For energy harvesting applications a new design of a coplanar waveguide (CPW) fed monopole antenna is presented. It covers almost all useful band ranges from 900 MHz-9.9 GHz (Radio, GSM, ISM, UWB bands). It also provides band reject characteristics for the range 3.1 GHz-5.6 GHz (HIPERLAN, C-Band, and W-LAN) to avoid interference from this range. The new design is based on the modification of coplanar waveguide (CPW) structure and optimizing the gap between patch and CPW ground for covering the ultra wideband (UWB) range and other useful ranges (Radio, GSM and ISM). Bandwidth enhancement and impedance matching for UWB range have been obtained by chamfering the corners, cutting two slots in CPW ground and dual stubs. The new design incorporates a parasitic patch above the antenna patch for tunning the desired band rejection. The entire design has been optimized at various stages during its evolution. The structure is compact in size 50×40×1.6 mm3. It may also be used for mobile, military and satellite applications.
2. Gao, Y.-Y., X. Yang, C. Jiang, and J.-Y. Zhou, "A circularly polarized rectenna with low profile for wireless power transmission," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 13, 41-49, 2010.
3. Huang, F. J., C.-M. Lee, C.-L. Chang, L.-K. Chen, T.-C. Yo, and C.-H. Luo, "Rectenna application of miniaturized implantable antenna design for triple-band biotelemetry communication," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, No. 7, 2646, 2011.
4. Takhedmit, H., L. Cirio, S. Bellal, D. Delcroix, and O. Picon, "Compact and efficient 2.45 GHz circularly polarised shorted ring-slot rectenna," Electron. Letters, Vol. 48, No. 5, 253, 2012.
5. Federal Communications Commission, , First report and order, Revision of Part 15 of commission’s rule regarding UWB transmission system, FCC, 02-48, Washington, DC, 2002.
6. Jung, J., H. Lee, and Y. Lim, "Compact band-notched ultra-wideband antenna with parasitic elements," Electron. Letters, Vol. 44, No. 19, 1104, 2008.
7. Choi, S. T., K. Hamaguchi, and R. Kohno, "Small printed CPW-fed triangular monopole antenna for ultra-wideband applications," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 51, No. 1, 1180, 2009.
8. Medeiros, C. R., J. R. Costa, and C. A. Fernandes, "Compact tapered slot UWB antenna with WLAN band rejection," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 8, No. 1, 661, 2009.
9. Jang, J.-W. and H.-Y. Hwang, "An improved band-rejection UWB antenna with resonant patches and a slot," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 8, No. 1, 299, 2009.
10. Zha, F. T., S. X. Gong, G. Liu, H. Y. Yang, and S. G. Lin, "Compact slot antenna for 2.4 GHz/UWB with dual band-notched characteristic," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 48, No. 1, 1859, 2009.
11. Lin, C.-C., Y.-C. Kan, L.-C. Kuo, and H.-R. Chuang, "A planar triangular monopole antenna for UWB communication,", Vol. 15, No. 10, 624, 2005.
12. Foudazi, A., H. R. Hassani, and S. M. A. Nezhad, "Small UWB planar monopole with added GPS/GSM/WLAN bands," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 6, 66, 2012.
13. Qing, X. and Z. N. Chen, "Compact coplanar waveguide-fed ultra-wideband monopole-like slot antenna," Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 3, No. 5, 889, 2009.
14. Li, W.-T., X.-W. Shi, T.-L. Zhang, and Y. Song, "Novel UWB planar monopole antenna with dual band-notched characteristics," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 52, No. 1, 48, 2010.
15. Ammann, M. J. and L. E. Doyle, "Small planar monopole covers multiband BRANs," Proc 30th European Microwave Conf., Vol. 2, 242-246, Paris, France, 2000.
16. Mathur, D., S. K. Bhatnagar, and V. Sahula, "Quick estimation of rectangular patch antenna dimensions based on equivalent design concept," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 13, 1469, 2014.
17. Mathur, M., A. Vats, and A. Agrawal, "A new design formula for feedline dimensions of the microstrip patch antenna by using equivalent design concept," IEEE Proc. of International Conference on Signal Processing and Communication Systems, 105-110, Jaypee, Noida, India, 2015, ISBN-No. 978-1-4799-6761-2/15, available: http://ieeeexplore.ieee.org/DOI:10.1109/ICSPCom.2015.7150629.
18. Reed, J. H., An Introduction to Ultra Wideband Communication Systems, Prentice Hall PTR, Upper Saddle River, NJ, 2005.
19. Volakis, J. L., Antenna Engineering Handbook, McGraw-Hill Education, New York, 2009.
20. Garg, R., P. Bhartia, I. Bahl, and A. Ittipiboon, Microstrip Antenna Design Handbook, Artech House Publisher, Boston, London, 2001.