A method is given for evaluating electromagnetic scattering by an irregular surface with spatially-varying impedance. This uses an operator expansion with respect to impedance variation and allows examination of its effects and the resulting modification of the field scattered by the rough surface. For a fixed rough surface and randomly varying impedance, expressions are derived for the scattered field itself, and for the coherent field with respect to impedance variation for both flat and rough surfaces in the form of effective impedance conditions.
2. Ostashev, V. E., D. Keith Wilson, and S. N. Vecherin, "Effect of randomly varying impedance on the interference of the direct and ground-reflected waves," The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, Vol. 130, No. 4, 1844-1850, 2011.
3. Sarabandi, K. and T. Chiu, "Electromagnetic scattering from slightly rough surfaces with inhomogeneous dielectric profiles," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 45, No. 9, 1419-1430, 1997.
4. Hatziioannou, Y., "Scattering of an electromagnetic wave by a conducting surface," Journal of Modern Optics, Vol. 46, No. 1, 35-47, 1999.
5. Giovannini, H., M. Saillard, and A. Sentenac, "Numerical study of scattering from rough inhomogeneous films," JOSA A, Vol. 15, No. 5, 1182-1191, 1998.
6. Guérin, C.-A. and A. Sentenac, "Second-order perturbation theory for scattering from heterogeneous rough surfaces," JOSA A, Vol. 21, No. 7, 1251-1260, 2004.
7. Depine, R. A., "Backscattering enhancement of light and multiple scattering of surface waves at a randomly varying impedance plane," JOSA A, Vol. 9, No. 4, 609-618, 1992.
8. Brudny, V. L. and R. A. Depine, "Theoretical study of enhanced backscattering from random surfaces," Optik, Vol. 87, No. 4, 155-158, 1991.
9. Blumberg, D. G., V. Freilikher, I. Fuks, Y. Kaganovskii, A. A. Maradudin, and M. Rosenbluh, "Effects of roughness on the retroreflection from dielectric layers," Waves in Random Media, Vol. 12, No. 3, 279-292, 2002.
10. Brown, G. S., "Special issue on low-grazing-angle backscatter from rough surfaces," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 46, No. 1, 1-2, 1998.
11. Hatziioannou, Y. and M. Spivack, "Electromagnetic scattering by refractive index variations over a rough conducting surface," Journal of Modern Optics, Vol. 48, No. 7, 1151-1160, 2001.
12. Li, E. S. and K. Sarabandi, "Low grazing incidence millimeter-wave scattering models and measurements for various road surfaces," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 47, No. 5, 851-861, 1999.
13. Ogilvy, J. A. and Institute of Physics (UK), Theory of Wave Scattering from Random Rough Surfaces, CRC Press, 1991.
14. Voronovich, A. G., Wave Scattering from Rough Surfaces, Vol. 17, Springer Science & Business Media, 2013.
15. Watson, J. G. and J. B. Keller, "Reflection, scattering, and absorption of acoustic waves by rough surfaces," The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, Vol. 74, No. 6, 1887-1894, 1983.
16. Basra, N. S., "Wave scattering by rough surfaces with varying impedances,", PhD thesis, University of Cambridge, 2003.
17. DeSanto, J. A., "Exact boundary integral equations for scattering of scalar waves from infinite rough interfaces," Wave Motion, Vol. 47, No. 3, 139-145, 2010.
18. Kapp, D. A. and G. S. Brown, "A new numerical method for rough-surface scattering calculations," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 44, No. 5, 711, 1996.
19. Spivack, M., "Moments of wave scattering by a rough surface," The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, Vol. 88, No. 5, 2361-2366, 1990.
20. Spivack, M., A. Keen, J. Ogilvy, and C. Sillence, "Validation of left-right method for scattering by a rough surface," Journal of Modern Optics, Vol. 48, No. 6, 1021-1033, 2001.
21. Brennan, C., P. Cullen, and M. Condon, "A novel iterative solution of the three dimensional electric field integral equation," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, No. 10, 2781-2785, 2004.