A compact differential-fed ultra-wideband (UWB) antenna with single band-notched characteristicis proposed in this paper. The antenna consists of a ground plane etched with an octagonal groove and two symmetrical hexagonal radiating patches. Return loss and isolation of the antenna can be effectively reduced by loading a rectangular stub on the ground plane and etching a semi-circular groove on the radiation patch. In order to achieve a controllable single band-notched characteristic, two pairs of quarter-wavelength stubsare introduced into the grounding plane. The antenna has lower cross polarization and stable gains than conventional single feed antennas. The measured impedance bandwidth with S11 ≤ -10 dB is 114% from 3 GHz to 11 GHz, and the notch characteristic is realized in the 7.2-8.4 GHz band.
2. Koziel, S. and S. A. Bekasiewicz, "Fast simulation-driven design optimization of UWB band-notch antennas," IEEE Antennas & Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 15, 926-929, 2016.
3. Tu, Z.-H., W.-A. Li, and Q.-X. Chu, "Single-layer differential CPW-fed notch-band tapered-slot UWB antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 13, 1296-1299, 2014.
4. Alam, M. S. and A. Abbosh, "Reconfigurable band-rejection antenna for ultra-wideband applications," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 12, 195-202, 2018.
5. Siddiqui, J. Y., et al., "Ultra-wideband antipodal tapered slot antenna with integrated frequency notch characteristics," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 66, 1534-1539, 2018.
6. Shaik, L. A., et al., "An antenna advance for cognitive radio: Introducing a multilayered split ring resonator-loaded printed ultrawideband antenna with multifunctional characteristics," IEEE Antennas & Propagation Magazine, Vol. 60, 20-33, 2018.
7. Siddiqui, J. Y., C. Saha, and Y. M. M. Antar, "Compact SRR loaded UWB circular monopole antenna with frequency notch characteristics," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 62, 4015-4020, 2014.
8. Shaik, L. A., C. Saha, J. Y. Siddiqui, and Y. M. M. Antar, "An UWB monopole antenna for multiband and wideband frequency notch and narrowband applications," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 10, 1204-1211, 2016.
9. Yazdi, M. and N. Komjani, "Design of a band-notched UWB monopole antenna by means of an EBG structure," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 170-173, 2012.
10. Peng, L. and C.-L. Ruan, "UWB band-notched monopole antenna design using electromagnetic-bandgap structures," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory & Techniques, Vol. 59, 1074-1081, 2011.
11. Xu, F., Z.-X. Wang, X. Chen, and X.-A. Wang, "Dual band-notched UWB antenna based on spiral electromagnetic-bandgap structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 39, 393-409, 2012.
12. Xu, Y., H. Li, Y.-Z. Yin, and Z. Deng, "A compact differential-fed half-elliptic monopole antenna with triple band-notched function," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 62, 35-40, 2016.
13. Jetti, C. R. and V. R. Nandanavanam, "A very compact MIMO antenna with triple band-notch function for portable UWB systems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 82, 13-27, 2018.
14. Liu, Y.-Y. and Z.-H. Tu, "Compact differential band-notched stepped-slot UWB-MIMO antenna with common-mode suppression," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 593-596, 2017.
15. Huang, H. and Y. Liu, "Planar differentially driven ultrawideband polarization diversity antenna with band-notched characteristics," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 14, 563-566, 2015.
16. Lin, C.-C., P. Jin, and R. W. Ziolkowski, "Single, dual and tri-band-notched Ultrawideband (UWB) antennas using Capacitively Loaded Loop (CLL) resonators," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 1, 102-109, 2012.
17. Naghar, A., et al., "Improvement of notch performances for UWB monopole antennas using CSRR and SSRR," International Conference on Multimedia Computing & Systems, IEEE, 2017.