The context of the paper is the 50-60 Hz electromagnetic interference between AC power lines/electrified railway lines and pipelines; we present here an algorithm for the evaluation of the AC induced current density, flowing through the holidays (defects) in the pipeline insulating coating, from pipe to soil by modelling this last one as a two-layer structure. Moreover, the value of holidays area is treated as a random variable (as actually is from field experience) so allowing to associate a certain level of probability to the event of exceeding the AC current density limit, established by standards, for AC corrosion risk. The results show that the surface layer soil resistivity is a very significant factor influencing the level of AC induced current density.
2. CIGRE, "AC corrosion on metallic pipelines due to interference from AC power lines - Phenomenon, modelling and countermeasures," CIGRE, 2006.
3. EN 15280, "Evaluation of a.c. corrosion likelihood of buried pipelines applicable to cathodically protected pipelines,", 2013.
4. ITU-T, "Directives concerning the protection of telecommunication lines against harmful effects from electric power and electrified railway lines," Capacitive, Inductive and Conductive Coupling: Physical Theory and Calculation Methods, Vol. III, ITU, 1989.
5. CIGRE, "Guide on the influence of high voltage AC power systems on metallic pipeline," CIGRE, 1995.
6. EPRI, "Mutual design considerations for overhead AC transmission lines and gas transmission pipelines," Engineering Analysis, Vol. 1, EPRI, 1978.
7. EPRI, "Power line fault current coupling to nearby natural gas pipelines," Analytic Methods and Graphical Techniques, Vol. 1, EPRI, 1987.
8. Dawalibi, F. P. and R. D. Southey, "Analysis of electrical interference from power lines to gas pipelines Part I: Computation methods," IEEE Trans. on Power Deliv., Vol. 4, No. 3, 1840-1846, 1989.
9. Sunde, E. D., Earth Conduction Effects in Transmission Systems, 1st Ed., D. Van Nostrand, 1949.
10. Micu, D. D., L. Czumbil, G. Christoforidis, and A. Ceclan, "Layer recurrent neural network solution for an electromagnetic interference problem," IEEE Trans. on Magnetics, Vol. 47, No. 5, 1410-1413, 2011.
11. Micu, D. D., L. Czumbil, G. C. Christoforidis, A. Ceclan, and D. Stet, "Evaluation of induced AC voltages in underground metallic pipeline," COMPEL, The International Journal for Computation and Mathematics in Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Vol. 31, No. 4, 1133-1143, 2012.
12. Micu, D. D., G. C. Christoforidis, and L. Czumbil, "AC Interference on pipelines due to double circuit power lines: A detailed study," Electric Power Systems Research, Vol. 103, 1-8, 2013.
13. Cristofolini, A., A. Popoli, and L. Sandrolini, "A comparison between Carson’s formulae and a 2D FEM approach for the evaluation of AC interference caused by overhead power lines on buried metallic pipelines," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 79, 39-48, 2017.
14. Ouadah, M., O. Touhami, R. Ibtiouen, A Bouzida, S. Bouyegh, D. Allou, and A. Haddad, "Pipelines corrosion due to the electromagnetic pollution caused by the high voltage power lines," 4ème Conférence Internationale des Energies Renouvelables (CIER-2016), Proceedings of Engineering and Technology - PET, Vol. 17, 97-101, Hammamet, Tunisia, December 20–22, 2016.
15. Adedeji, K. B., A. A. Ponnle, B. T. Abe, A. A. Jimoh, A. M. Abu-Mahfouz, and Y. Hamam, "AC induced corrosion assessment of buried pipelines near HVTLs: A case study of South Africa," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 81, 45-61, 2018.
16. Tagg, G. F., Earth Resistances, 1-10, George Newnes Limited, London, 1964.
17. Kižlo, M. and A. Kanbergs, "Research of the parameter changes of the grounding system," 2009 World Non-Grid-Connected Wind Power and Energy Conference, Nanjing, China, September 24–26, 2009.
18. Kižlo, M. and A. Kanbergs, "The causes of the parameters changes of soil resistivity," Scientific Proceedings of Riga Technical University, The 50th International Scientific Conference Power and Electrical Engineering, 43-46, October 2009.
19. Hill, R. J., et al., "Electrical material data for railway track transmission line parameter studies," IEE Proc. Electr. Power Appl., Vol. 146, No. 1, 60-68, 1999.
20. Andolfato, R., L. Fellin, and R. Turri, "Nuovi approcci per la valutazione della sicurezza degli impianti di terra a frequenza industriale," Atti della 97ma Riunione Annuale AEI, Baveno, Italy, May 1997.
21. Andolfato, R., L. Fellin, and R. Turri, "Safety assessment of earthing systems at power frequency," Proc. Conf. ERA (Earthing Solutions - Standard Safety and Good Practice), Solihull-Birmingham, UK, June 1997.
22. Lucca, G., L. Di Biase, and M. Moro, "A. C. corrosion on buried pipelines: A probabilistic approach," Proc. of 6th CEOCOR Int. Congr. Giardini Naxos, Italy, 2003.