This paper presents an application of integral type optimal control scheme for rotor positioning of a hybrid magnetic bearing (HMB) in one degree of freedom (1-DOF) using low bias current. It is observed that higher biasing current enhances the linearity and disturbance rejection capability but at a cost of higher copper loss in the actuator. So, selection of biasing in an HMB system is very crucial. In the proposed scheme the dc biasing current can be varied by adjusting the axial offset to the rotor magnet. Analysis has been conducted to achieve the optimal biasing current for better performance of the HMB. A prototype of the HMB system has been fabricated and tested which represents quite satisfactory axial vibration characteristics under low biasing current.
2. Ohji, T., et al., "Structure of one-axis controlled repulsive type magnetic bearing system with surface permanent magnets installed and its levitation and rotation tests," IEEE Trans. on Magnetics, Vol. 47, No. 12, 4734-4739, 2011.
3. Han, B., S. Zheng, X. Wang, and Q. Yuan, "Integral design and analysis of passive magnetic bearing and active radial magnetic bearing for agile satellite application," IEEE Transaction on Magnetics, Vol. 48, No. 6, 1959-1966, 2017.
4. Santra, T., D. Roy, A. B. Choudhury, and S. Yamada, "Vibration control of a hybrid magnetic bearing using an adaptive sliding mode technique," Journal of Vibration and Control, Vol. 24, No. 10, 1848-1860, 2018.
5. Wei, C. and D. Söffker, "Optimization strategy for PID controller design of AMB rotor system," IEEE Transaction on Control System Technology, Vol. 24, No. 3, 788-803, 2016.
6. Komorii, M. and N. Akinagar, "A prototype of flywheel ebergy storage system suppressed by hybrid magnetic bearing with H/sup/spl infin/controller," IEEE Transactions on Applied Super Conductivity, Vol. 11, No. 1, 1733-1736, 2001.
7. Santra, T., D. Roy, and A. B. Choudhury, "Calculation of passive magnetic force in a radial magnetic bearing using general division approach," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 54, No. 1, 91-102, 2017.
8. Santra, T., D. Roy, and S. Yamada, "Calculation of force between two ring magnets using adaptive monte carlo technique with experimental verification," Progress In Electromagnetic Research M, Vol. 49, No. 1, 181-193, 2016.