This paper presents low cross-polarization single-layer reflectarray elements for dualpolarization use. These elements have an omega-shaped symmetrical structure to realize the crosspolarization reduction and also provide parallel linear reflection-phase properties with almost the same slop characteristics for the frequency, thereby achieving the desirable reflection phase range more than 360˚ over the wide frequency range. To verify effectiveness of the proposed elements, a reflectarray antenna with an offset feed is constructed by them, and wideband frequency characteristics are also confirmed at Ku-band numerically and experimentally.
2. Huang, J., V. Feria, and H. Fang, "Improvement of the three-meter Ka-band inflatable reflectarray antenna," IEEE Int. Symp. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 1, 122-125, Jul. 2001.
3. Dietlein, C., A. Hedden, and D. Wikner, "Digital reflectarray considerations for terrestrial millimeter-wave imaging," Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, IEEE, Vol. 11, 272-275, Mar. 2012.
4. Li, L., Q. Chen, Q. Yuan, K. Sawaya, T. Maruyama, T. Furuno, and S. Uebayashi, "Frequency selective reflectarray using crossed-dipole elements with square loops for wireless communication applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, No. 1, 89-98, Jan. 2011.
5. David, F., M. Pozar, S. D. Targonski, and H. D. Syrigos, "Design of millimeter wave microstrip reflectarrays," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 45, No. 2, 287-296, Feb. 1997.
6. Qin, P., Y. J. Guo, and A. R.Weily, "Broadband reflectarray antenna using subwavelength elements based on double square meander-line rings," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 64, No. 1, 378-383, Jan. 2016.
7. Encinar, J., "Design of two-layer printed reflectarrays using patches of variable size," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 49, No. 10, 1403-1410, Oct. 2001.
8. Florencio, R., J. Encinar, R. Boix, and G. Perez-Palomino, "Dual-polarisation reflectarray made of cells with two orthogonal sets of parallel dipoles for bandwidth and cross-polarisation improvement," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 8, 1389-1397, Jun. 2014.
9. Han, C., Y. Zhang, and Q. Yang, "A broadband reflectarray antenna using triple gapped rings with attached phase-delay lines," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 65, No. 5, 2713-2717, May 2017.
10. Deguchi, H., T. Idogawa, M. Tsuji, and H. Shigesawa, "Offset reflectarrays with dense microstrips for wideband use," Proc. of ISAP 2005, Vol. 1, 229-232, Aug. 2005.
11. Sakita, S., H. Deguchi, and M. Tsuji, "Single-layer microstrip reflectarray based on dual-resonance behavior," Proceedings of International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation, 1290-1293, 2007.
12. Mayumi, K., H. Deguchi, and M. Tsuji, "Wideband single-layer microstrip reflectarray based on multiple-resonance behavior," IEEE Antennas Propagat. Symp. Digest, No. s432p4, 2008.
13. Toyoda, T., H. Deguchi, M. Tsuji, and T. Nishimura, "Reflectarray elements based on two-resonance behavior for dual-polarization use," Proceedings of International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation, [FrP2-15] A09_1003, 2011.
14. Toyoda, T., D. Higashi, H. Deguchi, and M. Tsuji, "Broadband reflectarray with convex strip elements for dual-polarization use," Proceedings of International Symposium on Electromagnetic Theory, 2013.
15. Higashi, D., H. Deguchi, and M. Tsuji, "Omega-shaped resonant elements for dual-polarization and wideband reflectarray," IEEE Antennas Propagat. Symp. Digest, 809-810, 2014.
16. Wu, T. K., Frequency Selective Surface and Grid Array, Wiley, New York, 1995.
17. Mittra, R., C. H. Chan, and T. Cwik, "Techniques for analyzing frequency selective surfaces - A review," Proc. IEEE, Vol. 76, No. 12, 1593-1615, Dec. 1988.
18. Asada, T., H. Deguchi, and M. Tsuji, "Optimization of arbitrarily shaped elements suppressing cross-polarization component in reflectarray," IEICE Technical Report, EMT-13-148, Nov. 2013.
19. Morabito, A. F., A. R. Lagana, G. Sorbell, and T. Isernia, "Mask-constrained power synthesis of maximally sparse linear arrays through a compressive-sensing-driven strategy," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 29, No. 10, 1384-1396, 2015.
20. Silver, S., "Microwave antenna theory and design," IET, 1949.