A planar endfire circularly polarized quasi-Yagi antenna with the feasibility of obtaining a wider bandwidth and relatively smaller size is proposed and demonstrated. With a planar double-sided printed complementary structure, the proposed endfire circularly polarized (CP) antenna, consisting of a vertically polarized planar quasi-Yagi array and a horizontally polarized planar quasi-Yagi array with a common driver, is designed, analyzed, and fabricated. Good agreement between simulated and measured results is observed. Simulation and measurement results reveal that the proposed antenna can provide an impedance bandwidth of 16.3% (5.02-5.91 GHz) and a 3 dB axial ratio (AR) bandwidth of 17.4% (5-5.95 GHz). Meanwhile, the proposed antenna has endfire gains from 5.4 dBic to 7.4 dBic with an average endfire gain of 6.3 dBic, and front-to-back (F/B) ratios ranging from 10.2 dB to 16 dB with an average F/B ratio of 11.9 dB. Additionally, the measured effective CP bandwidth of 16.3% (5.02-5.91 GHz) not only meets the need for certain Wi-Fi (5.2/5.8 GHz) or WiMAX (5.5 GHz) band communication application, but also provides the potential to implement multiservice transmission.
2. Yang, Z.-Q., L.-M. Zhang, and T. Yang, "A microstrip magnetic dipole Yagi-Uda antenna employing vertical I-shaped resonators as parasitic elements," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 66, No. 8, 3910-3917, Aug. 2018.
3. Zhang, W.-H., P. Cheong, W.-J. Lu, and K.-W. Tam, "Planar endfire circularly polarized antenna for low profile handheld RFID reader," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 2, No. 1, 15-22, Mar. 2018.
4. Yang, H.-Q., M. You, W.-J. Lu, L. Zhu, and H.-B. Zhu, "Envisioning an endfire circularly polarized antenna: Presenting a planar antenna with a wide beamwidth and enhanced front-to-back ratio," IEEE Mag. on Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 4, 70-79, Aug. 2018.
5. Yaghjian, A.-D. and R.-B. Steven, "Impedance, bandwidth, and Q of antennas," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 1, 501-504, 2003.
6. Lu, W.-J., J.-W. Shi, K.-F. Tong, and H.-B. Zhu, "Planar endfire circularly polarized antenna using combined magnetic dipoles," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 14, 1263-1266, 2015.
7. Zhang, W.-H., W.-J. Lu, and K.-W. Tam, "A planar end-fire circularly polarized complementary antenna with beam in parallel with its plane," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 64, No. 3, 1146-1152, Mar. 2016.
8. You, M., W.-J. Lu, B. Xue, L. Zhu, and H.-B. Zhu, "A novel planar endfire circularly polarized antenna with wide axial-ratio beamwidth and wide impedance bandwidth," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 64, No. 10, 4554-4559, Oct. 2016.
9. Chen, Z.-Z. and Z.-X. Shen, "Planar helical antenna of circular polarization," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 63, No. 10, 4315-4323, Oct. 2015.
10. Rafiei, V., S. Karamzadeh, and H. Saygin, "Millimetre-wave high-gain circularly polarised SIW end-fire bow-tie antenna by utilising semi-planar helix unit cell," Electron. Lett., Vol. 54, No. 7, 411-412, Apr. 2018.
11. Wu, J. N., Z.-Q. Zhao, Z.-P. Nie, and Q.-H. Liu, "Design of a wideband planar printed quasi-yagi antenna using stepped connection structure," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 62, No. 6, 3431-3435, Jun. 2014.
12. Podilchak, S.-K., J.-C. Johnstone, M. Clénet, and Y. M. M. Antar, "A compact wideband dielectric resonator antenna with a meandered slot ring and cavity backing," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 15, 909-913, 2016.