A gradient index metamaterial (GIM) based conformal cloak is utilized to reduce the overall scattering of a dipole antenna and its blockage effect when being placed in close proximity of a horn antenna. The reduction in scattering is attributed to wave conversion properties of GIM cover, by virtue of which the propagating waves get converted to surface waves and vice versa, thus reducing the scattering signature of the dipole. The GIM cover also has the advantage of larger bandwidth than single metasurface based cloaks (mantle cloak). The proposed GIM based cloak proves to be effective in reducing the mutual interference between dipole and horn antenna without disrupting the performance of individual antennas in their respective frequency band of interest. The Ansys HFSS simulation results are presented to demonstrate the effectiveness of GIM based cover to reduce mutual blockage effect between a low band dipole and an S-band horn antenna.
2. Alù, A. and N. Engheta, "Achieving transparency with plasmonic and metamaterial coatings," Phys. Rev. E, Vol. 72, No. 1, 2005.
3. Alù, A., "Mantle cloak: Invisibility induced by a surface," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 80, No. 24, 2009.
4. Chen, P. Y. and A. Alù, "Mantle cloaking using thin patterned metasurfaces," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 80, No. 24, 2011.
5. Padooru, Y. R., A. B. Yakovlev, P. Y. Chen, and A. Alù, "Analytical modeling of conformal mantle cloaks for cylindrical objects using sub-wavelength printed and slotted arrays," Journal of Applied Physics. B, Vol. 112, No. 3, 2012.
6. Alù, A. and N. Engheta, "Cloaking a sensor," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 102, No. 23, 2009.
7. Monti, A., J. Soric, A. Alù, F. Bilotti, A. Toscano, and L. Vegni, "Overcoming mutual blockage between neighboring dipole antennas using a low-profile patterned metasurface," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 1414-1417, 2012.
8. Soric, J. C., R. Fleury, A. Monti, A. Toscano, F. Bilotti, and A. Alù, "Controlling scattering and absorption with metamaterial covers," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 62, No. 8, 4220-4229, 2014.
9. Soric, J. C., A. Monti, A. Toscano, F. Bilotti, and A. Alù, "Dual-polarized reduction of dipole antenna blockage using mantle cloaks," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 63, No. 11, 4827-4834, 2015.
10. Bernety, H. M. and A. B. Yakovlev, "Cloaking of single and multiple elliptical cylinders and strips with confocal elliptical nanostructured graphene metasurface," Journal of Physics: Condensed Matter, Vol. 27, No. 18, 2015.
11. Bernety, H. M. and A. B. Yakovlev, "Decoupling antennas in printed technology using elliptical metasurface cloaks," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 119, No. 1, 2016.
12. Monti, A., J. C. Soric, B. Mirko, R. Davide, V. Stefano, F. Trotta, A. Alù, A. Toscano, and F. Bilotti, "Mantle cloaking for co-site radio-frequency antennas," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 108, No. 11, 2016.
13. Moreno, G., H. Bernety, and A. B. Yakovlev, "Wideband elliptical metasurface cloaks in antenna technology," 2017 IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation USNC/URSI National Radio Science Meeting, 69-70, 2017.
14. Moreno, G., A. B. Yakovlev, H. M. Bernety, D. H. Werner, H. Xin, A. Monti, F. Bilotti, and A. Alù, "Wideband elliptical metasurface cloaks in printed antenna technology," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 66, No. 7, 3512-3525, 2018.
15. Monti, A., J. Soric, A. Alù, T. Alessandro, and B. Filiberto, "Design of cloaked Yagi-Uda antennas," EPJ Applied Metamaterials, Vol. 3, 2016.
16. Bisht, M. S. and K. V. Srivastava, "Design and analysis of gradient index metamaterial-based cloak with wide bandwidth and physically realizable material parameters," Applied Physics A, Vol. 124, No. 4, 2018.
17. Shulin, S., H. Qiong, X. Shiyi, X. Qin, L. Xin, and Z. Lei, "Gradient-index meta-surfaces as a bridge linking propagating waves and surface waves," Nature Materials, Vol. 11, 2012.
18. Xu, Y., C. Gu, B. Hou, Y. Lai, J. Li, and H. Chen, "Broadband asymmetric waveguiding of light without polarization limitations," Nature Communications, Vol. 4, 2013.
19. Gu, C., Y. Xu, S. Li, W. Lu, J. Li, H. Chen, and B. Hou, "A broadband polarization-insensitive cloak based on mode conversion," Scientific Reports, Vol. 5, 2015.
20. L3 Narda-ATM, "Waveguide horn antenna-standard gain and wide band,", https://www.atmmicrowave.com/waveguide/horn-antenna-standard-gain-wide-band.
21. Saini, L., Y. Janu, M. K. Patra, R. K. Jani, G. K. Gupta, A. Dixit, and S. R. Vadera, "Dual band resonance in tetragonal BaTiO3/NBR composites for microwave absorption applications," J. Am. Ceram. Soc., Vol. 99, No. 9, 3002-3007, 2016.
22. Bele, A., M. Cazacu, G. Stiubianu, and S. Vlad, "Silicone-barium titanate composites with increased electromechanical sensitivity. The effects of the filler morphology," RSC Adv., Vol. 4, No. 102, 58522-58529, 2014.
23. Murugan, M., V. K. Kokate, M. S. Bapat, and A. M. Sapkal, "Synthesis of nanosized barium titanate/epoxy resin composites and measurement of microwave absorption," Bull. Mater. Sci., Vol. 33, No. 6, 657-662, Dec. 2010.
24. Babar, A. A., V. A. Bhagavati, L. Ukkonen, A. Z. Elsherbeni, P. Kallio, and L. Sydanheimo, "Performance of high-permittivity ceramic-polymer composite as a substrate for UHF RFID tag antennas," Int. J. Antennas Propag., 2012.
25. Vural, M., B. Crowgey, L. C. Kempel, and P. Kofinas, "Nanostructured flexible magneto-dielectrics for radio frequency applications," J. Mater. Chem. C, Vol. 2, No. 4, 756-763, 2014.
26. Han, K., M. Swaminathan, R. Pulugurtha, H. Sharma, R. Tummala, S. Yang, and V. Nair, "Magneto-dielectric nanocomposite for antenna miniaturization and SAR reduction," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 15, 72-75, 2016.
27. Morales, C. A., "Magneto-dielectric polymer nanocomposite engineered substrate for RF and microwave antennas,", Ph.D. Dissertation, University of South Florida, 2011.
28. Yang, T. I., R. N. C. Brown, L. C. Kempel, and P. Kofinas, "Controlled synthesis of core-shell iron-silica nanoparticles and their magneto-dielectric properties in polymer composites," Nanotechnology, Vol. 22, No. 10, 2011.