A simple and compact, self-isolated printed antenna able to operate in the 2.4 GHz (2400-2484 MHz) and the 5 GHz (5150-5825 MHz) wireless local area network (WLAN) bands in notebook computers is introduced. The design is built on a low-cost substrate with the dimensions 6 mm × 30 mm (about 0.05λ × 0.24λ at 2.4 GHz) and comprises a symmetrical coupled-fed loop and two parasitic shorted strips. For size reduction, the 2.4 GHz loop is loaded with a pair of L-shaped stubs above the feeding and coupling T strip. The parasitic strips shorted on both sides of the coupling T strip are further added to generate the 5 GHz band resonance. The results show that good radiation characteristics can be obtained in the bands of interest. In addition, when grouping three proposed designs with a gap of 4 mm between them, the results for each antenna impedance bandwidth, the isolation between any two of the three designs, and the envelope correlation coefficient (ECC) are also satisfactory.
2. Wong, K. L., C. C. Wan, and L. Y. Chen, "Self-decoupled compact metal-frame LTE MIMO antennas for the smartphone," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 60, 1170-1179, 2018.
3. Zhao, A. and Z. Ren, "Multiple-input and multiple-output antenna system with self-isolated antenna element for fifth-generation mobile terminals," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 61, 20-27, 2019.
4. Zhao, A. and Z. Ren, "Size reduction of self-isolation MIMO antenna system for 5G mobile phone applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagat., Vol. 18, 152-156, 2019.
5. ANSYS HFSS, ANSYS Inc., https://www.ansys.com/Products/Electronics/ANSYS-HFSS.
6. Su, S. W., "High-gain dual-loop antennas for MIMO access points in the 2.4/5.2/5.8 GHz bands," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 58, 2412-2419, 2010.
7. Hong, T. C. and S. W. Su, "Compact high-gain printed loop-antenna array integrated into a 5-GHz WLAN access point," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 52, 2261-2267, 2010.
8. Su, S. W. and T. C. Hong, "Printed, multi-loop-antenna system integrated into a concurrent, dual-WLAN-band access point," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 53, 317-322, 2011.
9. Su, S. W., "Printed loop antenna integrated into a compact, outdoor WLAN access point with dual-polarized radiation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 19, 25-35, 2011.
10. Su, S. W. and C. T. Lee, "Low-cost dual-loop-antenna system for dual-WLAN-band access points," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 59, 1652-1659, 2011.
11. Su, S. W., "Compact four-loop-antenna system for concurrent, 2.4- and 5-GHz WLAN operation," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 56, 208-215, 2014.
12. SG 64, SATIMO, http://www.mvg-world.com/en/products/field_product_family/antenna-measurement-2/sg-64.
13. Su, S. W., "Very-low-profile, 2.4/5-GHz WLAN monopole antenna for large screen-to-body-ratio notebook computers," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 60, 1313-1318, 2018.
14. Su, S. W., "Very-low-profile, small-sized, printed monopole antenna for WLAN notebook computer applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 82, 51-57, 2019.
15. Su, S. W., "Capacitor-inductor-loaded, small-sized loop antenna for WLAN notebook computers," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 71, 179-188, 2018.
16. Volakis, J. L., Antenna Engineering Handbook, 4th Ed., 3rd Edition, Chapter 2, Wiley, Hoboken, NJ, 2007.
18. Blanch, S., J. Romeu, and I. Corbella, "Exact representation of antenna system diversity performance from input parameter description," Electronics Lett., Vol. 39, 705-707, 2003.
19. Vaughan, R. G. and J. B. Andersen, "Antenna diversity in mobile communications," IEEE Trans. Vehicular Technol., Vol. 36, 149-172, Nov. 1987.