A novel 4-element MIMO (multi-input multi-output) array antenna is proposed for DSRC, WLAN, and X-band applications. The proposed antenna is a microstrip antenna that consists of a simple square patch as radiating element with a defected ground structure (DGS). Dimensions of the proposed antenna are very compact with size 40 x 48 x 0.8 mm3. It operates from 5.6-6.1 GHz (DSRC/WLAN) and 8.7-10.8 GHz (X-band) with impedance bandwidths (S11 < = -10 dB) of 500 MHz and 2.1 GHz, respectively. The isolation between elements of MIMO is also greater than 25 dB in the operating bands. Antenna performance parameters are investigated at 5.9 GHz and 10.5 GHz center frequencies and computer-simulated, and experimentally measured characteristics are found to be satisfactory. A peak gain of 4.8 dB is achieved, and radiation efficiency is also greater than 75% in operating bands. ECC (Envelope Correlation Coefficient) is less than 0.05, and DG (Diversity Gain) is very close to 10. Group delay among the MIMO elements is below 2.7 ns, and CCL (Channel Capacity Loss) is also below 0.4 bits/sec/Hz. Therefore, the proposed 4-element MIMO antenna is suggestible for DSRC/WLAN and X-band applications.
2. Mondal, T., S. Samanta, R. Ghatak, and S. R. Bhadra Chaudhuri, "A novel tri-band hexagonal microstrip patch antenna using modified Sierpinski fractal for vehicular communication," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 57, 25-34, 2015.
3. Navarro-Méndez, D. V., L. F. Carrera-Suárez, D. Sánchez-Escuderos, M. Cabedo-Fabrés, M. Baquero-Escudero, M. Gallo, and D. Zamberlan, "Wideband double monopole for mobile, WLAN and C2C services in vehicular applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 16-19, 2016.
4. Naik, K. K. and P. A. V. Sri, "Design of hexadecagon circular patch antenna with DGS at Ku band for satellite communications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 63, 163-173, 2018.
5. Madhav, B. T. P., T. Anilkumar, and S. K. Kotamraju, "Transparent and conformal wheel-shaped fractal antenna for vehicular communication applications," AEU-International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 91, 1-10, 2018.
6. Naik, K. K., "Asymmetric CPW-fed SRR patch antenna for WLAN/Wimax applications," AEU-International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 93, 103-108, 2018.
7. Prudhvi Nadh, B., B. T. P. Madhav, M. Siva Kumar, M. Venkateswara Rao, and T. Anilkumar, "Asymmetric ground structured circularly polarized antenna for ISM and WLAN band applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 76, 167-175, 2018.
8. Madhav, B. T. P. and T. Anilkumar, "Design and study of multiband planar Wheel-like fractal antenna for vehicular communication applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 60, 1985-1993, 2018.
9. Raju, M. P., D. S. Phani Kishore, and B. T. P. Madhav, "CPW FED T-shaped wearable antenna for ISM band, Wi-Fi, Wimax, WLAN and fixed satellite service applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Engineering and Science, Vol. 19, 140-146, 2019.
10. Joshi, M. P. and V. J. Gond, "Design and analysis of microstrip patch antenna for WLAN and vehicular communication," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 97, 163-176, 2019.
11. Bandi, S., B. T. P. Madhav, D. K. Nayak, and S. S. M. Reddy, "Compact flexible inkjet-printing antenna on paper and transparent pet substrate materials for vehicular instrument communication," Journal of Instrumentation, Vol. 14, 2019.
12. Dattatreya, G. and K. K. Naik, "A low volume flexible CPW-FED elliptical-ring with split-triangular patch dual-band antenna," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 29, 2019.
13. Anilkumar, T., B. T. P. Madhav, M. Venkateswara Rao, and B. Prudhvi Nadh, "Bandwidth reconfigurable antenna on a liquid crystal polymer substrate for automotive communication applications," AEU-International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 117, 153096, 2020.
14. Kwon, O.-Y., R. Song, and B.-S. Kim, "A fully integrated shark-fin antenna for MIMO-LTE, GPS, WLAN, and WAVE applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 17, 600-603, 2018.
15. Alsath, M. G. N., H. Arun, Y. P. Selvam, M. Kanagasabai, S. Kingsly, S. Subbaraj, R. Sivasamy, S. K. Palaniswamy, and R. Natarajan, "An integrated tri-band/UWB polarization diversity antenna for vehicular networks," IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, Vol. 67, 5613-5620, 2018.
16. Venkateswara Rao, M., B. T. P. Madhav, J. Krishna, Y. U. Devi, T. Anilkumar, and B. P. Nadh, "CSRR-loaded T-shaped MIMO antenna for 5G cellular networks and vehicular communications," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 29, 2019.
17. El Ouahabi, M., A. Zakriti, M. Essaaidi, A. Dkiouak, and H. Elftouh, "A miniaturized dual-band MIMO antenna with low mutual coupling for wireless applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 93, 93-101, 2019.
18. Piao, H., Y. Jin, and L. Qu, "A compact and straightforward self-decoupled MIMO Antenna System for 5G applications," IEEE Access, Vol. 8, 129236-129245, 2020.
19. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, 3rd Ed., Wiley, New Jersey, 2005.
20. Kraus, J. D., R. J. Marhefka, and A. S. Khan, Antennas and Wave Propagation, 4th Ed., Mc-Graw Hill, 2015.