y. Jung, and H. Kim, "Investigation on the characteristics of the envelope FDTD based on the alternating direction implicit scheme," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 13, No. 9, 414-416, 2003.
11. Sun, G. and C. W. Trueman, "Approximate Crank-Nicolson scheme for the 2-D finite-difference time-domain method for TEz waves," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 52, No. 11, 2963-2972, 2004.
12. Sun, G. and C. W. Trueman, "Unconditionally stable Crank-Nicolson scheme for solving two-dimensional Maxwell’s equations," Electron. Lett., Vol. 39, No. 7, 595-597, 2003.
13. Shi, X. Y. and X. Y. Jiang, "Implementation of the Crank-Nicolson Douglas-Gunn finite difference time domain with complex frequency-shifted perfectly matched layer for modeling unbounded isotropic dispersive media in two dimensions," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 62, No. 3, 1103-1111, 2020.
14. Sun, G. and C. W. Trueman, "Unconditionally-stable FDTD method based on Crank-Nicolson scheme for solving three-dimensional Maxwell equations," Electron. Lett., Vol. 40, No. 10, 589-590, 2004.
15. Sun, G. and C. W. Trueman, "Efficient implementations of the Crank-Nicolson scheme for the finite-difference time-domain method," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 54, No. 5, 2275-2284, 2006.
16. Tan, E. L., "Efficient algorithms for Crank-Nicolson-based finite-difference time-domain methods," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 56, No. 2, 408-413, 2008.
17. Jiang, H. L., et al., "Computationally efficient CN-PML for EM simulations," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 67, No. 12, 4646-4655, 2019.
18. Wu, P., Y. Xie, H. Jiang, and T. Natsuki, "Performance enhanced Crank-Nicolson boundary conditions for EM problems," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 69, No. 3, 1513-1527, 2021.
19. Jiang, H. L., J. F. Zhang, W. X. Jiang, and T. J. Cui, "Unconditionally stable CN-PML algorithm for frequency-dispersive left-handed materials," IEEE Ante. Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 16, 2006-2009, 2017.
20. Xu, K., Z. Fan, D.-Z. Ding, and R.-S. Chen, "GPU accelerated unconditionally stable Crank-GPU accelerated unconditionally stable Crank," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 102, 381-395, 2010.
21. Rouf, H. K., "Improvement of computational performance of implicit finite difference time domain method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 43, 1-8, 2015.
22. Long, S.-Y., W.-J. Chen, Q.-W. Liang, and M. Zhao, "A general ADE-FDTD with Crank-Nicolson scheme for the simulation of dispersive structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 86, 1-6, 2019.
23. Fajardo, J. E., J. Galv´an, F. Vericat, C. M. Carlevaro, and R. M. Irastorza, "“Phaseless microwave imaging of dielectric cylinders: An artificial neural networks-based approach," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 166, 95-105, 2019.
24. Wu, P. Y., et al., "Unconditionally stable higher order perfectly matched layer applied to terminate anisotropic magnetized plasma," Inter. J. RF Micro. Comp.-Aided Engi., Vol. 33, No. 1, e22011, 2020.
25. Li, J. X. and P. Y. Wu, "Efficient PML implementation based on the unconditionally stable CN-FDTD algorithm for anisotropic magnetized plasma," Optik, Vol. 171, 468-475, 2018.
26. Chen, H. L. and B. Chen, "Anisotropic-medium PML for ADI-BOR-FDTD method," IEEE Micro. Wirel. Compo. Lett., Vol. 18, No. 4, 221-223, 2008.
27. Li, J. X., W. Jiao, and X. M. Zhao, "Unconditionally stable CFS-PML based on CNAD-BOR-FDTD for truncating unmagnetized plasma," IEEE Trans. Electro. Compat., Vol. 60, No. 6, 2069-2072, 2018.
28. Wu, P. Y., Y. J. Xie, H. L. Jiang, and L. Q. Niu, "Higher-order approximate CN-PML theory for magnetized ferrite simulations," Advan. Theory Simulat., Vol. 3, No. 4, 2020.
29. Mukherjee, B. and D. K. Vishwakarma, "Application of finite difference time domain to calculate the transmission coefficient of an electromagnetic wave impinging perpendicularly on a dielectric interface with modified MUR-I ABC," Defence Science Journal, DRDO, Vol. 62, No. 4, 228-235, 2012.
