This paper discusses a circular loop frequency selective surface (FSS) using a 3-D (three dimensional) printed technique. The proposed FSS design consists of a metallic patch having a circular loop printed on one side of Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene (ABS) material. This design is used for harmonic radar applications at 5 GHz resonant frequency. Various FSS parameters are discussed to show the effect on the resonant frequency. To make fabrication process easier and cost-effective, transmitting and receiving antennas are also printed using a 3-D printing material. 3-D printing offers cost-effective fabrication technique compared with other conventional techniques and helps in rapid prototyping. The fabricated prototype is validated with the experimental results that show good agreement between simulated results and the measured ones.
2. Reed, J. A. and D. M. Byrne, "Frequency-selective surfaces with multiple apertures within a periodic cell," JOSA A, Vol. 15, 660-668, Mar. 1998.
3. Sievenpiper, D. F., "High-impedance electromagnetic surfaces,", 1998.
4. Ott, R. H., R. G. Kouyoumjian, and L. Peters, "Scattering by a two-dimensional periodic array of narrow plates," Radio Science, Vol. 2, 1347-1359, Nov. 1967.
5. Ebrahimi, A., S. Nirantar, W. Withayachumnankul, M. Bhaskaran, S. Sriram, S. F. Al-Sarawi, and D. Abbott, "Second-order terahertz bandpass frequency selective surface with miniaturized elements," IEEE Transactions on Terahertz Science and Technology, Vol. 5, 761-769, Jul. 2015.
6. Cong, L., X. Cao, and T. Song, "Ultra-wideband RCS reduction and gain enhancement of aperture-coupled antenna based on hybrid-FSS," Radioengineering, Vol. 26, 1041, Dec. 2017.
7. Zhang, W., J. Y. Li, and J. Xie, "A broadband linear-to-circular transmission polarizer based on right-angled frequency selective surfaces," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, 2017.
8. Chakravarty, S., R. Mittra, and N. R. Williams, "On the application of the microgenetic algorithm to the design of broad-band microwave absorbers comprising frequency-selective surfaces embedded in multilayered dielectric media," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 49, 1050-1059, Jun. 2001.
9. Parker, E. A., S. Massey, M. Shelley, and R. Pearson, "Application of FSS structures to selectively control the propagation of signals into and out of buildings Annex 5: Survey of active FSS," ERA Technology, Tech. Rep. Ofcom AY4464A Project, 2004.
10. Jain, A., R. P. Yadav, and S. Kumar, "Design and development of high power variable dual-directional radio frequency coupler," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 13, 2544-2550, Aug. 2019.
11. Jain, A., R. P. Yadav, and S. Kumar, "Design and development of resonant loop antenna for mock-up ion cyclotron resonance frequency system of tokamak," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 13, 976-981, 2019.
12. Jain, A., R. P. Yadav, and S. V. Kulkarni, "Design and development of 2 kW, 3 dB hybrid coupler for the prototype ion cyclotron resonance frequency (ICRF) system," International Journal of Microwave and Wireless Technologies, Vol. 11, 1-6, Feb. 2019.
13. Abadi, S. M. A. M. H., M. Li, and N. Behdad, "Harmonic-suppressed miniaturized-element frequency selective surfaces with higher order bandpass responses," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 62, No. 5, 2562-2571, 2014.
14. Chieh, J. C. S., B. Dick, S. Loui, and J. D. Rockway, "Development of a Ku-band corrugated conical horn using 3-D print technology," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 13, 201-204, Jan. 2014.
15. Kronberger, R. and P. Soboll, "3D-printed frequency selective surfaces for microwave absorbers," IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation (ISAP), 178-179, Oct. 2016.
16. O’Neal, M. E., D. A. Landis, E. Rothwell, L. Kempel, and D. Reinhard, "Tracking insects with harmonic radar: A case study," American Entomologist, Vol. 50, 212-218, Oct. 2004.
17. Moore, J. D., "Acrylonitrile-butadiene-styrene (ABS) --- A review," Composites, Vol. 4, 118-130, May 1973.
18. Liu, N., X. Sheng, C. Zhang, and D. Guo, "Design of frequency selective surface structure with high angular stability for radome application," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 17, 138-141, Nov. 2017.
19. Samaddar, P., S. De, S. Sarkar, S. Biswas, D. C. Sarkar, and P. P. Sarkar, "Study on dual wide band frequency selective surface for different incident angles," Int. J. Soft Comput. Eng., Vol. 2, 340-342, Jan. 2013.
20. Balanis, C. A., "Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design," John Wiley & Sons, 2016.
21. Huang, F. C., C. N. Chiu, T. L. Wu, and Y. P. Chiou, "A circular-ring miniaturized-element metasurface with many good features for frequency selective shielding applications," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 57, 365-374, Jan. 2015.
22. Behdad, N., M. Al-Joumayly, and M. Salehi, "A low-profile third-order bandpass frequency selective surface," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, 460-466, Mar. 2009.
23. Bharti, G., K. R. Jha, G. Singh, G., and R. Jyoti, "Angular stable, dual-polarized and multiband modified circular ring frequency selective surface," Frequenz, Vol. 69, 199-206, May 2015.
24. Bharti, G., K. R. Jha, G. Singh, and R. Jyoti, "Design of angular and polarization stable modified circular ring frequency selective surface for satellite communication system," International Journal of Microwave and Wireless Technologies, Vol. 8, 899-907, Sep. 2016.
25. Ghosh, S. and S. Lim, "A miniaturized bandpass frequency selective surface exploiting 3D printing technique," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, May 2019.