Global Navigation Satellite System Reflectometry (GNSSR) can be used to derive information about the composition or the properties of ground surfaces, by analyzing signals emitted by GNSS satellites and reflected from the ground. If the received power is measured with linearly polarized antennas, under the condition of smooth surface, the reflected signal is proportional to the modulus of the perpendicular and parallel polarization Fresnel coefficients, which depend on the incidence angle θ, and on the dielectric constant ε of the soil. In general, ε is a complex number; for non-dispersive soils, the imaginary part of ε can be neglected, and a real value of ε is sought. We solve the real-valued problem explicitly giving formulas that can be used to determine the dielectric constant ε and we compare the analytical solution with experimental data in the case of sand soil.
2. Zavorotny, V. U. and A. G. Voronovich, "Scattering of GPS signals from the ocean with wind remote sensing application," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 38, No. 2, 951-964, March 2000.
3. Wiehl, M., B. Legrésy, and R. Dietrich, "Potential of reflected GNSS signals for ice sheeet remote sensing," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 40, 177-205, 2003.
4. Alonso-Arroyo, A., V. U. Zavorotny, and A. Camps, "Sea ice detection using U.K. TDS-1 GNSS-R data," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 55, No. 9, 4989-5001, 2017.
5. Masters, D., A. Penina, and S. Katzberg, "Initial results of land-reflected GPS bistatic radar measurements in SMEX02," Remote Sensing of Environment, Vol. 92, No. 4, 507-520, 2004.
6. Ban, W., K. Yu, and X. Zhang, "GEO-satellite-based reflectometry for soil moisture estimation: Signal modeling and algorithm development," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 56, No. 3, 1829-1838, 2018.
7. Pierdicca, N., A. Mollfulleda, F. Costantini, L. Guerriero, L. Dente, S. Paloscia, E. Santi, and M. Zribi, "Spaceborne GNSS reflectometry data for land applications: An analysis of techdemosat data," International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium (IGARSS), 3343-3346, Valencia, Spain, July 22–27, 2018.
8. Li, W., A. Rius, F. Fabra, E. Cardellach, S. Ribó, and M. Martín-Neira, "Revisiting the GNSS-R waveform statistics and its impact on altimetric retrievals," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 56, No. 5, 2854-2871, 2018.
9. Mashburn, J., P. Axelrad, S. T. Lowe, and K. M. Larson, "Global ocean altimetry with GNSS reflections from TechDemoSat-1," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 56, No. 7, 4088-4097, July 2018.
10. Cardellach, E., et al., "GNSS Transpolar Earth Reflectometry exploriNg System (G-TERN): Mission concept," IEEE ACCESS, Vol. 6, 13980-14018, 2018, DOI: 10.1109/ACCESS.2018.2814072.
11. Katzberg, S., O. Torres, M. Grant, and D. Masters, "Utilizing calibrated GPS reflected signals to estimate soil reflectivity and dielectric constant: Results from SMEX02," Remote Sensing of Environment, Vol. 100, 17-28, 2005.
12. Egido, A., M. Caparrini, G. Ruffini, S. Paloscia, E. Santi, L. Guerriero, N. Pierdicca, and N. Floury, "Global navigation satellite systems reflectometry as a remote sensing tool for agriculture," Remote Sensing, Vol. 4, 2356-2372, 2012.
13. Yu, K., C. Rizos, D. Burrage, A. G. Dempster, K. Zhang, and M. Markgraf, "An overview of GNSS remote sensing," EURASIP Journal on Advances in Signal Processing, 2014-2034, 2014.
14. Pei, Y., R. Notarpietro, P. Savi, and F. Dovis, "A fully software GNSS-R receiver for soil monitoring," International Journal of Remote Sensing, Vol. 35, No. 6, 2378-2391, 2014.
15. Stutzman, W. L., Polarization in Electromagnetic Systems, Artech House, 1993.
16. Wang, J. and T. Schmugge, "An empirical model for the complex dielectric permittivity of soils as a function of water content," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 18, No. 4, 288-295, 1980.
17. Hallikainen, A. and F. Ulaby, "Microwave dielectric behavior of wet soil - Part 1: Empirical models and experimental observations," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 23, No. 1, 25-34, Jan. 1985.
18. Roo, R. D. and F. Ulaby, "Bistatic specular scattering from rough dielectric surfaces," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 42, No. 2, 220-231, 1994.
19. Pierdicca, N., L. Guerriero, M. Brogioni, and A. Egido, "On the coherent and non coherent components of bare and vegetated terrain bistatic scattering: Modelling the GNSS-R signal over land," Proc. IEEE Int. Geosci. Remote Sens. Symp., 3407-3410, Munich, Germany, July 22–27, 2012.
20. Savi, P. and A. Milani, "Real-valued solutions to an inverse Fresnel problem in GNSS-R," Inernational Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium (IGARSS2018), 3327-3330, Valencia, Spain, July 22–27, 2018.
21. Jia, Y., P. Savi, D. Canone, and R. Notarpietro, "Estimation of surface characteristics using GNSS LH-reflected Signals: Land versus water," IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Applied Earth Observations and Remote Sensing, Vol. 9, No. 10, 4752-4758, Oct. 2016.