30. Mukherjee, B., "Numerical solution in FDTD for absorbing boundary condition over dielectric surfaces," Journal of Advance Research in Scientific Computing, IASR, Vol. 4, No. 1, 13-23, 2012.
31. Berenger, J. P., "A perfectly matched layer for the absorption of electromagnetic waves," J. Com. Phys., Vol. 114, No. 2, 185-200, 1994.
32. Berenger, J. P., Perfectly Matched Layer (PML) for Computational Electromagnetics, Morgan & Claypool, 2007.
33. Chew, W. C. and W. H. Weedon, "A 3D perfectly matched medium from modified Maxwells equations with stretched coordinates," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 7, No. 13, 599-604, 1994.
34. Kuzuoglu, M. and R. Mittra, "Frequency dependence of the constitutive parameters of causal perfectly matched anisotropic absorbers," IEEE Microw. Guided Wave Lett., Vol. 6, 447-449, 1996.
35. Ramadan, O., "Unsplit field implicit PML algorithm for complex envelope dispersive LOD-FDTD simulations," Electron. Lett., Vol. 43, No. 5, 2007.
36. Chen, J., J. G. Wang, and C. M. Tian, "Using weakly conditionally stable-body of revolution-finite-difference time-domain method to simulate dielectric film-coated circular waveguide," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 9, No. 9, 853-860, 2015.
37. Wu, P. Y., Y. J. Xie, H. L. Jiang, and L. Q. Niu, "Performance-enhanced complex envelope ADI-PML for bandpass EM simulation," IEEE Micro. Wire. Compon. Lett., Vol. 30, No. 8, 729-732, 2020.
38. Nakazono, Y. and H. Asai, "Application of relaxation-based technique to ADI-FDTD method and its estimation," 2007 IEEE International Symposium on Circuits and Systems, 1489-1492, 2007.
39. Farahat, N., J. Carrion, and L. Morales, "PML termination of conducting media in the finite difference time domain method for Bodies of Revolution (BORs)," Workshop on Computational Electromagnetics in Time-Domain, 2005, CEM-TD 2005, No. 96–99, Atlanta, GA, USA, 2015.
40. Appannagarri, N., et al., "Modeling phased array antennas in Ansoft HFSS," Proceedings 2000 IEEE International Conference on Phased Array Systems and Technology (Cat. No. 00TH8510), 323-326, 2000.
41. Luo, K., S. Ge, L. Zhang, H. Liu, and J. Xing, "“Simulation analysis of ansys HFSS and CST microwave studio for frequency selective surface," 2019 International Conference on Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology (ICMMT), 1-3, 2019.
42. Tan, E. L., "Fundamental implicit FDTD schemes for computational electromagnetics and educational mobile apps (Invited review)," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 168, 39-59, 2020.
43. Tay, W. C., D. Y. Heh, and E. L. Tan, "GPU-accelerated fundamental ADI-FDTD with complex frequency shifted convolutional perfectly matched layer," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 14, 177-192, 2010.
44. Tan, E. L., "Fundamental schemes for efficient unconditionally stable implicit finite-difference time-domain methods," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 1, 170-177, 2008.
45. Singh, G., E. L. Tan, and Z. N. Chen, "Efficient complex envelope ADI-FDTD method for the analysis of anisotropic photonic crystals," IEEE Photo. Techn. Lett., Vol. 23, No. 12, 801-803, 2011.
46. Singh, G., E. L. Tan, and Z. N. Chen, "Modeling magnetic photonic crystals with lossy ferrites using an efficient complex envelope alternating-direction-implicit finite-difference time-domain method," Opt. Lett., Vol. 36, 1494-1496, 2011.
47. Heh, D. Y. and E. L. Tan, "Unconditionally stable multiple one-dimensional ADI-FDTD method for coupled transmission lines," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 66, No. 12, 7488-7492, 2018.
48. Yang, Z. and E. L. Tan, "Efficient 3-D fundamental LOD-FDTD method incorporated with memristor," IEICE Trans. Electronics, Vol. E99-C, Vol. 7, 788-792, 2016.
49. Heh, D. Y. and E. L. Tan, "Some recent developments in fundamental implicit FDTD schemes," Asia-Pacific Symp. Electromag. Compat., 153-156, Singapore, 2012.
50. Yang, Z., E. L. Tan, and D. Y. Heh, "Variants of second-order temporal-accurate 3-D FLODFDTD schemes with three split matrices," IEEE Int. Conf. Comput. Electromagn., 265-267, Guangzhou, 2016.