In this paper, a single band-notched at 5.2 GHz with complementary split ring resonator (CSRR) ultra-wideband (UWB) antenna and its implementation in designing of two element multiple-input multiple-output (MIMO) with high and uniform isolation are experimentally demonstrated. The proposed UWB MIMO consists of T-shaped stub in ground plane in between antenna elements of the size of λat 3.1 GHz/4 to achieve minimum 20 dB isolation, which is almost uniform in entire UWB band. The size of the UWB MIMO antenna is 0.31λat 3.1 GHz×0.434λat 3.1 GHz×0.008λat 3.1 GHz mm3 and it is printed on RT/duroid 5880 substrate (ɛr = 2.2, tanδ = 0.0009), which leads to good gain and high total efficiency of the antenna in operating bands. The simulated and measured result shows good agreement for the impedance bandwidth (|S11| < -10 dB) and isolation (|S21| < -20 dB) most of the operating band, excluding the notched band at 5.2 GHz in UWB range. The simulated, measured and calculated MIMO antenna diversity parameters proves that the antenna is suitable for UWB MIMO systems.
2. US Federal Communications Commission, et al., "FCC revision of part 15 of the commission’s rules regarding ultra-wideband transmission systems: First report and order," Technical Report, Feb. 2002.
3. Liu, L., S. W. Cheung, and T. I. Yuk, "Compact MIMO antenna for portable devices in UWB applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 61, No. 8, 4257-4264, Aug. 2013.
4. Ren, J., W. Hu, Y. Yin, and R. Fan, "Compact printed MIMO antenna for UWB applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 13, 1517-1520, Jul. 2014.
5. Lee, J. M., K. B. Kim, H. K. Ryu, and J. M. Woo, "A compact ultrawide-band MIMO antenna with WLAN band-rejected operation for mobile devices," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 11, 990-993, Aug. 2012.
6. Koohestani, M., A. A. Moreira, and A. K. Skrivervik, "A novel compact CPW-fed polarization diversity ultrawideband antenna," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 13, 563-566, Mar. 2014.
7. Li, H., J. Liu, Z. Wang, and Y. Z. Yin, "Compact 1 × 2 and 2 × 2 MIMO antennas with enhanced isolation for ultrawideband application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 71, 41-49, Jan. 2017.
8. Sipal, D., M. P. Abegaonkar, and S. K. Koul, "Compact band-notched UWB antenna for MIMO applications in portable wireless devices," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 58, No. 6, 1390-1394, Jun. 2016.
9. Zhao, J. Y., Z. Y. Zhang, Q. Q. Liu, G. Fu, and S. X. Gong, "Printed UWB MIMO antenna with different polarizations and band-notch characteristics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 46, 113-118, Jun. 2014.
10. Gupta, K. C., R. Garg, I. J. Bhal, and P. Bhartia, Microstrip Lines and Slotlines, 2nd Ed., 10-15, Artech House, 1996.
11. Baena, J. D., et al., "Equivalent-circuit models for split-ring resonators and complementary split-ring resonators coupled to planar transmission lines," IEEE Trans. on Micro. Theory and Tech., Vol. 53, No. 4, 1451-1461, Apr. 2005.
12. Kang, L., H. Li, X. Wang, and X. Shi, "Compact offset microstrip-fed MIMO antenna for band-notched UWB applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 14, 1754-1757, Apr. 2015.
13. Gao, P., S. He, X. Wei, Z. Xu, N. Wang, and Y. Zheng, "Compact printed UWB diversity slot antenna with 5.5-GHz band-notched characteristics," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 13, 376-379, Jan. 2014.
14. Liu, L., S. W. Cheung, and T. I. Yuk, "Compact MIMO antenna for portable UWB applications with band-notched characteristic," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 63, No. 5, 1917-1924, May 2015.
15. Ibrahim, A. A., J. Machac, and R. M. Shubair, "Compact UWB MIMO antenna with pattern diversity and band rejection characteristics," Microwave and Optical Tech. Lett., Vol. 59, No. 6, 1460-1464, Jun. 2017.
16. Latif, F., F. A. Tahir, M. U. Khan, and M. S. Sharawi, "An ultra-wide band diversity antenna with band-rejection capability for imaging applications," Microwave and Optical Tech. Lett., Vol. 59, No. 7, 1661-1668, May 2017.
17. Liu, G., Y. Liu, and S. Gong, "Compact uniplanar UWB MIMO antenna with band-notched characteristic," Microwave and Optical Tech. Lett., Vol. 59, No. 9, 2207-2212, Jun. 2017.