An octagonal shape monopole antenna with dual band-notched features used for ultra-wide band applications is presented. The monopole antenna has good impedance matching from 3.4 GHz to 12 GHz. The dual notched bands are achieved by using a U-shaped parasitic strip and meandered slot etched in the radiating patch. The first band notched is achieved using meandered slot to reduce the interference with WIMAX from 3.3 GHz to 3.9 GHz. The second band notched is achieved using U-shaped parasitic strip which is placed above the ground plane to eliminate the interference with WLAN from 5.2 GHz to 5.9 GHz. The proposed antenna is designed, simulated and measured. The measured result show that the antenna structure achieves (VSWR < 2) from 3.2 to 10.8 GHz. Also, the simulated radiation pattern and current distribution at different frequencies are presented. The measured and simulated results confirm that the proposed antenna is suitable for UWB applications.
2. Fontana, R. J., "Recent system applications of short-pulse ultra- wideband (UWB) technology," IEEE Trans. MTT, Vol. 52, No. 9, 2087-2104, 2004.
3. Taheri, M. M. S., H. R. Hassani, and S. M. A. Nezhad, "UWB printed slot antenna with Bluetooth and dual notch bands," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, 255-258, 2011.
4. Abdelraheem, A. M., M. A. Abdalla, H. A. Elregily, and A. A. Mitkees, "Coplanar UWB antenna for high speed communication systems," 2012 International Conference on Engineering and Technology (ICET), 1-5, Oct. 2012.
5. Osman, M. A. R., M. K. A. Rahim, M. Azfar, N. A. Samsuri, F. Zubir, and K. Kamardin, "Design, implementation and performance of ultra-wideband textile antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 27, 307-325, 2011.
6. Zhan, K., Q. Guo, and K. Huang, "A miniature planar antenna for Bluetooth and UWB applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 16, 2299-2308, 2010.
7. Azim, R. M., T. Islam, and N. Misran, "Ground modified double-sided printed compact UWB antenna," IET Electronics Letters, Vol. 47, No. 1, 9-11, 2011.
8. Li, W. T., Y. Q. Hei, W. Feng, and X. W. Shi, "Planar antenna for 3G/Bluetooth/WiMAX and UWB applications with dual band-notched characteristics," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 11, 61-64, 2012.
9. Boutejdar, A., A. A. Ibrahim, and E. P. Burte, "A compact multiple band-notched planer antenna with enhanced bandwidth using parasitic strip lumped capacitors and DGS-technique," TELKOMNIKA Indonesian Journal of Electrical Engineering, Vol. 13, No. 2, 2014.
10. Ibrahim, A. A., H. F. A. Hamed, M. Alla El-Din, A. Abdel-alla, and E. Yahia, "A compact planer UWB antenna with band-notched characteristics," ICET, 2014.
11. Liao, X.-J., H.-C. Yang, and L. Y. Yang, "Aperture UWB antenna with triple band-notched characteristics," Electron Lett., Vol. 44, 77-79, 2011.
12. Abdelraheem, A. M., M. A. Abdalla, and M. Sharaf, "UWB-notched antenna for nearby WiMAX systems interference immunity," 30th National Radio Science Conference (NRSC2013), 123-131, National Telecommunication Institute, Egypt, 2013.
13. Thomas, K. G. and M. Sreenivasan, "A simple ultrawideband planar rectangular printed antenna with band dispensation," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 1, 27-34, 2010.
14. Abbosh, A. M. and M. E. Bialkowski, "Design of UWB planar band-notched antenna using parasitic elements," IEEE Trans. Antenna Propag., Vol. 57, No. 3, 796-799, 2009.
15. Boutejdar, A., A. A. Ibrahim, and E. P. Burte, "Novel microstrip antenna aims at UWB applications," Microwave & RF, 2015.
16. Ibrahim, A. A., M. A Abdalla, and A. Boutejdar, "Resonator switching techniques for notched UWB antenna in wireless applications," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 9, No. 13, 1468-1477, 2015.
17. Boutejdar, A. and W. Abd Ellatif, "A novel compact UWB monopole antenna with enhanced bandwidth using triangular defected microstrip structure and stepped cut technique," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 58, 1514-1519, 2016.
18. Li, A., Y. W. Li, and W. W. Yu, "A switchable UWB slot antenna using SIS-HSIR and SIS-SIR for multi-mode wireless communications applications," Applied Computational Electromagnetics Society Journal, Vol. 27, 340-351, 2012.
19. Tawk, B. Y. and C. G. Christodoulou, "A new reconfigurable antenna design for cognitive radio," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 8, 1378-1381, 2009.
20. Li, C. Y., W. Li, and Q. Ye, "A reconfigurable wide slot antenna integrated with sirs for UWB/multiband communication applications," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 55, 52-55, 2013.
21. Al-Husseini, D. M., A. Ramadan, A. El-Hajj, K. Y. Kabalan, Y. Tawk, and C. G. Christodoulou, "Design based on complementary split-ring resonators of an antenna with controllable band notches for UWB cognitive radio applications," Proceedings of the IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation and USNC/URSI National Radio Science Meeting (APSURSI'11), 1120-1122, July 2011.
22. Li, E., Y. W. Li, and Q. Ye, "Miniaturization of asymmetric coplanar strip-fed staircase ultrawideband antenna with reconfigurable notch band," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 55, 1467-1470, 2013.