Fragment-type structure has been used to design antennas and microwave circuits. Special optimization technique, including optimization algorithm and EM software (electromagnetic) simulator, is necessary for the design of this kind of structure. In this paper, a novel optimization technique, MOEA/D-GO+FDTD, is proposed, where MOEA/D-GO (multiobjective evolutionary algorithm combined with enhanced genetic operators) serves as the optimization algorithm and Finite-Difference Time-Domain (FDTD) method serves as the electromagnetic simulator. As an example, a compact bandpass microstrip filter is designed by using MOEA/D-GO+FDTD. Firstly, numerical simulation of the fragment-type microstrip filter by using FDTD method is investigated. Secondly, a microstrip filter operating at 3.8GHz-6.5GHz is designed through optimizing return loss, insertion loss, and out-of-band rejection. Finally, comparison of the computational costs between different electromagnetic simulators verifies high efficiency of the proposed MOEA/D-GO+FDTD.
2. Choo, H. and H. Ling, "Design of broadband and dual-band microstrip antennas on a high-dielectric substrate using a genetic algorithm," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 150, No. 3, 137-142, Jun. 2003.
3. Alatan, L., M. I. Aksun, and K. Leblebicioglu, "Use of computationally efficient method of moments in the optimization of printed antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 47, No. 4, 725-732, Apr. 1999.
4. Soontornpipit, P., C. M. Furse, and C. C. You, "Miniaturized biocompatible microstrip antenna using genetic algorithm," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 6, 1939-1945, Jun. 2005.
5. Wang, L. and G. Wang, "Design of high-directivity wideband microstrip directional coupler with fragment-type structure," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 63, No. 12, 3962-3970, Oct. 2016.
6. Zhao, Q., G. Wang, and D. W. Ding, "Compact microstrip bandpass filter with fragment-loaded resonators," Microwave and Optical Technoly Letters, Vol. 56, No. 12, 2896-2899, Sep. 2014.
7. Sigmund, O. and K. Maute, "Topology optimization approaches: A comparative review," Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization, Vol. 48, No. 6, 1031-1055, 2013.
8. Ding, D. W. and G. Wang, "MOEA/D-GO for fragmented antenna design," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 33, 1-5, 2013.
9. Zhang, Q. and H. Li, "MOEA/D: A multiobjective evolutionary algorithm based on decomposition," IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation, Vol. 11, No. 6, 712-731, Nov. 2007.
10. John, M. and M. J. Ammann, "Design of a wide-band printed antenna using a genetic algorithm on an array of overlapping sub-patches," IEEE International Workshop on Antenna Technology Small Antennas and Novel Metamaterials, 92-95, 2006.
11. Goojo, K. and Y. C. Chung, "Optimization of UHF RFID tag antennas using a genetic algorithm," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 2087-2090, Oct. 9-14, 2006.
12. Jin, Z., H. Yang, and X. Tang, "Parameters and schemes selection in the optimization of the Computational Science and Optimization,", Vol. 2, 259-262, May 2010.
13. Yang, L. X., X. D. Ding, and D. W. Ding, "Numerical simulation of fragment-type antenna by using finite difference time domain (FDTD)," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 55, 133-142, 2017.
14. Sheen, D. M., S. M. Ali, and M. D. Abouzahra, "Application of the three-dimensional Finite-Difference Time-Domain method to the analysis of planar microstrip circuits," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 8, No. 7, 849-857, Jun. 1990.