Placing microwave absorbing materials into a high-quality factor resonant cavity may in general reduce the large interior electromagnetic fields excited under external illumination. In this paper, we aim to combine two analytical models we previously developed: 1) an unmatched formulation for frequencies below the slot resonance to model shielding effectiveness versus frequency; and 2) a perturbation model approach to estimate the quality factor of cavities in the presence of absorbers. The resulting model realizes a toolkit with which design guidelines of the absorber's properties and location can be optimized over a frequency band. Analytic predictions of shielding effectiveness for three transverse magnetic modes for various locations of the absorber placed on the inside cavity wall show good agreement with both full-wave simulations and experiments, and validate the proposed model. This analysis opens new avenues for specialized ways to mitigate harmful fields within cavities.
2. Nie, X.-C. and N. Yuan, "Accurate modeling of monopole antennas in shielded enclosures with apertures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 79, 251-262, 2008.
3. Eng Swee, S., et al., "Coupling studies and shielding techniques for electromagnetic penetration through apertures on complex cavities and vehicular platforms," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 45, No. 2, 245-257, 2003.
4. Tait, G. B., et al., "On measuring shielding effectiveness of sparsely moded enclosures in a reverberation chamber," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 55, No. 2, 231-240, 2013.
5. Warne, L. K., et al., "A bound on electromagnetic penetration through a slot aperture with backing cavity," Sandia National Laboratories Report, 2016, SAND2016-9029, Albuquerque, NM, USA, 2016.
6. Campione, S., et al., "Preliminary survey on the effectiveness of an electromagnetic dampener to improve system shielding effectiveness," Sandia National Laboratories Report, 2018, SAND2018-10548, Albuquerque, NM, 2018.
7. Campione, S., et al., "Perturbation theory to model shielding effectiveness of cavities loaded with electromagnetic dampeners," Electronics Letters, Vol. 55, No. 11, 644-646, 2019.
8. Campione, S., et al., "Penetration through slots in cylindrical cavities operating at fundamental cavity modes," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, doi: 10.1109/TEMC.2020.2977600, 2020.
9. Williams, D. F., "Damping of the resonant modes of a rectangular metal package [MMICs]," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 37, No. 1, 253-256, 1989.
10. Dixon, P., "Cavity-resonance dampening," IEEE Microwave Magazine, Vol. 6, No. 2, 74-84, 2005.
11. Campione, S., et al., "Antenna loading impact on the coupling response of a slotted cylindrical cavity," Sandia National Laboratories Report, 2017, SAND2017-5378, Albuquerque, NM, 2017.
12. Harrington, R. F., Time-harmonic Electromagnetic Fields, Chapters 1, 5, 7, Wiley-IEEE Press, 2001.
13. ECCOSORB MCS, Emerson & Cuming Microwave Products, https://www.laird.com/rfmicrowave-absorbers-dielectrics/elastomers-films-foams/cavity-resonance-and-surface-wave-absorbers/eccosorb-mcs.