This paper investigates the effect of an external plane wave on a Multi-conductor transmission line (MTL) located above a multilayer soil directly in the time domain. An improved finite-difference time-domain (FDTD) method is used, in conjunction with the Vector Fitting (VF), to obtain the recursion relations of voltages and currents along the line by discretizing the equations in time and one-dimensional space. The source terms of the coupling equations are efficiently obtained in the time domain based on the Gaver-Stehfest algorithm. An equivalent model is also established in this work, where the geometry with three conductors is reduced to two conductors. Finally, some examples are presented to illustrate the effect of the soil and the plane wave on the transient.
2. Doric, V., D. Poljak, and V. Roje, "Electromagnetic field coupling to multiple finite length transmission lines above an imperfect ground," 2003 IEEE International Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility, 2003, EMC'03, Vol. 1, 595-598, Istanbul, Turkey, 2003.
3. Rachidi, F., "A review of field to transmission line coupling models with special emphasis to lightning induced voltages on overhead lines," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 54, No. 4, August 2012.
4. Kordi, B., J. Lovetri, and G. E. Bridges, "Finite-difference analysis of dispersive transmission lines within a circuit simulator," IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, Vol. 21, No. 1, January 2006.
5. Barnes, P. R. and F. M. Tesche, "On the direct calculation of a transient plane wave reflected from a finitely conducting half-space," OAK Ridge National Laboratory (Theor. Note 358), December 5, 1990.
6. Antonijevic, S. and D. Poljak, "A novel time-domain reflection coefficient function: TM case," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 55, No. 6, December 2013.
7. Stehfest, H., "Numerical inversion of Laplace transforms algorithm, Algorithm 368," Commun. ACM, Vol. 13, No. 1, 47-49, 1970.
8. Lu, T., L. Qi, and X. Cui, "Effect of multilayer soil on the switching transient in substations," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 42, No. 4, 843-846, April 2006.
9. Qi, L., X. Cui, and L. Li, "Transient plane wave coupling to overhead line above a multi-layer soil," 2006 IEEE International Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility, 2006, EMC 2006, 669-673, Portland, OR, USA, 2006.
10. Agrawal, A. K., H. J. Price, and S. H. Gurbaxani, "Transient response of multiconductor transmission line excited by a nonuniform electromagnetic field," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 22, 119-129, 1980.
11. Born, M., E. Wolf, A. Bhatia, P. Clemmow, D. Gabor, A. Stokes, and W. Wilcock, Principles of Optics: Electromagnetic Theory of Propagation, Interference and Diffraction of Light, 7th Ed., Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 1999.
12. Nakagawa, N., A. Ametani, and K. Iwamoto, "Further studies on wave propagation in overhead lines with earth return: Impedance of stratified earth," Proc. IEE, Vol. 120, No. 12, 1521-1528, 1973.
13. Sunde, E. D., Earth Conduction Effects in Transmission Systems, 2nd Ed., 99-139, Dover Publications, 1968.
14. Gustavsen, B. and A. Semlyen, "Rational approximation of frequency-domain responses by vector fitting," IEEE Trans. Power Del., Vol. 14, No. 3, 1052-1061, July 1999.
15. Paul, C. R., Analysis of Multiconductor Transmission Lines, Wiley, New York, 1994.
16. Yee, K., "Numerical Solution of initial boundary value problems involving Maxwell's equations in isotropic media," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 14, 302-307, 1966.
17. Stratton, J. A., Electromagnetic Theory, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1941.
18. Lahmidi, A., A. Maaouni, and Z. Belganche, "Padé approximation for time-domain plane wave reflected from a lossy earth," J. Phys. Commun., Vol. 2, 105001, 2018.
19. Lahmidi, A. and A. Maaouni, "Time-domain analysis of overhead line in presence of stratified earth," Progress In Electromagnetics Reasearch M, Vol. 88, 133-144, January 2020.
20. Belganche, Z., A. Maaouni, A. Mzerd, and A. Lahmidi, "Plane wave coupling to overhead lines over stratified earth," 2018 Progress In Electromagnetics Research Symposium (PIERS - Toyama), 2212-2219, Toyama, August 1-4, 2018.
21. Papadopoulos, T. A., G. K. Papagiannis, and D. P. Labridis, "A generalized model for the calculation of the impedances and admittances of overhead power lines above stratified earth," Electric Powers systems Research, Vol. 80, 1160-1170, 2010.